Why become a member? ×

Newtone Strings

Rayman

4 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I’m a big fan of DR strings but always keen to support a small local maker.

So for a hi beam alternative Diamond hex core is the way to go I’d imagine?

Hi Beams are round core, n'est-ce pas? I think the Diamond in stainless with round cores is the nearest equivalent.

• Like 2

Another lover of Newtones! Think I might need to order some more soon actually…

I like the picks they’ve started doing too, though annoyingly dropped my favourite one down the bit between my car seat and the centre console and can’t find it 😭

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Hi Beams are round core, n'est-ce pas? I think the Diamond in stainless with round cores is the nearest equivalent.

Yeah I think you’re right actually! Cool will order a sample pack. I’ve experimented with a few other brands but always end up playing for a few hours before shifting them to a backup bass and popping the DRs back on. Keen to see how these go!!!

• Like 2

I've been and on-and-off user of Newtone Strings since the early 90s.

In those days ordering involved phoning Malcolm to discuss what you needed, then sending a cheque for the payment and getting your strings in the post couple of weeks later. The process has certainly become simpler since then!

At the time there were very few off-the-shelf options for those of us who needed something other than standard gauge 34" scale 4-string sets. Newtone came through for me when Rotosound had proved incapable of making a usable low B-string for my 36" Overwater, and while it was possible to get a suitable set of Elites they were nothing special and they still took a couple weeks to order in a my local music shop. A guitarist friend suggested I try Newtone, and when the strings arrived in the post I found them to be exactly what I needed in terms of feel and sound. I even tried a set of their short scale strings for my old Burns Sonic bass and once again they were so much better than the standard shop-bought options at the time.

I continued to get Newtone strings for all my basses for the next 10+ years until I discovered internet bass forums and this along with the ease of ordering on-line from anywhere in the world opened up a much larger range of options for strings. By this point I was also mostly playing 34" scale basses, so finding usable well-made strings was less problematic.

However since I started playing Bass VIs I have gone back to Newtone for their Axion Bass VI sets which are a fraction of the price of the main alternative from Labella. When I have used up my current reserves of 5-string sets I'll be ordering replacements for those from Newtone too.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Has anyone here tried the Platinum strings on a five string? I'm wondering what the B string is like. I was on flatwounds for years, then made the jump to rounds last year looking for a bit more clank out of my bass. I found I enjoy my current Rotosound nickels once they've been played for a few months, but the rough feel still annoys me. So the notion of a smoother feeling string with a "played-in rounds" sound might be just the job.

Hi @Beer of the Bass I've Been using Platinum 5 string sets for years I find them to have more smooth growl to the B, I think they feel played in straight out the pack.  I'd say order a set and try them out.  They will take about 2 weeks to arrive but I think for the money they are great strings.

My usual is 50-130 round core nickel plated platinum.

Jonny

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonnybass said:

Hi @Beer of the Bass I've Been using Platinum 5 string sets for years I find them to have more smooth growl to the B, I think they feel played in straight out the pack.  I'd say order a set and try them out.  They will take about 2 weeks to arrive but I think for the money they are great strings.

My usual is 50-130 round core nickel plated platinum.

Jonny

Cheers, sounds like they'll probably work OK for me. I find sometimes when I go for a less bright string type that the B can be dead sounding even if the other four are doing what I want, so I just wanted to check the Platinums don't suffer too much from that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Cheers, sounds like they'll probably work OK for me. I find sometimes when I go for a less bright string type that the B can be dead sounding even if the other four are doing what I want, so I just wanted to check the Platinums don't suffer too much from that.

I know what you mean but I find them to be really balanced across all 5 strings, I have them on two basses, both sound good.  Also for me they last a while before they need changing.  I'd say heavy gigging for me I'd be looking at 6 weeks easy.  With DRs or dunlops I would be lucky to get 5 weeks.  but YMMV.

Jonny

p.s. Im sure someone popped a discount code up in the thread, not sure if its still active.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Another fan here. I've just ordered two sets of acoustic guitar strings and I probably need to order another set of bass strings, to replace the ones I've just put on.

I came across Newtone through Jon Gomm who recommended them for his acoustic set. I have a set on my acoustic guitar now and they sound great, even on a cheapy Indonesian Fender. Well, five of them do as I managed to snap one when installing them (the perils of being a bass player who can be a bit rougher, I guess) so one is a used Ernie Ball, but it all adds to the character or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Drop a note on their website and you should get an answer from pretty quickly.

I asked a few years ago and they had no plans to do flats then, it's a big investment in materials, and r and d, and machine time, it's probably the latter that is the biggest restriction, ultimately for not much in sales.

If they did them I'd buy some, but probably only 1 set per instrument, in 10 years 😲

This thread has been brilliant. I've discovered that all the strings I've liked, played and come back to over the years have been Hexcore and the the ones that have been less favourable have been Roundcore. Up until now, I didn't even know the difference. As a fretless player, I've never tried Nickel strings but after a few comments on here, I gave a set of Rotosound 66 Nickel Hybrid SM66N a go on my fretless Jazz (needed strings anyway and they were in stock for £19) and oh my, the tone is to die for and they are amazing to play. So my next move is to purchase a set of Newtone Nickel Hexcore rounds. I'm expecting really good things after the comments on here.

• Like 1

Late to the party but yet more love for Newtone… like others, have been using their acoustic strings for years… decades, actually, including custom sets for my Fylde Bouzouki. Back in the pre-internet days it was always nice having a chat with Malcolm on the phone. The guys who took over from him when he retired seem to have carried on the ethos of hand winding the best possible quality strings.

Using their Diamond 45-105s on my Frankenjazz,and one of my Wals. They’ll be the choice for restringing my other Wal and my Aria when the time next comes to order some strings… love their strings.

Another vote here for Newtone. I was looking for heavy gauge strings for my Dingwalls and was struggling. Ended up going for Payson… found they would die insanely quick. Like 2 band practices (including wiping down) and they’d sound guff. 

tried the Newtone ones (Northlane G# set) and I’m insanely happy. I’ve ordered sets so I have them ready when required. 

100% would recommend, especially for an extended scale bass. 

9 hours ago, woodyratm said:

Another vote here for Newtone. I was looking for heavy gauge strings for my Dingwalls and was struggling. Ended up going for Payson… found they would die insanely quick. Like 2 band practices (including wiping down) and they’d sound guff. 

tried the Newtone ones (Northlane G# set) and I’m insanely happy. I’ve ordered sets so I have them ready when required. 

100% would recommend, especially for an extended scale bass. 

Oooh, interesting. I quite like the Payson strings and don't find they die that quickly for me. I wonder if the Newtones might last even longer for me...

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

Oooh, interesting. I quite like the Payson strings and don't find they die that quickly for me. I wonder if the Newtones might last even longer for me...

Worth a gander! I think it worked out as 2 x 2hr band practices plus 15mins live, and the zing was completely gone. I had hoped to get through a recording session without replacing them (because I was feeling cheap bahahah) but no joy. Dead as the dodo!

On 25/01/2024 at 12:42, SpondonBassed said:

But they do do double ball ends though don't they though.

I took my Steinberger Spirit five to them, they measured up and made me a fine set.

they may have done once but not anymore according to a chat i and last week with them ...apparently their jig has busted?

• Thanks 1