Why become a member? ×

Tricky Bass Lines - what gives?

Thor

I’ve been asked to dep for a covers band and at first glance of their set list I thought to myself I know 90% of what they're doing, but among the songs was She's Not There by The Zombies - I've never played it before but found it really trick to learn.

I've now learnt it but what a tricky bass line I've found it to finger.

That got me to wondering if you guys find certain songs awkward to play and if so, and you don't mind sharing, what are they?🙂

• Like 1

Dazed & Confused by Led Zeppelin, it’s the middle bit on the A, the riff is easy enough but it just repeats for what seems ages and if it’s out with the drums it stands on like an extra proverbial on a boxer dog. I need my concentration on that one to be at max.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

This charming man by the Smiths, I can probably play with no mess ups 40% of the time, very busy bass part and all over the neck

That is a good bass part. As long as you know the key you’re fine as it’s all pretty simple based on that.

56 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

That is a good bass part. As long as you know the key you’re fine as it’s all pretty simple based on that.

It's the speed of it that gets me, a lot of notes crammed in, actually it's just the part in the "jumped up pantry boy" part, in that section there is a mixture of various descending parts and walks up that use every string and span from the low part of the next on the E string up to the dusty end on the G

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

It's the speed of it that gets me, a lot of notes crammed in, actually it's just the part in the "jumped up pantry boy" part, in that section there is a mixture of various descending parts and walks up that use every string and span from the low part of the next on the E string up to the dusty end on the G

Haha, I know it well. In fact, playing the Smiths was how I learnt to play. It’s all scale stuff so as long as you can mail that, it’s not so hard.

Have you tried Songsterr? I’m a massive fan of it for learning stuff. It’s an excellent resource.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

What's the frequency Kenneth by REM

The rhythms are just weird. Every time I play it, I'll play something half a beat early or late.

All of REMs bass lines I've tried are rhythmically weird but they sound so good when played right.

Agreed- I've played a few in covers bands and they're more challenging than they first appear.

On 10/12/2023 at 13:04, Lozz196 said:

Dazed & Confused by Led Zeppelin, it’s the middle bit on the A, the riff is easy enough but it just repeats for what seems ages and if it’s out with the drums it stands on like an extra proverbial on a boxer dog. I need my concentration on that one to be at max.

Man, I was asked to do a lock down collar of The Crunge. I didn't know the song (Im not really a LZ fan... but the timing on that, well, it took me a while to get my head around!)

On first listen I was, yeah, ok... easy enough... then I tried playing along with it! :P :P

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

What i always find is when I'm trying to figure out a tricky section, is i play and fail 20/30 odd times. Put down the instrument and sleep/forget it. 

Over the course of the nights sleep or day of not playing, the pathways if that's the right word get rewired. 

I pick up the bass and i can do it. 

How all that happens i have no idea. 

Maybe i just need a good nights kip hahha

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

What i always find is when I'm trying to figure out a tricky section, is i play and fail 20/30 odd times. Put down the instrument and sleep/forget it. 

Over the course of the nights sleep or day of not playing, the pathways if that's the right word get rewired. 

I pick up the bass and i can do it. 

How all that happens i have no idea. 

Maybe i just need a good nights kip hahha

Fascinating organ, the brain. Conscious processing is single-core (serial) but unconscious processing, which is thought to include rewiring during sleep, is multi-core (parallel). Too much conscious processing is great for filling your head with random loose ends (experiences) but it's only when your mind is elsewhere that the clever stuff happens. YMMV of course. No slight intended to octopuses, who do things way differently but still learn to do crazy stuff.

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Thor said:

So my latest fingering headache has been learning Atomic by Blondie - I’ve been preparing for a NYE gig and it was on the set list, anyone else struggle with it or is it just me?

Listen to the sleeper version from the trainspotting soundtrack, it’s a little clearer and easier to listen to 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

So my latest fingering headache has been learning Atomic by Blondie - I’ve been preparing for a NYE gig and it was on the set list, anyone else struggle with it or is it just me?

I really struggled to crack the octave jumps because of the fast tempo - it took longer to do that than it did to get the bass solo right. Lots of practice was the only answer. 

• Like 2