Why become a member? ×

Barefaced two10s vs 2 more affordable 2x10s?

ToLo

I'm in the process of thinking about a new amp/cab setup. I don't have an amp sorted yet but I'm thinking something~500W, lightweight and portable. In terms of cabs, I'm thinking about two 2x10s or perhaps one of these highly regarded barefaced cabs. The rig would be used in a pub band, predominantly classic rock covers - but I'd like something that could handle being in a metal band should that opportunity present itself down the line as that's something I used to do and miss quite a lot. 

I've never tried one, but the barefaced cabs often talk about how good their dispersion is and how loud their little cabs are when compared to cabs of the same size from other brands (and even compared to bigger cabs from other brands)... but I'm wondering if I can get just as good of an outcome with two more affordable 2x10s? Peavey Headliner 210s are about £210 new, Eden EX210 are about £300 ....but a barefaced two10s is £699. 

Should I just save my money and get the higher quality product, or should I go more affordable, get 2 cabs which might allow more versatility and save £100-200 overall?!

• Like 1

I went from Mega heavy Mesa 2 * 10s to one Barefaced 2*10 and one 1*10.  It's a really flexible combination.  I use the 1*10 for practices...it weighs nothing, but is quite loud on its own.  For most gigs I typically just use the 2*10 either with a Mesa 800+ or with a Handbox R400, depending on how retro I want to sound.  Alex at Barefaced is really helpful, and if you don't like it, half of Bass Chat will buy one of his cabs off you, just like that!

• Like 2

I'm probably the anomoly but I had x2 barefaced 210s which I thought would be everything I needed, but they really didn't work for me at all. The ashdown 410 that replaced it was far superior to my in ears (subjective I know). 

The mark bass travellers were great in a vertical 210 set up. And prob half the price. I currently use a vertical 410 from Laney. Love it. They're prob 600 new now, but they are so easy to move around. They

wheels and top handle make it feel very very light to move around. There's also side handles too if needed. 

Plenty of 210 cabs out there though if you wanted a cheaper set up. Only thing I'd recommend is get 2 of the same. 

• Like 2

I swapped a pretty decent conventional 'square' 4x10 (Markbass 104HR) in our rehearsal space for a pair of One10s, and they're a completely capable replacement. I already had one which had been bought for me as a gift, so it made sense to just order another the same - otherwise I would have bought a Two10.

It's a more controlled low end that I'm getting from the pair of One10s, but loads of low end isn't necessary or even all that helpful for the rock and metal I play, so keeping it under control just means you can hear everything else better; it's certainly no less loud and powerful a sound in context. Everyone who's heard them so far thinks they're an upgrade, and the guy who runs the studios was saying just last week that he reckons they're sounding 'bigger and more open' as they play in.

I was sold on them after the first rehearsal so I let my Fender Rumble 500 combo go and ordered a Two10 to store at home and take out to gigs - same sound on stage as in rehearsal makes sense, and a single one-hand-carry package suits me better than multiple trips.

• Like 3

I've got a couple of Barefaced cabs, the Four10 will outman any 'normal' 8x10 I've played through, so I'd expect the same from the Two10 versus the vast majority of manufacturers 4x10.

As mentioned, you may not notice a huge difference at normal volume, or even some people's 'loud', but if you need proper loud and low you won't be let down by Barefaced.

• Like 4

It all comes down to ya gets what ya pays for. Quality costs money simple as that! :)

I went with the Acme B2 three way 2x10. Yes they were a bit pricy and fairly uncommon but plonking one low B through my first told me I had made the right choice. I bought a second and then two more. I have never regretted those purchases and they are all still working perfectly.

• Like 2

Apologies if this is a bit "off topic",  but how do the Two10's compare to the Barefaced 12inch equivalents?   
Spec wise the 2x12's seem more likely to survive at volume, but it would be great to get "real world" experience.  Has anyone swapped? 

I guess a Barefaced 2x12 would be loud enough for all gigs and is a single carry and less cost than, say, 2xTwo10's??    But how does it compare sound wise?  Maybe the answer is in the photo's above - pairs of Barefaced Two10's ???

1 minute ago, Pirellithecat said:

Apologies if this is a bit "off topic",  but how do the Two10's compare to the Barefaced 12inch equivalents?   
Spec wise the 2x12's seem more likely to survive at volume, but it would be great to get "real world" experience.  Has anyone swapped? 

I guess a Barefaced 2x12 would be loud enough for all gigs and is a single carry and less cost than, say, 2xTwo10's??    But how does it compare sound wise?  Maybe the answer is in the photo's above - pairs of Barefaced Two10's ???

I started off with a big twin t, and older variation of the 2x12. 

it was very loud, honest and more hi fi.

again it's all about what your after.

I prefer the 10s as they have that vintage baked in tone which is more for my sound.

Volume wise, they're all bloody loud.

I did have a four ten which I used soundly for years but an opportunity came up to trade for 2 two tens. Modular goodness, I like taking just 1 for practice, probably would easily get away with 1 at a gig, but if there's room in car . . 

I found that with the 10s I couldn’t get the sharp abrasive top end that I wanted, they were just a little too smooth sounding. But my sound was Lemmy/JJ Burnel/Duff McKagan so unless needing that sort of high end the 10s would be fine. Whereas as above the 12s are much cleaner and more hi-fi sounding.

The rig I’m thinking of saving up for is an orange little bass thing Into a barefaced two10s - both products often get reviewed as being very loud so I’m hoping that I can play in my (relatively loud) pub band with this one cab, light head, portable setup! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I'd never even try to gig with a single 2x10. There again I'm more old school in that I prefer a pair of 2x10s in a vertical 4x10 stack for safety and durability. That configuration is also more readily heard by both player and out in the room.

I wouldn’t have thought I could gig with one 2x10 either…. But people rave about these barefaced two10s being loud and having amazing projection, and being comparable to a 4x10…. Hence the original question in this post.

1 barefaced two10 vs two 2x10s of other brands

Edited by ToLo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

I went from a pair of One10 to a Super Twin 2x12 and now back to a pair of One10, one with a tweeter.

I prefer the more vintage tone of their 10 inch cabs. I’ve never got close to the volume capabilities of either set up. For me anyway, a pair of Two10 would be overkill. If the pair of One10 isn’t loud enough then my hearing is at risk and the PA should be doing the heavy lifting.

So no doubt at some point I’ll buy the Six10T because I’m an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Don't fall for the marketing BS. Barefaced are fine cabs, but there is no magic fairy dust.

Not marketing bs couldn't care less what the makers say, that's my tried and tested opinion, you're right, no magic fairy dust, just better tech than some speakers in a wooden box. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Don't fall for the marketing BS. Barefaced are fine cabs, but there is no magic fairy dust.

Yes, I think too many people think these are magic cabs that are blisteringly loud and far better than anything else out there. I believed the hype. 

I know a lot of users love them but for me they were just a decent cab with decent volume. I really wasn't overly impressed. 

Like anything though, everyone's experience and needs are different.