Why become a member? ×

Disappearing Threads

Stub Mandrel

Question

For some time I have noticed that certain threads disappear from my 'content you have posted in' list, rarely making a fleeting return after weeks or months, then disappearing again.

Typically, it's when I see them in the 'recent activity' list that I realise there are pages of content that hasn't come up on my feed.

Now it's happened to the Den of Iniquity, a disaster of immeasurable proportions!

Is it possible to fix what seems to be a significant glitch, it's been happening going back at least a year.

On 18/08/2023 at 13:36, BigRedX said:

Can we make the Den Of Iniquity disappear permanently for everyone?

And there was me thinking that a little bundle of joy like you would fit right in on there 🤷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/08/2023 at 13:36, BigRedX said:

Can we make the Den Of Iniquity disappear permanently for everyone?

That seems a little harsh. After all, it has more postings than any other thread, and a reasonable number of followers, and there's no longer Finnbass for us to take refuge in.

• Like 3

I suppose it was a little bit over the top, bit I simply don't "get" the DOI thread.

Every so often I dip in to seem what is happening, but to me as an outsider it just comes across as a clique with it's own set of in-jokes, and seemingly no connection between the various posts. I wouldn't even begin to know how to make a contribution.

I suppose what I really want is the ability to hide the thread from me permanently. I would have said the ability to hide all of "Off Topic" is what is needed but very occasionally there are threads in there that I am able and want to, make a contribution to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I suppose it was a little bit over the top, bit I simply don't "get" the DOI thread.

Every so often I dip in to seem what is happening, but to me as an outsider it just comes across as a clique with it's own set of in-jokes, and seemingly no connection between the various posts. I wouldn't even begin to know how to make a contribution.

I suppose what I really want is the ability to hide the thread from me permanently. I would have said the ability to hide all of "Off Topic" is what is needed but very occasionally there are threads in there that I am able and want to, make a contribution to.

Thanks for answering. May I suggest just ignoring it? It's very easy to scroll by. The 'Wordle' thread does nowt for me, but if it makes others happy I've no issue with it being there.

• Like 3

And @Frank Blank Regarding DOI (and other off-topic threads) counting towards reputation, it hadn't really occurred to me until very recently that this was the case, and personally it doesn't really matter one way or another. I only really use the reactions to see if people are actually interested in what I post and TBH I would find it more useful to be able to get a notification when one of my posts gets quoted (as I do on another forum) than just a reaction.

@ped However it would be good if there was some consistency to post counts reputation points etc. I don't have a problem with them all being site-wide, but if some are restricted from certain threads or sub-fora shouldn't everything be like that? OoI do the various "hidden" threads and fora that are only visible to contributing members count towards post numbers and reputation?

BTW I have posted this here and not in the DOI simply so I don't have a contributing star next to the thread which will make me even more likely to look at it again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Thanks for answering. May I suggest just ignoring it? It's very easy to scroll by. The 'Wordle' thread does nowt for me, but if it makes others happy I've no issue with it being there.

Yes, but it's always visible and it's nearly always at the top of the page and has to scrolled past to get the threads that I am interested in.

Because I am mildly dyslexic there a few members on here whose posts make my brain hurt trying to read them, and because of this I can hide their contributions. Why shouldn't a whole thread be any different. Once I've hidden it, it will be gone for me forever, and I won't be complaining about it ever again.

And equally I ask why is it so important that I don't have the ability to be able to hide it? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

And equally I ask why is it so important that I don't have the ability to be able to hide it? 

I feel differently in that I have no problem with scrolling past things I don't fancy engaging with. Of the 25 threads currently on the first page of Off Topic, I may delve into about six of them, and occasionally have a look at one with an interesting/bizarre title e.g. "Are those my feet?". The mods on here could tell us if it would be easy to rig up a system where you could have the option to hide a thread but it sounds like it could be a lot of unnecessary hassle for them. That's just my guess, I don't know, I'm not a computer systems person. Again, I can only reiterate it's probably best to ignore the threads you have no interest in. It seems the simpler option.

I sympathise regarding some posts that make your brain hurt. In the DoI we have to cope with the unusual stylings of @Ricky 4000 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In all seriousness (for a change)  I did mention a couple of times in the past that the forum could have an "ignore topic" button, there have been a bunch of politics and similar type threads I'd have gladly "ignored". 

I have seen an ignore topic button on other forums, so it's obviously an option on the whole forum template thing. When I suggested it in the past a mod or two replied with some rationale as to why they couldn't or wouldn't do it, can't remember why it was now.

Obviously the simple solution is to scroll past stuff you don't fancy and ignore it. 

• Like 1

@BigRedX thanks for taking the time to answer.

38 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Nor do I half the time TBH.

Which was exactly how I felt about it initially. It definitely does have its own set of in-jokes but its by no means a clique, I was a latecomer to it and yet was welcomed. It is essentially blather but its extraordinarily civil and self-regulating.  

I completely agree with this. I have no interest in 95% of off topic and yet I understand other people have interests that don't interest me which is why I am happy to tolerate that 95%, but if there were such a function I too would hide the vast majority of it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I have seen an ignore topic button on other forums, so it's obviously an option on the whole forum template thing. When I suggested it in the past a mod or two replied with some rationale as to why they couldn't or wouldn't do it, can't remember why it was now.

The rational is that programming stuff on the forum is hard and takes time, or getting plugins that do things like that cost money, I have recently been to lazy to do the hard, and I believe that at the moment there is less money around, at least until new advertising comes on stream or more people become supporting members.

So it isn't likely to happen in the immediate future, even if it is something I would like.

• Thanks 2

As my esteemed colleague Mr Blank has just so eloquently answered the questions @BigRedX has, could I just point out...

The "in jokes" are only in jokes because those of us whom contributed in the beginning, had broadly the same sense of humour.

They are not meant to exclude anyone and if , as a newcomer, somebody wants them explaining we are more than happy to do so..

My alter ego of Dr Mondeaux for example (the one where I am probably responsible for hurting your brain... because of my ridiculous phonetic spelling ,meant to imitate  Parker of Thunderbirds fame, using a Nottingham accent...sorry about that), came about because I was meeting @Teebs in real life to go to a gig  in his area, and I jokingly said "don't worry I'm not going to be harvesting your organs."

I happily ignore just about everything else on Basschat because I got the information I was after shortly after joining, and I have no interest in the minute details of, ownership, playing, or the recording of bass, or any other instrument.

The DOI kept me sane during lockdown...I live alone ,have health issues and was getting more and more depressed...so I am grateful that @ped allows it to flourish.

I hope we don't bother the mainstream members too much!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First... the DoI has returned to my feed.

Second, there are some threads you post in and regret ever having done so. The word association thread being my own bête noir.

Rather like a cyclist who fixates on an obstacle and becomes powerless to avoid it and the resultant catastrophe, I'm afraid the advice to 'simply ignore the thread' ignores certain universal human failings.

After all, curiosity killed the cat.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

First... the DoI has returned to my feed.

Second, there are some threads you post in and regret ever having done so. The word association thread being my own bête noir.

Rather like a cyclist who fixates on an obstacle and becomes powerless to avoid it and the resultant catastrophe, I'm afraid the advice to 'simply ignore the thread' ignores certain universal human failings.

After all, curiosity killed the cat.

It's easy to "Unfollow" a thread though ...as you just found out!

😉