Why become a member? ×

The Bassplayers' Bassist

Al Krow

The Bassplayers' Bassist   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your top 3 favourite bass players of all time?

• James Jamerson
    • Carol Kaye
    • John Entwistle
    • John Paul Jones
    • Geddy Lee
    • Pino Palladino
    • Les Claypool
    • Bernard Edwards
    • Chris Squire
    • Duck Dunn
    • Stanley Clarke
    • Jaco Pastorius
    • Paul McCartney
    • Larry Graham
    • Jack Bruce
    • Rutger Gunnarsson
    • Flea
    • Mark King
    • Jack Casady
    • Phil Lesh
    • Ashley Hutchings
    • Cliff Burton
    • Rob Trujillo
    • Geezer Butler
    • Anthony Jackson
    • Marcus Miller
    • Rocco Prestia
    • Norman Watt Roy
    • Robbie Shakespeare
    • Bootsy Collins

I mean, should I be feeling quite so smug that my three choices (Jamerson, Entwistle and Geddy Lee) have all made it into the top 10? Or does it merely confirm what a boring / conventional bass player I am who needs to get out more? 😅

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I mean, should I be feeling quite so smug that my three choices (Jamerson, Entwistle and Geddy Lee) have all made it into the top 10? Or does it merely confirm what a boring / conventional bass player I am who needs to get out more? 😅

Yes. :|

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

........Jamerson at the top cause he's the only one on the list who had no contemporarys to copy from...every single other bassist on that list has been influenced by a preceeding electric bassist of one sort or another...even Macca was influenced by Jamerson.

Bernard Edwards cause he intruduced some revolutionary right hand playing techniques... and Jaco cause he alone started the whole ..."wah".. modern jazz playing thing.. the rest are all variations on those three founders.

Edited by zrbass

4 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I think demographic of group plays a large role in the answers, but I am surprised not to see many mentions of some DB masters like Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Charles Mingus ect. 

Yeah, why isn't Ect in it? He's all over the place, after all.

• Haha 2

I could only pick two, Geezer and Cliff. To be honest there are loads of others who I think are better. Justin Cancellor, Matt Freeman, Alex Webster, Troy Sanders, Al Cisneros and Scott Reeder.

Because my taste in music isn't exactly mainstream, most people in this forum won't have ever heard them so even if they were better than Jamerson they would get less votes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I could only pick two, Geezer and Cliff. To be honest there are loads of others who I think are better. Justin Cancellor, Matt Freeman, Alex Webster, Troy Sanders, Al Cisneros and Scott Reeder.

Because my taste in music isn't exactly mainstream, most people in this forum won't have ever heard them so even if they were better than Jamerson they would get less votes.

similar to my dilemma

whilst I appreciate the names on the list (which are nigh on impossible to dispute), my bassist's bassist list include 'Arry, but also Steve DiGiorgio, Frank Bello, Gene, as well as many others.

It all stems from the tunes and music we're exposed to in our formative years - Which in my case seem to be continuing despite my advancing years ;)

• Like 2

On 08/12/2023 at 21:13, SteveXFR said:

Yes! He was excellent. Sadly another great rock musician lost to drugs. 

I'd assumed @Skybone meant Paul Gray from The Damned.

As for the other PG, I can't think of anything particularly notable about his playing, but I don't think I listened past the 3rd (4th?) album

His playing was actually all over the shop on MFKR, he reined it in quite a bit as he went on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'd assumed @Skybone meant Paul Gray from The Damned.

As for the other PG, I can't think of anything particularly notable about his playing, but I don't think I listened past the 3rd (4th?) album

His playing was actually all over the shop on MFKR, he reined it in quite a bit as he went on.

I forgot there were two Paul Grays

I would happily pick half this list. It has made me realise i know of a lot more bass players than i thought , and i was going to list some of the missing ones but they are pretty much covered now. Apart from one.

Are we really going to forget about Nick Beggs?