Why become a member? ×

Withdrawal Symptoms/Abstinences From Not Playing Bass?

Withdrawal Symptoms/Abstinences From Not Playing Bass?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from withdrawal symptoms/abstinences if not getting to play bass on a regular basis?

• Sometimes...
    • Yes!
    • No, never!

I have setup my home practice bass setup right next to where my computer, where I spend most of my average day, is, so that all I need to do whenever I feel like playing or get an idea that needs tested is turn my chair, plug in my studio headphones and the power plug, and then pick up my bass, and on an average I tend to play 10 to 30 minutes, 4 to 5 times on an average day, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more.

However this has resulted in me suffering from abstinences whenever I for some reason am not able to play when I feel like it. 

Does anyone else suffer from psychological withdrawal symptoms/abstinences if not, for whatever reason, getting to play bass on a regular basis?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• Baloney Balderdash changed the title to Withdrawal Symptoms/Abstinences From Not Playing Bass?
11 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

😱

On, a more serious note, do you then feel this way about not getting to play drums on a regular basis?

I've been playing drums for well over half a century, on and off, and my current retirement has not led to any symptoms that I can't deal with. Quite the opposite now; I get renewed pleasure when I do 'get back on the wagon', especially if there's a gig in the offing. For a few years (many years ago now...), I was playing either at home, practicing, or out gigging, all day, evening and night, every day, so it was rather a respite when I did get a little bit of time off. It's so easy to fall into the 'burn-out' trap from excess of zealous over-playing. It's useful to take a break, even a short one, for re-appraisal, and pick up on other aspects of Life. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

I used to get withdrawal symptoms if on holiday etc back in the day . 
These days now that my gear is home use only , I spend more time on my synths ( with the odd bass line here and there ).

Not every day , but am working on it .   
If I was spending time away for more than a couple of days , I'd be taking the iPad mini which has many musical apps 

Very handy ! 

• Like 1

I used to miss playing bass if I couldn't for some reason, and quite excited about getting back to it - after a holiday for example.

Sadly no more. I play bass most days, more often as 'something to do',  it feels, rather burning desire to make music.

I feel a lot of the love I had is gone these days. So it goes.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

I haven't been motivated to pick up a bass for a while now.

I bought myself a  geeetar for Xmas/ birthday to continue doing something musically till I do get motivated again. 

Sometimes I need a break to recharge my love of playing. 

• Like 3

I gig so frequently that I absolutely cannot stand the sight of a bass guitar, 90% of the time. I'm very happy when I get 2-3 week break -  it doesn't even come out of its case! 😁

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I gig so frequently that I absolutely cannot stand the sight of a bass guitar, 90% of the time. I'm very happy when I get 2-3 week break -  it doesn't even come out of its case! 😁

That's kind of sad. :(

Tragic even...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, 40hz said:

34 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That's kind of sad. :(

Tragic even...

No, I feel the same to a certain extent. It's great to play when I gig though - love it! I just don't really want to touch in between gigs

• Like 1

In my early 20s, before I was gigging professionally, I practiced 2-3 hours 5 or 6 days a week. At that time I would definitely feel the need to play, on reflection I think because I was worried I wouldn't make the progress I felt I needed to make to work as a musician. Then in my mid to late 20s I was gigging 2-4 nights a week or more, and I pretty much stopped practicing unless it was to learn songs for a gig. At that point I was glad to be away from the instrument that was my job.

Now I'm a secondary teacher and I've been reducing the number of gigs I do a year (mostly weddings, though trying to transition to more original or interesting covers). I definitely have a feeling of withdrawal from the gigging more than the instrument itself, more out of habit as I spent 3 or 4 years gigging several times a week. My girlfriend tells me a get real weird when I don't have a gig on a Saturday night! I aim to practice or learn a song I wouldn't otherwise have to learn a few nights a week but life is tiring and busy. I haven't touched the bass at all this week (though I might take it to the jam later).

• Like 1

Sometimes.

