Why become a member? ×

Newtone Strings

Rayman

A heads up, for easily the best strings I've used in decades.

Anyone looking to try something new, check them out. My Warwicks, my Thunderbird (main gigging bass) and at least half a dozen of my other basses are fitted with them. Sustain for days, piano like tone and good longevity, even with a sweaty bugger like me, and very reasonably priced.

Order well in advance, because they're a small maker in Derbyshire, and it takes a couple of weeks to get them made and shipped.

I am in no way affiliated, never met them (although I drive right past them often) and there's nothing in it for me...... just saying. absolutely awesome strings.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'd second that, I love Newtone strings for the same reasons.

Out of interest, do use always use the same type?  I usually go with the platinum for my 5 but im going to try the diamond on one of my 4's to see if theres a difference.

Jonny

• Like 1

Newtone are excellent!  I have nothing but good to say about Neil and the strings themselves. Indeed, my first introduction was back when Malcom Newton was at the helm and, with Jon Shuker, he produced the first .170 gauge strings in the UK for my 7 string bass. He'd cooked the recipe to suit a 34" scale (I know right, I wasn't aware of what a 37" scale could do for me back then ha ha!!) and, I still have one of the original F#'s here for posterity!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonnybass said:

I'd second that, I love Newtone strings for the same reasons.

Out of interest, do use always use the same type?  I usually go with the platinum for my 5 but im going to try the diamond on one of my 4's to see if theres a difference.

Jonny

I have the exact same set every time.

Nickel plated steel, Hex core, 40-100.

• Like 2

You could always try their Platinum range with a hexagonal core. They are physically very smooth feeling with a decently high tension and produce very pleasant fundementals. There is a video demonstrating all the bass string variants on their website.

I have just put a set of the new nickel 46 - 100 Shorties on a bass and they are sounding really good.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

How's the tension? 

I use 50-130 roundcore nickel plated steel on my 34 inch scale ACG and they are nice and flexible, not stiff like Roto 66's and not quite as loose as other strings, feel is allot like DR high beams to me.

Jonny

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jonnybass said:

I use 50-130 roundcore nickel plated steel on my 34 inch scale ACG and they are nice and flexible, not stiff like Roto 66's and not quite as loose as other strings, feel is allot like DR high beams to me.

Jonny

Thanks, I'll try them out 😃

• Like 2

Has anyone here tried the Platinum strings on a five string? I'm wondering what the B string is like. I was on flatwounds for years, then made the jump to rounds last year looking for a bit more clank out of my bass. I found I enjoy my current Rotosound nickels once they've been played for a few months, but the rough feel still annoys me. So the notion of a smoother feeling string with a "played-in rounds" sound might be just the job.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Ive never heard of this maker. Can i ask why they are above and beyond? Interested to know your reasons.

I can't give you technical reasons, all I know is that, after years of trying different brands (Rotosound, Ernie Ball, D'Addario) the first time I tried a set of their strings my P-bass sounded exactly like I thought it should. I haven't looked back since. I'm still digging D'Addario strings on my Sire, but I'm keen to try Newtone strings on it at some point. They aren't the cheapest but they certainly aren't outrageously priced, and I'm happy to pay a little extra to support a British company that makes a quality product.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Has anyone here tried the Platinum strings on a five string? I'm wondering what the B string is like. I was on flatwounds for years, then made the jump to rounds last year looking for a bit more clank out of my bass. I found I enjoy my current Rotosound nickels once they've been played for a few months, but the rough feel still annoys me. So the notion of a smoother feeling string with a "played-in rounds" sound might be just the job.

It's been years since I last used Rotos but I recall sandpaper being smoother than their strings...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Ive never heard of this maker. Can i ask why they are above and beyond? Interested to know your reasons.

For one thing, they made me a replacement set of strings more quickly than a major shop in Derby could get them in.

• Like 1