Why become a member? ×

Fender Road Worn series - have I been had???

Duroc17

Bought this today was a pick up from a car park and I was mostly concerned with neck seller was on break at a wedding gig so time was tight- but the body road worn bits feel badly done and it sure feels like a badly damaged poly finish. See pics. Reached out to guy said he’d refund and he bought it second hand but serial number was filed off… neck and tuners feel right - output is a bit low 

see what you think hopefully get it resolved 

IMG_8663.thumb.jpeg.8e85c5a2d61d2a63ddc8b94bd3404639.jpegIMG_8665.thumb.jpeg.ddf8cd8d10eec01ff1445722e80dabaa.jpegIMG_8664.thumb.jpeg.a1a16bace930182359cc24ad06d18b55.jpegIMG_8666.thumb.jpeg.9a6eba1b68d12382b99ca2d9b42c0303.jpegIMG_8669.thumb.jpeg.90feb3b5a471837dec0510417f7f448a.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

Edited by Duroc17
  • Sad 3

That doesn't look like an official roadworn to me, sorry. The ones I've seen certainly don't have "craters" like that where the paint wear is. I'd say that's been (and I'm being polite), f*cked around with by someone at home. Possibly Stevie Wonder?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

If you remove the scratch plate it might have road worn stamped into the body. The Nate Mendel certainly has this and as it`s part of the road worn series, I would imagine this should be the same.

But apart from that, the finish doesn`t look right. It even looks like a sander job and no serial number? I wonder why :D

Looks like a Mexican Classic 60`s model to me.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know there’s a paint difference between “highway one” and “highway 1”. There were two separate series. I don’t recall the details but it’s been discussed on BC before 

IIRC one series had RW stamped on front under the plate 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1

Definitely not one of the official Fender Roadworn series - the finish wear on the genuine RW's is very smooth. The genuine models are absolutely superbly made, and sound great.

Sorry to hear you were sold something that isn't what it was supposed to be. Hope the guy refunds you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there ever a valid reason to remove a serial number from a bass? I doubt it— The only reasons I can think of to do so are both dishonest: 1— to mask that the bass has been stolen, or 2 — To deceive a buyer into believing it is a different model from what it actually is. This is a prime example of the latter. You could attach the swing tag to a piece of cheese, but it won't turn it into a roadworn Fender bass.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers all. I should’ve checked it properly before parting with £900. Anyways 3 hour trip later. I got my money back and very apologetic dude. He might’ve been playing me but felt genuine- I think he got ripped off first

thanks everyone- kebab and wine waiting. Now on look out for genuine RW or might go 60th anniversary but don’t like pau ferro

if anyone has a bass like this - talk to me I’ve got some cash!!

love BCers are the best 

IMG_8660.thumb.jpeg.b3c93d8d36c4d88ddd59f1005d63184f.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Next time, just refer the ad to the hive mind for consideration and we’ll see you right 

Cheers Mr. I was on a road trip sold my Gibson to a very fine fellow - who had a long chat with about basses and music at Sandbach Services then over to Crewe to interrupt a wedding band to buy this faux RW - just glad I went and got cash back. Now looking at all the BCer ads like a kid in a sweet shop

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

Cheers all. I should’ve checked it properly before parting with £900. Anyways 3 hour trip later. I got my money back and very apologetic dude. He might’ve been playing me but felt genuine- I think he got ripped off first

thanks everyone- kebab and wine waiting. Now on look out for genuine RW or might go 60th anniversary but don’t like pau ferro

if anyone has a bass like this - talk to me I’ve got some cash!!

love BCers are the best 

IMG_8660.thumb.jpeg.b3c93d8d36c4d88ddd59f1005d63184f.jpeg

Have you considered the new Vintera II Jazz?

• Like 1

Just now, Duroc17 said:

Had the Vintera 1 Mustang but for some reason I didn’t get in with it. I don’t fancy the gloss neck tbh 

One of several reasons I went with the new Squier Contemporary Active and 40th-Anniversary Vintage Jazz basses...incredibly smooth satin necks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

One of several reasons I went with the new Squier Contemporary Active and 40th-Anniversary Vintage Jazz basses...incredibly smooth satin necks.

In 2002 I bought the Fender 75 jazz RI ash body and for 15 years I played that as my main bass - but it was close to 11lb and I fell off my push bike and injured my shoulder. Since then having been spoilt by brother-in-law lending me his 79 P Bass. I have been searching for a low weight great PB. Then I just bought the new Sire V5 R donkey it looked like the 75 jazz I had and it’s made me realise I don’t want a PB - I want a nice jazz bass as I’m sick of the GAS 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

Cheers Mr. I was on a road trip sold my Gibson to a very fine fellow - who had a long chat with about basses and music at Sandbach Services then over to Crewe to interrupt a wedding band to buy this faux RW - just glad I went and got cash back. Now looking at all the BCer ads like a kid in a sweet shop

Well, you’ve arrived … GAS biting you like a mosquito in Bangkok 

• Like 1