I try to play for at least 30 minutes per day but I struggle to play bass or guitar for its own sake. I usually play because I'm learning a new song, practising for a rehearsal of gig or writing new songs. I was recently offered a rhythm guitar slot with a mate's band which has resulted in me practising the guitar and re-learning some technique as well as learning the chords to songs I've been playing for years on bass (so many notes 😂).  

If I'm away from my gear, it's rare that I'm thinking about playing or gigs unless they are imminent. But I do enjoy that moment after a break in playing when I pick up the bass and start again.

• Like 1

I have band practice on average every two weeks, a few gigs and apart from that the bass stays away unless I have to make a little effort to learn something new.

I have little to interest in playing outside of gigs and band practice. That’s my full of bass and I quite like having some time off.

If I pick up anything around the house it’s my acoustic guitar or Ukulele.

• Like 2

I’ve hurt some tendons in my fretting hand forearm which was aggravated by playing so much in the run up to Christmas. 

As a result I’m trying to play as little as possible at the moment while I’ve got no gigs for a bit. 

I’m find it extremely hard not to noodle or play at all! It’s something I do every day in some way. Feel like I need to sit on my hands or something. 

• Like 3

I'm 53 and have done thousands of gigs. Some years its only being about 10 a year, others 30 to 40 and a few years ago, well over 100. So I'm always playing a practising. I would also say that I play every day, anything from 10 mins to 3 - 4 hours. The last few years, I'm playing about 40 gigs a year and we rehearse every Tuesday. However, what I do find is the following day after a gig, I'm waking up with a sore neck/shoulder and sometimes a headache. Its probably an age thing and a tension headache bought on from the sniff neck and shoulder. Prior to Friday's gig, the last gig I played was November 16th so a few months back so the following day was particularly noticeable for a headache and stiff neck and shoulders.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 2

I'm not doing anything bandwise right now, but I'm contributing some bass stuff remotely for a studio project.

I have a couple of basses out and I'm getting more pleasure out of looking at them than I am actually playing.  Once the project is done, they'll just go back in their cases.

Mindset now is I can just take it or leave it.

• Like 1

I definitely get withdrawal if I don't play it for a day or two because I always want to play it. For me it's also a job but I also absolutely love playing it and apart from a few years where I fell out of love with it in my twenties (I got fed up with being a touring band musician and lost sigjg of why I loved the bass) I've been playing it since I was ten so it's been like a best friend and I find practicing like a sort of release in the same way people like going for a run or a walk! 

• Like 5

I've been away working all week and I'm itching to play bass! I don't think I've done more than twenty or thirty minutes playing since before Christmas, well, except a gig on the 5th January! Life is busy and I can't always play when I want to but I definitely get the itch to play if I haven't done for a week or so, or if I heard something on the radio and I want to see if I can work it out.

• Like 1

I treated myself to a new bass - that is far better than my playing deserves - in December: it’s taking a bit of getting used to, but the more I play, the more I find I get on with it.

It went to luthier to have an active/passive switch fitted, and I found I was pining after it every day.

Now it’s back, I play every day. I find it very satisfying.

(And I feel like I’m justifying the expense - can’t wait for this year’s first gig next month!)

• Like 1

The only time I’ve gone any time without gigging was when everything was shut down because of the pandemic. And being retired gives me much more practice time than I had before.

I’m thankful to put in the time. 

• Like 1

Other than being ill I never go more than a day without playing (I always take Sundays off to rest the soft tissues.)  

By virtue of being ill I've had other things to worry about than practicing bass so I could not really say.

Even when working abroad, or latterly when going on holiday, I take my Hofner Shorty and Tascam GB10. On holiday I may only do an hour as opposed to my usual 90 mins+, but that's the only concession.

What I can say is that the thought of not playing makes me nervous, so I strive to avoid that scenario. I love it, its who I am and what I do.

Edited by Bassfinger
Followed through on a fart, had to clean up the mess before the Missus found out
  • Like 1