Why become a member? ×

strap length

NHM

Generally, lower looks cooler (yeah, can go too far as per pic above!). However, I do like to attempt the slappy stuff, and that kind of needs the bass higher. So I'm South of nerdy but North of cool.

One thing I hate to see is fingerstyle playing with a bass really high, I really don't like that limp wrist look. Absolutely not for me. 

If you want to avoid issues like RSI, tendinitis/tennis elbow etc then getting this right is important. Whilst people are different, the general guidance is having it further south to join the cool kids is not a good idea. Advice I received from tutors when starting out was it should be in the same place whether standing or sitting. As a cellist I can tell you getting posture, fingering, and bow grip wrong can give you serious problems    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angel said:

One thing I hate to see is fingerstyle playing with a bass really high, I really don't like that limp wrist look. Absolutely not for me. 

What about finger style and really low?

800px-Robert_Trujillo_2017.jpg

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 19:49, Baloney Balderdash said:

117cm, and I am 6'4'' (192cm) tall.

It matches so that the bass is at about the same location as it would have been if sitting down playing it without a strap.

So after I posted this I decided that I would try to experiment a bit with the strap length to see if I could possibly get a better result, and what I've found was that just moving down to the next strap hole in line, which would make the strap 129cm from strap button to strap button, my wrists actually is almost perfectly straight when fretting with my elbow at just about a 90 degree angle, and playing at the upper end of the fretboard, beyond 12th fret, feels significantly less circumstantial and cramped.

Also my bass in general balanced better on my fat belly, now resting more on the middle of it, rather than sitting halfway on top of it.

So for now I'll keep the strap at 129cm.

(Edit!!!: 126.5cm hole to hole, currently. This also seems to be pretty much spot on where my bass would naturally be if I sat with it.)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

What about finger style and really low?

800px-Robert_Trujillo_2017.jpg

That's a good picture. Dangle it too low and it becomes difficult to rotate the fretting hand far enought forward to reach E.

To compensate many players hold the bass more upright hat the norm, a la Bill Wyman, well illustrated here.

The way I play Can't Stop, in the bridge there's an F# on the 14th fret I struggle to reach with my little finger. I could play it on the A string or use my ring finger but habit...

Usually in this situation I just swing the neck more vertical and that allows me to reach round.

The hit lists has always consisted of absolutely horrendous music without any substance, this is not just a modern phenomena!

Exhibit A :

14 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I think fashion dictates the height in some cases. Back in the 60s high was the thing, all of the Searchers seemed to be trying to strangle themselves 😂

Edited by Cat Burrito

On 06/01/2024 at 21:03, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I have the strap length the same sitting down or standing .  As told by Billy Sheehan . 

Came here to say the same, +1 for this, makes everything more consistent

As well as strap length... Top Button position

Lesser Top-Horn or Odd Shape often have the Button at the Neck/Bridge Join

Ric's are only a smidgen shorter than the 34 Norm, but Lemmy had a Neck / Body Strap Button rather than Top Horn... This will move the neck further out... Might annoye, Might get ya comfy...