Why become a member? ×

Anyone else annoyed by FB groups?

0175westwood29

14 minutes ago, itu said:

I think... some basic knowledge could be gathered about bass, its setup including strings, amp + cab, and some basic accessories (case, pedals, cabling). Most of the newbies could start with those stickies, and lots of threads could be omitted.

Great idea - we can have a "Please confirm you have read every sticky on the site before posting a question of your own" tick box to demand compliance. 

Sounds like a great way of growing a community!

[/sarcasm mode off]

• Like 1

In the old days you'd read one of 2 or 3 books that told you pretty much everything you knew. Then there were a few magazines. 

A lot less conflicting information. They were written by people who had been there and done it. Lots of Internet advice is second hand knowledge, half learned, a lot of it people have spent money on gear and are then emotionally invested in it 'being good' otherwise they have to admit they've spent unwisely. Then there's advertising - just because something appears a lot, it doesn't mean it is good, probably just means they have a good advertising budget, or effective media team.

I think if a group is annoying you, I feel some posters here seem to get a biased view of how much other people post in off topic, and often that's probably because they have common interest in the same subjects as those posters. It's not common for everyone to post in every topic, but if you keep coming across the same posters posting in the same topic as you, it can feel like that a bit. But then ask yourself - if that's my view of them...?

Maybe visiting groups regularly or having 'all' notifications on is a distraction and it's the other things in life that are actually winding you up, and this is just one more thing troubling an already irritated mind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me the thing that makes me chuckle about FB groups/newbies seeking knowledge - especially the larger groups, is the people with relatively little knowledge of the subject in hand piling in and flooding the thread with bad advice (this is FB, not here!).

But life is too short to react or get annoyed by it, so just scroll on

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TimR said:

In the old days you'd read one of 2 or 3 books that told you pretty much everything you knew. Then there were a few magazines. 

A lot less conflicting information. They were written by people who had been there and done it. Lots of Internet advice is second hand knowledge, half learned, a lot of it people have spent money on gear and are then emotionally invested in it 'being good' otherwise they have to admit they've spent unwisely. Then there's advertising - just because something appears a lot, it doesn't mean it is good, probably just means they have a good advertising budget, or effective media team.

I think if a group is annoying you, I feel some posters here seem to get a biased view of how much other people post in off topic, and often that's probably because they have common interest in the same subjects as those posters. It's not common for everyone to post in every topic, but if you keep coming across the same posters posting in the same topic as you, it can feel like that a bit. But then ask yourself - if that's my view of them...?

Maybe visiting groups regularly or having 'all' notifications on is a distraction and it's the other things in life that are actually winding you up, and this is just one more thing troubling an already irritated mind. 

Not to mention that many simple questions are asked because the person doesn't actually know the best way to ask for help.

A 13 year old asking "What is the best pedal for rock" has an entirely different view of what rock is compared to a 60 year old who after playing double bass for 40 years has just got his first bass guitar and he caught a clip of Black Sabbath on youtube.

There are countless threads on here where a simple question has been answered with another question for clarification - and that has allowed the person asking to better explain what they need.

Gaining knowledge is a linear process. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’m always bemused by folk asking questions in local fb groups about local services. They could type the same info into Google and get a much quicker and probably more accurate answer.

But would they get personal experience of the quality of those local services?

In fact - they may have already done that, but wanted those personal experiences as well. There's no way to tell.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

But would they get personal experience of the quality of those local services?

Ah, you mean the reason for other folk to grind their axe about the lack/cost of services. Every time someone asks about the local restaurants here, someone always posts using the word mortgage somewhere in the rant.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TimR said:

I'm trying to find a local PAT for a few lights and an amp. Googling for a local electrician is a bloody nightmare. 

If you asked on your typical fb group for that, I guarantee one of the replies would say, "Good luck with that."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

If you asked on your typical fb group for that, I guarantee one of the replies would say, "Good luck with that."

It's why I want someone local. It's such a small job I don't really want someone who is going to travel miles. Must be someone who can pop in on their way home. Previously the guy has done it inside an hour and charged less than £50. 

On 17/10/2023 at 02:28, 0175westwood29 said:

I’m obviously a member of many FB groups 

many are fine however there are many who you can’t escape the standard weekly questions of 

“best overdrive for rock?”

”best Aby switch”

and many more questions.

is it just me or do some simply use those pages as google? 

might be an unpopular opinion tho? Same as when people ask about ohms and cabinets? I know you need to learn somewhere and that’s fine you can tell when someone is new to things. But again a simple search can give you the answer 

How about this one:

" What amp should I buy?" 

Blue

Is anyone else on the Nextdoor app? It's a bit like local Facebook groups, but for really nosy people. Most of the posts on it seem to be Does anyone know why the police helicopter is out tonight? as well as Does anyone know this guy (Ring doorbell footage attached)? He was trying my backdoor last night. or Please stop letting your dogs shite on my driveway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Is anyone else on the Nextdoor app? It's a bit like local Facebook groups, but for really nosy people. Most of the posts on it seem to be Does anyone know why the police helicopter is out tonight? as well as Does anyone know this guy (Ring doorbell footage attached)? He was trying my backdoor last night. or Please stop letting your dogs shite on my driveway.

It's a depressing nightmare.

Once a year in our village there's a beer festival over 2 days. It raises some money for local charities, there's some village rugby, bouncy castles for the kids etc. It's a nice day out and in the evenings there's some local bands and a bit of a disco.

Every year the same very few people try to complain about the noise, call the police (who tell them to not be silly), and moan about it until bonfire night when they set off fireworks and get upset if people complain about them.

My suggestion of booking a proper Motorhead tribute so they could have something to complain about didn't go down very well!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Followed by "hope your ok hun"? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I was, as I'm in Tamworth and we have had political campaigning up till yesterday I gave up on it when it appeared that most of the other Tamworth Nextdoor participants were a bunch of inhumane fascists.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

I was, as I'm in Tamworth and we have had political campaigning up till yesterday I gave up on it when it appeared that most of the other Tamworth Nextdoor participants were a bunch of inhumane fascists.

I don't think that's limited to Tamworth though, although I admit I haven't spent an awful lot of time in Tamworth - an old colleague used to live in Wilnecote which was about as close as I got to Tamworth proper.

On 19/10/2023 at 15:36, Crusoe said:

Nextdoor (in my town) seems to be for closet racists and weirdos. One to avoid if you feel badly about FB groups -> the nextdoor mob will take you to another level!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

Facebook is for bored housewives or people looking for an argument. Very little else.

I wonder what will replace it?

May I recommend taking a look at the mumsnet forums. That's full of bored house wives looking for an argument with other bored house wives while complaining that their husband doesn't satisfy them and the favourite buzz toy is dead. 

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

May I recommend taking a look at the mumsnet forums. That's full of bored house wives looking for an argument with other bored house wives while complaining that their husband doesn't satisfy them and the favourite buzz toy is dead. 

Harsh, Steve. What about the valuable hygiene tips? That's quality comedy, right there.

2 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Harsh, Steve. What about the valuable hygiene tips? That's quality comedy, right there.

I actually find useful advice on mumsnet: job stuff, finances, politics chat, house moving etc. but there is a bit of a hardcore who respond to any post where someone is venting because their husband was a bit of a pillock this afternoon with a reflexive ‘LTB!’. 

• Like 1