Why become a member? ×

Kala U-Bass on crack

funkgod

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

From what I've seen over the years, any sort of music beyond the simplest boy/girl band stuff is a minority interest!

The majority of people I know, as opposed to actual friends, don't seek music out; they quite like a tune that's easy to hum but if they find one they won't necessarily look for more by that artist, they'd be happier with a "Now That's What I Call Music" comp as they will often conjure for them a mood of the time. They don't really want to sit there listening to great playing, or to seek out what's "advancing" music - music is largely a background thing. As a result of this, the majority of mainstream music follows a simple formula and is musically inoffensive.

All of which I think is a shame, and is probably the fault of a decline in music education in schools.

Funnily enough though, if you go to the continent there's a large market for more challenging music; frinstance I was in the tiny town of Marciac in the south of France a couple of weeks ago. It's got a population of just 1200, but has a dedicated music venue - the night we were there was a "slam poetry" show, following night was a Colombian folk group and the next was an electronic noise duo. But more importantly, it has a world-renowned jazz festival which is hugely popular and has far more experimental out-there stuff than we'd get at Cheltenham of Birmingham's alleged jazz fests! Frinstance, last year had Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog playing; they also played in Germany, Holland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and Norway, all to great acclaim, though London only got a night of Ribot solo. However, the previous 4 European dates had no UK dates... Similarly, Suicidal Tendencies haven't played the UK since 2018 with 1 date then and 1 in 2017. But on those same visits to Europe there were gigs all over France and Germany. And I don't think it's all to do with The B Word (!) as their last UK tour was 2016, but very little before that despite tons of European dates every year.

Much of the same unfortunately apply to Denmark where I live, much unlike our Scandinavian brothers/sisters.

15 minutes ago, OzJzF said:

Well playing an old jazz tune on a uke bass is obviously a crime against humanity...

I am just watching the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain on YouTube playing "Smells like Teen Spirit" as we speak. I suppose (hope) satire is excused.

Charlie Parker wrote that tune over "changes" of an older tune (I have no idea) to "scare away" the "amateurs" from getting on the bandstand. It was a whole "thing" called Be-bop. Cab Calloway, a band-leader of the time, called it "Chinese music". It was an intellectual masturbation process that jazz went thru. So these many many many (many) years later, it's still a "standard" to show your chops. Wowie Zowie. 

But I listened to it. I wish the camera was on her for the whole "head" of the tune, it is one acrobatic romp. I am of a certain age where that guy with the de-fretted Fender was rouging around & I was at Berklee and I had a Real Book. I tried. My chops were never THAT good. The tune has interesting chord changes and turn-arounds. It's a good study. 

At that precise time I was venturing into "other musics", and having a hard time with the educators @ Berklee so I left, formed a band with other Berklee Outcasts (now that would be a good name for a band), and got a job as a dishwasher, which eventually brought me to food preparation skills of the caliber to run a successful restaurant with my name on it. 

But never any $$$$$ doing the music I love.

So it was cool to listen to. Once. Made me think, Maybe I should check one of those Kala basses out. It's nice and small and my back might not hurt when I play it sitting down and it's a lot smaller than the Stick...

Then I picked the Stick up. Mumbled along on Donna Lee, and said, "Hey this stick is pretty cool. F*ck the pain..."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

...got a job as a dishwasher, which eventually brought me to food preparation skills of the caliber to run a successful restaurant with my name on it... 

StickyDBRmf is a curious name for a restaurant...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
restaurant is spelled restaurant, not returant
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

StickyDBRmf is a curious name for a returant...

My name is Marty and the restaurant was called Martys Marvelous Mexican Chow. 

My nom de plume here @ BassChat comes from I'm a "Stick" player who tunes Dual Bass Reciprocal and the little "mf" is, just because. 

I'm known by many names...

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

As is returant :)

Fixed...

And I see we don't share the same sense of humor.

I just thought I would find it curious if I actually encountered a restaurant with that name, especially a successful one, but apparently I am the only one who finds that thought amusing.

13 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Fixed...

And I see we don't share the same sense of humor.

I just thought I would find it curious if I actually encountered a restaurant with that name, especially a successful one, but apparently I am the only one who finds that thought amusing.

He'll probably start a franchise now and make millions, then you can do him for having the idea..😁

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Ok now I gotta ask, being a Yank. Is DBM an acronym I don't know about?

BM. Oh. 

What about the "D"?

I honestly wouldn't know, I guess I focused more on the first part of the name "Sticky", and just overall though it would be a rather absurd name for a restaurant, even with the rest of the letters being nothing but a meaningless random combination of lower case and capital letters.

But just looked it up, and this is what Wikipedia says:

"dBm or dBmW is a unit of level used to indicate that a power level is expressed in decibels with reference to one milliwatt."

Still absurd, if not particularly funny.

content aside, either it works for you or not, but just the fact shes playing it on a kala bass ! cant be easy that.

i did try one once it just felt awfull, the rubbery strings felt all baggy and fat, ..

i knew a girl like that once, couldn't get on with that either 🙂

Edited by funkgod

She is much cop though.  Whether anyone likes her playing and/or the music is something else.

Dont like the the horrid rubbery , elastic band in bowl of custard tone, but she can play, as can the others.

On 20/06/2023 at 22:29, funkgod said:

content aside, either it works for you or not, but just the fact shes playing it on a kala bass ! cant be easy that.

i did try one once it just felt awfull, the rubbery strings felt all baggy and fat, ..

i knew a girl like that once, couldn't get on with that either 🙂

Because of the speed in certain sections, she could probably only play it on a U bass with such small fret spacings. The rubbery feel and low string tension is relatively easy to adjust to and I agree that tone isn't best suited to up front bass solos like that. For me a U bass is great for approximating a double bass playing more traditional low register lines not shredding just for the sake of producing a spectacle. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gasman said:

She does look very pleased with herself for getting through it with only one wrong note - did anyone else spot it? Nice!

Was it the twenty sixth millionth, three thousandth, eight hundredth and ninety second one before the piano break? 🤔

• Like 1

I like her playing and the band in general but the bass seemed to get a bit lost when she started walking (but then this also often happens with bass guitar playing in a "straightahead" jazz setting).

I have a U-bass and it's a great "noodling about on the sofa" instrument - good for working out tunes when I can't be bothered to play the DB, but the tone can be a bit suspect alright.

I think she’s a great player and having done sessions on bass, keys, drums and guitar I know that Donna Lee isn’t the easiest tune to negotiate on any instrument. Having said that, all I’m hearing here is muso show off dry w@nk business. But she rocks it nonetheless. I couldn’t play it ever, so full respect from me for having a go 👍

• Like 1