Why become a member? ×

Unexpectedly good bassline in an otherwise ... questionable (s**t) song

kwmlondon

Verdine White with Earth, Wind and Fire on 'September'.

I never took to EW&F bc I always felt they were way too 'shiny' - big in every direction and way over arranged and produced... a product of the time.

But this song is well worth revisiting: the chord sequences are a bit out of the ordinary, and the way Verdine White weaves his way through and around them is tasty.

3 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I quite like the driving bassline in this, and the song is OK I guess (not sure I'd go as saying it's poopeh given the rest of his catalogue of work - this is definitely amongst the better end of the spectrum).

He's definitely a repeat offender in these stakes. The bass on the otherwise gash Lady In Red is utterly gorgeous. John Giblin, I think? He and Pino are both on that album but I can't find anything to say who played on what tune. To my ears it definitely sounds like JG.

9 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I quite like the driving bassline in this, and the song is OK I guess (not sure I'd go as saying it's poopeh given the rest of his catalogue of work - this is definitely amongst the better end of the spectrum).

Bloody hell I remember studying this at school in a music lesson. Christ knows why this song was chosen, I don’t remember anything else from the lesson. 😆

• Haha 1

The theme from the 70's black comedy MASH has a nice bass part, although its buried somewhat in this version. I only found out recently it was Carol Kaye. Although the tune is a bit of a dirge hence its inclusion.

Sorry, I've forgotten how to embed YT links as my memory went along with my waistline. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIGYLBVjYZA

Edited by Hobbayne