Why become a member? ×

Poll: Would you contribute towards a PA sub group on BC?

Kiwi

PA systems sub group - are you interested?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in contributing to a sub forum about setting up and using PAs?

• I would be interested in actively contributing to a sub forum about setting up and using PAs.
    • I would be interested in reading a sub forum about setting up and using PAs.

This poll came from a request by Happy Jack, based on his observations that at least half the bands he knows have a bassist responsible for the PA. Please register your interest below so we can clarify what interest there might be on BC for this sub group.  The poll will close a week from now, on September 4th.

14 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Also, why is the choice "either/or"? I would be interested in both contributing to AND reading a PA subforum.

Me too. You're never too old to learn something new. I ran a PA for multiple Bands, and got some handy hints from people I came across, which I would probably never thought of myself.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Also, why is the choice "either/or"? I would be interested in both contributing to AND reading a PA subforum.

Ditto, although presumably if one writes to it, it could be expected that one would also read it (although various facets of the internet have been referred to as a write-only medium).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Have at it. What's the worst that can happen?

I'd make it a sub forum of Amps and Cabs as it will steer the same inhabitants to contribute.

I wouldn't, PA is its own subject.

• Like 2

Id be happy to have a sub forum for PA, but i don't think we really  need it. There's a few threads already working, and there is at least cross over between IEM and PA threads. PA comes up in various threads, i don’t think this would stop. It could get messy.

55 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Id be happy to have a sub forum for PA, but i don't think we really  need it. There's a few threads already working, and there is at least cross over between IEM and PA threads. PA comes up in various threads, i don’t think this would stop. It could get messy.

I see your point, Dave, but the same happens with amps, cabs and quite a lot of accessories. When the main subject of a thread is clear, and it's not posted in the correct place on the forum, we move it. If it is posted in the correct place, and any references to other bits of equipment (usually inevitable) don't radically change the main subject, the thread can stay in its subforum. This would mostly be to make following or contributing to such a popular subject easier than it currently is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I see your point, Dave, but the same happens with amps, cabs and quite a lot of accessories. When the main subject of a thread is clear, and it's not posted in the correct place on the forum, we move it. If it is posted in the correct place, and any references to other bits of equipment (usually inevitable) don't radically change the main subject, the thread can stay in its subforum. This would mostly be to make following or contributing to such a popular subject easier than it currently is.

And your points also taken. 

To me, it sounds like some of the Admin team are bored and looking for something to do lol. 

Id certainly find a PA/Live sound reinforcement sub forum way more interesting than a URB one 😎

• Haha 1

Technically you couldn't actively contribute to a forum without reading it - although I do wonder sometimes. 

But you can read without contributing. 

Hence the 'or' choices. 

Would be useful to have all the PA questions in one place. If you search PA you get hundreds of replies to one thread at a time as they often run to several pages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Would the people not interested in a sub group scroll past this thread and therefore not click on the poll which will give a misleadingly positive result?

It's not a yes or no poll. It's to gauge how many are interested. Presumably if enough are interested it happens. 

• Like 1

Everyone needs to know at least something about running the PA... we have a new digital one and I feel bad leaving it to the drummer and guitarist, I'm ok with the old sliders but not perfect, I'd like to learn more. I'm the lights guy which is a far easier task! 

On 30/08/2023 at 18:02, Happy Jack said:

78 votes so far ... will we hit the ton, I wonder?

I wonder how many votes you would get if you asked the same question about starting a thread called "Accessories and Misc"? 😊