Why become a member? ×

1962 Precision

Bass Fumbler

It's not the original finish on the body, either, which they don't mention. Gerry's not playing a burst in the picture and there is wear in the picture which doesn't appear on the instrument now. A complete refinish, shonky wiring and the seller really isn't disclosing everything they should... but it's old, so ten grand? I assume this shop has big windows 😂

If I were looking to buy an old P Bass this is exactly what I would not be looking for, unless it was available at a bargain price.

If I was investing in a vintage bass I would spend a little bit more to get an all-original example. Ten grand is an awful lot of money for a compromise.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

Hmm... alarm bells all over here.  I'm by no means a vintage Fender expert but I can see that the bass and description don't match.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bass was red originally.  The 5 indicates that the neck is a P bass spec (not that the bass was made or finished on 5th September).  It could be a lovely player and nice that there's some history.  However, it's an awful lot of money for a bass that looks to have significant mods (let's face it, it's just an awful lot of money!)

4 hours ago, WishIcouldplay said:

should this not be a 3 tone burst with a tort guard?

From factory yes, but Fender did sell on that guard as an aftermarket option back then, like mentioned in my post above. Her bass started with tort, but very soon after she got a new guard to match his Strat, and gold hardware too I think. Classic family photo below…

Or if it was red then resprayed ignore the above. 

IMG_4817.jpeg

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

From factory yes, but Fender did sell on that guard as an aftermarket option back then, like mentioned in my post above. Her bass started with tort, but very soon after she got a new guard to match his Strat, and gold hardware too I think. Classic family photo below…

IMG_4817.jpeg

It is being payed with a pick. Unclean.

This is a joke.

On 19/12/2023 at 13:24, Chiliwailer said:

IMG_4817.jpeg

Is that guard definitely not anodised?

6 hours ago, martthebass said:

Lets play nice gentlemen....

I must have missed the posts where people weren't?

We've a shop selling for a very large amount of money an instrument that I doubt they have the expertise to fully evaluate (examples being misinterpretation of serial number, supposed originality of case, and the fact that if you go back through their sold inventory they generally deal in basses that sell for a small percentage of what they're asking for this), and a few folks have pointed out some of the issues. Even if the PG were original - which seems unlikely - the finish looks like no other '62 I've seen - and yes while each instrument fades differently there are some boundaries to how far that difference operates. I won't go into details but I suspect at least one member here has been drawn into buying a 'rare' bass from a reputable seller only to find that it's not what they believed they were buying and the seller hiding behind the commission sale excuse. Feels this thread and the other thread about the same bass are doing a public service? OK, might be 100% genuine and original, but there's nothing like enough info from the shop to suggest that's the case, and a lot of reasons to suggest it's not? 

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I must have missed the posts where people weren't?

We've a shop selling for a very large amount of money an instrument that I doubt they have the expertise to fully evaluate (examples being misinterpretation of serial number, supposed originality of case, and the fact that if you go back through their sold inventory they generally deal in basses that sell for a small percentage of what they're asking for this), and a few folks have pointed out some of the issues. Even if the PG were original - which seems unlikely - the finish looks like no other '62 I've seen - and yes while each instrument fades differently there are some boundaries to how far that difference operates. I won't go into details but I suspect at least one member here has been drawn into buying a 'rare' bass from a reputable seller only to find that it's not what they believed they were buying and the seller hiding behind the commission sale excuse. Feels this thread and the other thread about the same bass are doing a public service? OK, might be 100% genuine and original, but there's nothing like enough info from the shop to suggest that's the case, and a lot of reasons to suggest it's not? 

Agree with you 100% Chris. If we’re getting into it, what winds me up here is that the photo clearly shows a solid colour. but the text only states neck refin. Ambiguous adverts are such a red flag.