Why become a member? ×

Nearly got scammed on here!!

RikiB

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You were the other account that got locked that I alluded to up the thread a bit (didn't want to name names!)

No, that is a different sort of thing, we have had a couple of those recently, that was just an attempt at spam, this was something by a person more targeted and specific.

Sadly if he has been successful in some way I would suspect that he may be back to try again. 

If people can be vigilant, and report anything suspicious,  and avoid any adverts insisting on F&F PayPal that they don't know, this would help

How would we report it? Is there an easy way or have to look to find an email or something?

12 minutes ago, daveybass said:

Listen,

if all else fails for @Basstardz, would there be an option where maybe people could donate some cash to maybe cover the loss.

It appears I've gone all Sir Bob!

Yeah that what I said last night that it would be good if people made a small donation to at least get some of his well earned money back poor guy

How would we report it? Is there an easy way or have to look to find an email or something?

There is a report link in the top right corner of every post, where the three dots are.  The three dots access a pull down menu.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RikiB said:

Yeah that what I said last night that it would be good if people made a small donation to at least get some of his well earned money back poor guy

Agree

If there's a positive to take from the amount of fraudulent activity, it's that Paypal and banks do seem to have upped their game recently and now require an additional level of authorisation via their apps before money can be moved.  I have seen a higher level than normal of spammy emails coming through in recent days.

49 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You were the other account that got locked that I alluded to up the thread a bit (didn't want to name names!)

No, that is a different sort of thing, we have had a couple of those recently, that was just an attempt at spam, this was something by a person more targeted and specific.

Sadly if he has been successful in some way I would suspect that he may be back to try again. 

If people can be vigilant, and report anything suspicious,  and avoid any adverts insisting on F&F PayPal that they don't know, this would help

@woodinblack

Many thanks! 

First time for me to have someone trying to hack my BC account...

12 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Maybe we should have a secret basschat question rhat only members would know the answer to that would prove they are legit.

I suggest "who is @nilorious 's favourite bassist?"

Which tonewood is right for metal?

35 minutes ago, TimR said:

How do the hackers obtain your email address. Is it on display somewhere that I'm unaware of? 

we all give our email address out all the time for legitimate reasons, well I do, an email address by itself is no problem (apart from unwanted emails) it's the passwords that go with them

I'm guilty of having the same BC password since 2007. I've just changed it, using a car numberplate from my past... but unless anyone knows what my dad was driving in 1977, which sequence of upper and lower case I've used and what special characters I've added/substituted, it should be reasonably safe... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

we all give our email address out all the time for legitimate reasons, well I do, an email address by itself is no problem (apart from unwanted emails) it's the passwords that go with them

But how does anyone who knows my email know I use basschat. And vice versa, how does someone using basschat know my email?

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

But how does anyone who knows my email know I use basschat. And vice versa, how does someone using basschat know my email?

The scammer wouldnt need to know the correct email.

He gave a different one for paypal.

Just now, TimR said:

He'd need an email to log on to basschat as the compromised user? 

Ah, i see what youre getting at.

That is bigger than this place. His main email, the email hebused to sign up here, was obviously hacked and they found he was a member of basschat that way.

They could have gotten hus main email from any number if places 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TimR said:

He'd need an email to log on to basschat as the compromised user? 

You don't need an email address to log into Basschat, just a username and password is enough.  I think you can choose username or email off memory.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Kev said:

You don't need an email address to log into Basschat, just a username and password is enough.  I think you can choose username or email off memory.

Makes sense. Would be good if the account automatically locks you out after 5 wrong attempts either permanently or temporarily. Stops the brute force attempts. 

Maybe it does...

The Friends and Family thing is a pain. I've asked for it as a seller, not because I can't be bothered to work out the fees (though it's a pain) but because otherwise one is vulnerable to malicious chargebacks by scammers. PayPal doesn't have a great reputation for fixing things sensibly. Mind you, I've never asked for dollars or anything else weird.

Point is, you need to establish trust before buying anything on teh internetz, and it's a good idea to take time doing that. Better to miss out on a possible deal than to lose a bunch of cash or an expensive bass.

• Like 1

I nearly got scammed by my bank just now.

I went to pay in cash the band had given me for practice room hire last night and the bank machine said I’d used a fake tenner. When I asked the teller to check for me, he came back saying actually the note was ok/must have been folded funny.
If I was in more of a hurry, I might easily have taken the bank’s word for it, and then fallen out with the drummer.

Anyway, I’ve just updated my BC password to something unique to this site.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

The Friends and Family thing is a pain. I've asked for it as a seller, not because I can't be bothered to work out the fees (though it's a pain) but because otherwise one is vulnerable to malicious chargebacks by scammers. PayPal doesn't have a great reputation for fixing things sensibly. Mind you, I've never asked for dollars or anything else weird.

Point is, you need to establish trust before buying anything on teh internetz, and it's a good idea to take time doing that. Better to miss out on a possible deal than to lose a bunch of cash or an expensive bass.

TBH there are so many scammers about combined with fosters poor couriers that for anything over £50 I would only meet and collect/pay in person.