Why become a member? ×

What Would You Change ?

Bluewine

I'd change several body parts, were it possible (and affordable...). Age..? No, I'm OK with that; I call it 'experience'. Location..? Certainly not; this part of rural France is perfect for me, and isolated enough to be able to play/record/rehearse with no fear of neighbours complaining. Band members..? No, we're fine, but I'd like to meet up with some other musicians with musical tastes closer to my 'style', willing to jam, improvise, 'push the envelope'. Management..? Never had any; never wanted any. I's not the side of things that float my boat, so I'll pass.
No, a set of working lungs and a couple of other internal organs would be good, and maybe a new set of eyes (these ones are dimming a bit too quickly for my liking...). Other than that : rock on..! :rWNVV2D:

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'd change several body parts, were it possible (and affordable...). Age..? No, I'm OK with that; I call it 'experience'. Location..? Certainly not; this part of rural France is perfect for me, and isolated enough to be able to play/record/rehearse with no fear of neighbours complaining. Band members..? No, we're fine, but I'd like to meet up with some other musicians with musical tastes closer to my 'style', willing to jam, improvise, 'push the envelope'. Management..? Never had any; never wanted any. I's not the side of things that float my boat, so I'll pass.
No, a set of working lungs and a couple of other internal organs would be good, and maybe a new set of eyes (these ones are dimming a bit too quickly for my liking...). Other than that : rock on..! :rWNVV2D:

I get the whole meeting up with musicians with musical tastes closer to mine.

Thing is, I have to be gigging,  I'm one of the few that needs the money. A band with my musical tastes probably wouldn't get many gigs.

Friends have told me:

" Daryl ,your already in the best band for you"

Blue

FB_IMG_1688482769572.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I change the stupidly heavy cabs that irreparably damaged my back.

Me too, I would go the di route,  no amp with the Kemper floor model. But I'm  not sure how it would work for bass. Our guitarist uses a Kemper with no amp. He shows up at gigs with a back pack a guitar and a stand 

Blue

I would like t have less injuries. I did both shoulders playing cricket (diving after the ball) and my back went ping a few years ago and I have to be much more careful.

I'm 55 soon and have no problem with my age, I only really play gigs that I want to play. I have recently been depping for @spongebob s band, Heroes. I have enjoyed every gig with them and I would play nearly all the venues again, they were nice places with great people.

When I was younger I failed an audition to join Bernie Torme's group. I let that get to me and never bothered chasing the dream, I think I should have continued chasing it, but I don't really regret anything. Life moves on, you've just got to go with it and try and enjoy yourself

• Like 2

I would change having dropped out of Menfolk, a hardcore and noise rock influenced math rock band that I was playing bass in around start 00's, missing out on being part of their first full length release (I did help compose a couple of songs on it though), and also missing out on playing at the Roskilde Festival, Scandinavia's biggest rock festival, with them.

And if it would have been possible I would have liked changing the reason for that, same reason why I am too unstable to dedicate myself to being part of a band today, suffering from bad mental health.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I wish I'd started playing bass earlier than I did. For the first few band playing years I was the guitarist in an originals outfit but I was mediocre at best (the drummer and I were good at writing but my guitar skills limited the final results on stage). Our band struggled with keeping bass players, so all the clues were there. With the clarity of hindsight, I should have played bass from the outset. I doubt we would have made a bigger impact on the music scene than we did (think small ripple in a puddle), but the experience would have been a more enjoyable one and the band would have lasted longer.

When I finally did start playing bass, I found it came naturally to me in a way that playing guitar didn't. The rhythm side of things in particular I found easy to get and as I was best mates with the drummer from schooldays, we made quite a pair driving the music. But that line up didn't last (ironically by then we had problems with the guitarist) and I ended up parting company with my mate and playing in a covers band/duo for 20 years.

• Like 1

I’d agree with the post above - should have maybe been a bassist sooner than I did.

Started off as a kid with piano lessons as well as church choir, both of which taught me

stuff I still rely on to this day. Both went out of the window when I got an electric guitar,

which led to me being in my first few bands. Finally realised that bass was my thing when

I was in my late 20’s, and couldn’t believe how stupid I’d been not going there sooner.

Still, here I am over 35 years later and still loving it. 😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

From an Overall band experience, right now what would you change. 

Your age

Your location

Band personal

Management strategy 

Here's your chance to express your

" change" wish list

Blue

FB_IMG_1689395334462.jpg

Nice photo....i wouldn't change anything at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

A band with my musical tastes probably wouldn't get many gigs.

Yep, I hear that. Fortunately, gigging is something I enjoy, but I don't need to do it, either financially or personally.  I'm quite happy just to jam and write.  I did the sideman thing a while back - I enjoyed it, but there was no option to engage in jamming and writing, plus the amount of gigs they did was way more than I wanted on top of a 50-60 hour working week. I ain't getting any younger!

A thing I'd like to change is some other band members' attitudes - like when you do actually get a bunch of people together that want to play the same sort of music, after a while one or more of them gets complacent and doesn't turn up to rehearsal very often.  There's a strong tradition of talking the talk but doing very little around these parts.

I feel pretty good for someone in their 50s but I'd like to be physically younger, but only if I could keep the knowledge gained.

• Like 1

Although I’ve had to make some changes recently I’m pretty content with my gear and bands, don’t think I’d actually change anything aside from if it were at all possible I’d get our singers leg back, he sadly lost part of it due to a motorcycle accident last year.

• Like 1

I dunno if I'd change anything personally - I wouldn't be where I am if I hadn't taken the paths I have.  Sure, it would have been advantageous to start playing bass when I was 9, but I was 30-something.  It's a unique perspective I guess - I came into it having consumed a lot of music as a listener.

If we could afford it, get a manager for the originals band - we are HORRIBLE at getting gigs and making the noise required to promote ourselves in this ever more attention deficit world, and rotten procrastinators when it comes to getting stuff done like recording - need someone to crack the whip a bit.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

What about your socks? 

Hey Waddo ! Have You heard anything from snorkie lately? 3 days without voice! Seems like he is starting some reincarnation process or something !? Poor old chuck.

Edited by nilorius

I suppose using hindsight we might change all sorts of things in our past, but that'd throw us into a completely different time-line and who knows what we'd be doing now (or even dead 😱) .. 

There's probably loads of insignificant things in life I might change.. a few stupid injuries I could have avoided for a start. 

I music, I perhaps should've made a better effort to keep one or two things going that had good potential.. Unlike a few here that have cited the reverse, I'd perhaps have gone more into guitar too. 

• Like 1