Why become a member? ×

NBD! 1979 Stingray!

CHRISDABASS

Hey folks!

I thought this wild looking thing would interest some of you! 

it’s a 1979 Ray in a very aged and rare Inca silver. Apparently there were less than 200 of these made (some say 153) out of 25,000 pre Ernie  Ball basses!  so i feel pretty lucky to have snagged one! 

I’d love to know your opinion on Mojo vs case queens! What’s your preference??

FD9F5B0C-B0B2-4B18-BCDB-6D5E3B362022.jpeg

08E30026-6907-42DB-9BB5-0B9AD1D6BF11.jpeg

FEDD6769-8F73-462F-A888-0BD3993EDC4D.png

3BF321F1-B376-4B96-9925-461D99B5DDF2.jpeg

46311824-D2DA-4FA7-90FA-AE35F0B53EFF.jpeg

• Like 26

I find that spine-tinglingly, almost obscenely, gorgeous.

And I echo the point made by our esteemed colleague:

2 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

wonder how on earth some of it happened!

In particular, the cavity excavated just beside the pickguard, above the control plate in the pics.

• Like 2

Fabulous - I think the number quoted as recorded was 133. As you may know from the history of Musicman, many bodies were rejected owing to paint defects and refinished at CLF - sometimes in different colours - there looks like there has been a coat of black on that bass before Inca silver - the silver had gone very green, which many do. 

39 minutes ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

In particular, the cavity excavated just beside the pickguard, above the control plate in the pics.

I agree - it’s great. People who play slap bass often find their bass pickguards and body wood get scuffed in the area where that wear is - one of my SR5s and several SR4s show wear (in the clear coat and on the pickguard) in that area. I think it’s scuffing from finger nails from ‘popping’ the strings. I would imagine pick players might also create wear like that when playing around the neck joint (for a more mellow sound). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

almost looks like it’s been used upside down/left handed, and that’s the mark from resting the thumb 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 17:32, CPCustomdubwise said:

Overshooting with a pick possibly?

4 hours ago, Bevan7 said:

That is amazing, one of the coolest stingrays I’ve seen!

I would love to see the slap playing technique that scuffs the body that far from the strings though, it must be pretty wild.

Yeah i’d love to see how all this wear happened! Maybe some kind of punk band or something? 

Hmm.  I'd love a pre Ernie stingray, but I think I'd like one that had been looked after a bit better.  My oldest bass is 1986 and has "signs of wear" but it doesn't look to have had a fight with an angle grinder.

Still, if it sounds good and not going to fall apart it's not really an issue.  And if you like it.... lucky guy.

• Like 1