Why become a member? ×

Level 42 currently on tour... who's gone/going?

Rich

26 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If they came to play in the field in front of our cottage, I would probably not even look out of the window. Not a fan; never have been. :|

“Get orrff  my land” and take yer slapperty slap racket with you! 

😉

Edited by tegs07
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Me.

I'm at Bath Forum next Thursday. 

Can. Not. Wait.

A mate has offered me a ticket so I’ll be there. TBH I’ve never really listened to them - I obviously know who MK is but they rather passed me by.  

Still looking forward to it as I gather their current line up are very tight. 

I bloody love Level 42, however my one and only live experience, many years ago, wasn’t a good one. Probably down to the terrible Blackburn King Georges Hall more than anything, but also the band didn’t seem to be firing on all cylinders either.

I’m embarrassed to say that I left halfway through and went home.

I’d love to give them another go…. but missed out this time 

• Like 1

Saw them in Glasgow last Wednesday. I've seen them 4 or 5 times over the years but this was far and away the best yet. 

King/ Lindup both at the top of their game and the rest of the band absolutely on fire. Top notch sound and lights as well.

All this and the excellent Christians as support.

Great gig.

• Like 2

I've been going to see Level 42 for nearly 40 years, every time they tour (every other year trhese days) Mrs S and I see at least one show.  We are going to see them twice this time around.  I've probably seen them perform more than any other band, and I'd say they are better now than ever apart from maybe the early jazz funk years.  I'd admit MK and Lindup's voices aren't what they were but the band are amazing.  Nathan's BVs help to bolster the falsetto these days.   Pete Ray Biggin is a tour de force on the drums, simply astonishing, and the horns totally add value to the show.  They generally have a great lighting set up, too.

The days when MK stood at the front of the stage showboating slap are long gone but, in any case, it is his fingerstyle playing that I find far more impressive.  I've been going to see live music for over 50 years during which time I've seen the great, the good, the bad and the ugly, and I reckon MK to be the most accomplished all round bassist I have ever seen.  And that is without taking into account he is the main singer and composer.  His complex bass lines weave through the songs in a thoughtful and musical way - it isn't just 'Love Games' thumping on the open E.

My main thought, when I hear the MK detractors, is that they actually haven't actually taken the time to listen to the band but merely trot out the same old 'one trick pony' and 'bucket of nails falling down the stairs' cliche based on an interview they saw back in the noughties (or whatever).  Their last new material, the EP Sirens, had fewer slap bass lines than finger style and even pick on one.  It is entirely possible to recognise and appreciate talent even in the context of music you don't like but I guess that takes effort and an open mind - rare commodities these days.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Hopefully seeing them at Reading Hexagon. My mate Bobby is The Christians bassist so a double reason to see them.

The Christians were good too, once the sound guy had tamed the overpowering kick drum. Shame it took him about 5 songs to get it under control though. I very much liked the fretless playing :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

They're one of those bands I saw back in their heyday. I have good memories of those times and that's they I want them to stay. Like old girlfriends I don't really want to see them as they are now.

That's a shame because they looked like they were really enjoying themselves and were tighter than a very tight thing

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Hopefully seeing them at Reading Hexagon. My mate Bobby is The Christians bassist so a double reason to see them.

Excellent player and his five string (Yamaha?) got best bass sound of the night award from me! Crystal clear and punchy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow - great gig. Super-tight right from the off - the horns were something else. 

MK brilliant - who here got his thumb plaster (yuk!) at the end? Properly impressed with Pete Ray Biggin, the drummer too - some real technical playing but never overplayed, just fit in very well with the bass. 

• Like 4

Yes, superb gig - they looked like they were having a whale of a time on stage. Great to hear some proper oldies in the set, I swear I squealed like an excited child when

Spoiler

Heathrow

started. 😄  I do wonder if perhaps we're seeing the farewell tour here though...

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

On 18/10/2023 at 20:30, Rayman said:

I bloody love Level 42, however my one and only live experience, many years ago, wasn’t a good one. Probably down to the terrible Blackburn King Georges Hall more than anything, but also the band didn’t seem to be firing on all cylinders either.

King Georges is not a great sound at all. I’m a Blackburn boy (as you may remember) and historically the sound has not been good to say the least. The last band I saw there was Adam and the Ants. The sound was awful. A lot of that, let’s. have a load of sub bass that was never intended to be there. Drown out the important bass sound with a monotonous drone because that’s what people want right 😂. Dire. All that on top of a venue with a less than adequate reputation for sound quality. I found the only place in the house to actually hear the band anywhere near properly was stood up on the highest seats in the house on the back row of the top balcony. Blummin steep those seats too! 😂

Edited by itsmedunc

I tried to get a photo of Mark's pedalboard at the end, but was hustled away from the front of the stage by a sweaty wheezing Forum employee whose sole job was to hassle people into leaving, so came away empty handed. So I'm still none the wiser. The only things I could make out were a Boss tuner, an old Eventide unit of some sort and a Moogerfooger, but I don't know which one.

On 18/10/2023 at 20:30, Rayman said:

That's an horrendous venue.

On 18/10/2023 at 19:07, Barking Spiders said:

They're one of those bands I saw back in their heyday. I have good memories of those times and that's they I want them to stay. Like old girlfriends I don't really want to see them as they are now.

Same here, even though I love MK's playing. I was daft on them from The Early Tapes/Level 42 and saw them several times back then. They lost me with World Machine, though I did go to see them touring it. The lustre was gone, and I didn't like the commercial direction they seemed to be taking. That was it, door closed.

That said, pleased to hear they're still being enjoyed by many,

Oh the lustre was back last night, in absolute spades. It was the best I've seen them in years.

For anyone who's interested, the set was:

Spoiler

Almost There

To Be With You Again

Running In The Family

Micro Kid

The Sun Goes Down

Children Say

Heathrow 

Love Meeting Love

Kansas City Milkman

World Machine