Why become a member? ×

The Future of SBL - Wrong Answers Only

TeresaFR

12 hours ago, tauzero said:

Scott's Body Lotion - a new product to give you that fresh-off-stage drenched with sweat aroma that all the girls/boys* love. Applicator glove optional.

*Delete according to preference

Sliding off the back of this (didja see what I did there?!?) Scott's Butter Lotion, for those necks that just don't play slippery enough.

Mark

24 minutes ago, AndyFereday said:

I've obviously missed something. Is Scott not very popular? I'm still a bit of a newbie here.... I know who he is but I don't watch any of his Youtube stuff...

This is the UK, where you big up the underdog and then trash them when they have any degree of success.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

This is the UK, where you big up the underdog and then trash them when they have any degree of success.

The intent isn't to trash, but in one of the most recent podcasts he mentioned something about announcing the future of the podcast and I thought it'd be fun to riff on the idea and had some fun with it. My dislike of his over fondness for jazz and for citing the same handful of bassists like no one else ever mattered, is entirely a different subject. Evidently, SBL is very popular, and presumably plenty of bassists get a lot out of it. Heck, I watch some of the podcasts, I just don't subscribe to SBL because it's never really been sold to me in a way that appeals - but not everything has to.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Sliding off the back of this (didja see what I did there?!?) Scott's Butter Lotion, for those necks that just don't play slippery enough.

Mark

What even is the point in picking up a bass if you don't have to struggle to keep your fretting hand on the neck? It's all about the slip and skid of the fingers.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndyFereday said:

I've obviously missed something. Is Scott not very popular? I'm still a bit of a newbie here

He's fine and I think he offers a very fine service, his style make grate with some, but he's running a business to put food on the table and provide shelter for his family. I don't mind him at all (when I remember that it's a business) and I find his alter ego, Ian Allison, entertaining too, especially when they get together on podcasts, etc. This thread just started out as a bit of fun, if some folk have come to grind their axe, well that's the internet for you.

• Like 1

Scott Devine is clearly a workaholic and has a very clear business model. He’s clearly very driven and runs a tight ship that is very successful…. best of luck to him. 

I….. just find the barrage of emails, videos, incentives and constant presence overbearing and irritating. But that’s more about me than SBL. He (as the shop front) seems to be a nice fella and a good bass player, as does his is husband Ian Allison.

Best of luck to the growing empire, it’s just not for me.

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rayman said:

seems to be a nice fella and a good bass player, as does is husband Ian Allison

Yeah he does seem a nice guy although I don’t watch many of his videos and he’s also a member here, I’ve seen some of Ian’s videos and he’s a fantastic player 

I admire the guy, he’s made a success of what he’s done. I have a good mate who tried a similar thing and it worked out pretty badly for him, so I sort of know how hard it is. Like others here maybe, I’m never comfortable criticising people via the internet. 
I do subscribe to his channel, but I’ve managed to mute or unsubscribe from the marketing stuff, so now I just look at what interests me. I have found lots of his stuff useful and informative.

The future of SBL, wrong answers only - perhaps he will run for political office on the basis that we would all be happier with more groove in our lives.

Rob

On 26/07/2023 at 19:35, LukeFRC said:

"The future of SBL will be on a pay per view website and for your enjoyment I will be wearing nothing other than one glove"

Let's hope he's playing his upright....

Or maybe not!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I admire the guy, he’s made a success of what he’s done. I have a good mate who tried a similar thing and it worked out pretty badly for him, so I sort of know how hard it is. Like others here maybe, I’m never comfortable criticising people via the internet. 
I do subscribe to his channel, but I’ve managed to mute or unsubscribe from the marketing stuff, so now I just look at what interests me. I have found lots of his stuff useful and informative.

The future of SBL, wrong answers only - perhaps he will run for political office on the basis that we would all be happier with more groove in our lives.

Rob

I’m in the same constituency as him - ild vote for him if he ran against our incumbent MP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I’m in the same constituency as him - ild vote for him if he ran against our incumbent MP. 

That's one vote! Scott, if you're following, it's a start!

I actually stood in our local government elections on 4th May. I was a "paper candidate" for the Green Party, who stood a candidate in every available seat, 63 in total for Lancaster. I polled twice as many votes as the Lib Dem candidate, so was fairly happy with that. We now have the second biggest green council in the UK with 21 councilors. Perhaps I should have promised more funk and groove, that might have swung it for me.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

That's one vote! Scott, if you're following, it's a start!

I actually stood in our local government elections on 4th May. I was a "paper candidate" for the Green Party, who stood a candidate in every available seat, 63 in total for Lancaster. I polled twice as many votes as the Lib Dem candidate, so was fairly happy with that. We now have the second biggest green council in the UK with 21 councilors. Perhaps I should have promised more funk and groove, that might have swung it for me.

For the general elections living in a Con/Lab marginal I don't know how I feel about "paper candidates" - if it was the situation where the inbuilt majority vote didn't really matter I would possibly vote Green, but as it's a marginal, I won't... the paper candidates don't do awful, but split the progressive vote...  Mind you I think it makes sense why parties do it, but some kind of transferable vote system would be far far better I think, or list system like they use for the Scottish parliament. 

Anyway- ~VOTE BOBBLE HATS! VOTE SCOTT! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

For the general elections living in a Con/Lab marginal I don't know how I feel about "paper candidates" - if it was the situation where the inbuilt majority vote didn't really matter I would possibly vote Green, but as it's a marginal, I won't... the paper candidates don't do awful, but split the progressive vote...  Mind you I think it makes sense why parties do it, but some kind of transferable vote system would be far far better I think, or list system like they use for the Scottish parliament. 

Totally see your point, and probably agree. It's why we need PR, or at least an alliance of the progressive candidates. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

To make one comment on the divergent topic - paper candidates can help give an inroad into a ward (council level) or constituency (national level) and give a party an idea whether it's worth throwing money at in future elections of that kind - obviously, that's a tactic best used by parties with more limited funds, who need to be selective about outgoings. 

Scott Makes Bank Lessons - Scott and Ian livestream them duetting on their favourite basslines in a vault full of money. The first 30 minutes is spent with them talking about how they could light expensive cigars with £50 notes and it wouldn't even scratch the amount of money in the vault. Eventually, they pick up a 7 string F Bass... *covered in gold and diamonds!*

On 29/07/2023 at 12:28, Rayman said:

I….. just find the barrage of emails, videos, incentives and constant presence overbearing and irritating. But that’s more about me than SBL.

I am with you on the constant barrage of communications. I just found the whole thing far too intense.

There’s no doubt that he has talent and anybody that commits to passing on that talent to others in the form of tuition should get our support. It’s just that his methodology grates on me personally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

SBL floats on the FTSE. Profits overtake those of the Oil companies. Protestors glue themselves to music shops across the country. Law passed to ban bass. Basschat crashes. Thread ends.

We all go to Leeds and hunt Scott Devine down, for causing the very situation where our beloved bass is now illegal. Scott starts wearing a wig to hide his baldness and never wears a hat again, and grows a beard. 

• Haha 1