Why become a member? ×

NBD - Acrylic bass from AliExpress

tauzero

About three weeks after I ordered it, the acrylic light-up 5-string bass is here.

Unusually (IME), it came in a foamy bag in a polystyrene box and nowt else - no cardboard box. So, to avoid polystyrene particles everywhere, the box got opened outside.

unboxing.thumb.jpg.226f10eb91733b5e5d7510673bb8dd2e.jpg

It was almost in tune, so no need to send it back. I fine-tuned it and had a little plink. It needs setting up - the neck is slightly back-bowed and the action a little high but it's quite playable. Checked with a micrometer and the neck is about 22.5mm at the first fret, a bit thicker than I like - probably about 5-string Precision thickness, not a complete baseball bat. And now the bit you all are wondering about:

litup.thumb.jpg.c86de4f4557824ead897f80becbc25fe.jpg

It did interest Pixie the microcat. One of the LEDs at the 24th fret is out but I don't really want the stress of sending it back for that.

There's a single PP3 battery to power the lights and the bass itself is passive, VVT (the T doesn't seem terribly effective). Sound is pretty good, the neck pickup has a nice mellow tone to it.

I need to find out if I can get Schaller straplocks onto it. So that's another task. I suspect I'll need to use the original screw2s to maintain the thread in the acrylic but fortunately I do have a pair of mark 1 Schallers sitting on my desk.

It's a bit on the heavy side but I generally play seated anyway so that's not a bother. Not something to play a whole set with but I fancy doing a few songs with it.

• Like 17

Like I said, the sound is pretty good, the neck pickup especially is very full and mellow. The neck is wood with an acrylic headstock grafted on to it. Truss rod access is conventional at the headstock, with a 3-screw cover. I'll be changing the strings for my normal Elites 40-125 stainless sometime soon. Fretwork seems OK, I'll have a better idea when I've got the truss rod and action set up.

• Like 1

Ooh looking forward to mine now.

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

Unusually (IME), it came in a foamy bag in a polystyrene box and nowt else - no cardboard box. So, to avoid polystyrene particles everywhere, the box got opened outside.

When I got my wrongo from china, that is how it came, polystyrene wrapped in plastic. I think it makes the packing cheaper

Same packahging on my Alibacker...

Polystyrene, Indoors, with a Cat, are you Mad?

Could of made an Unboxing Vid that went vital!

Start the 'Partial Refund' Request with the LED... start at £50 and see what they say, cos they sure won't want it back at the shipping cost.

16 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Polystyrene, Indoors, with a Cat, are you Mad?

Stage 1 - take bass outside and open box

Stage 2 - remove bass from box and take bass inside

Stage 3 - put polystyrene box in bin

Stage 4 - allow cat near bass

• Sad 1

Truss rod slackened, relief now set. Fret ends are well finished, nothing sharp there. Bridge saddles reduced to minimum but action still a bit high. Two options - shim the neck or grind the underside of the bridge saddles down a bit. I shall give this some thought.

44 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Truss rod slackened, relief now set. Fret ends are well finished, nothing sharp there. Bridge saddles reduced to minimum but action still a bit high. Two options - shim the neck or grind the underside of the bridge saddles down a bit. I shall give this some thought.

Hi T,  do you have a weight for this as yet?  I'm thinking of a 4 string but if it's >10lbs it would be a no no even for a single spot..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There aren't going to be any < 10lb acrylic basses.

I'm pretty certain my Wesley purple acrylic bass was just under 10lb. It did have a very small body and wooden rather than acrylic headstock.

It was definitely more comfortable on the strap than the Squier VMJ that was supposed to replace it.

• Like 1

I suppose if you either made it hollow (not sure how you would do that) or made it thinner it would be less weight. Not sure the headstock is adding too much weight.

Also shape - if you went for a steingburger shape you could probably get it down quite a bit..

Oh.. look at that - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859958210.html

Acrylic-headless-electric-bass-guitar-Acrylic-bass-free-shipping-acrylic-headless-electric-guitar.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Sounds quite transparent...

Most of the sound is influenced by the electronics and the wood in the neck. I doubt you could tell from a blind listening test but then, what is the point of a transparent bass if you cannot see it?

On 11/08/2023 at 10:24, Woodinblack said:

I suppose if you either made it hollow (not sure how you would do that) or made it thinner it would be less weight. Not sure the headstock is adding too much weight.

Also shape - if you went for a steingburger shape you could probably get it down quite a bit..

Oh.. look at that - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859958210.html

Acrylic-headless-electric-bass-guitar-Acrylic-bass-free-shipping-acrylic-headless-electric-guitar.jpg

Looks from the pictures as though they also make Cort. Tempting!