Why become a member? ×

Have I Made A Mistake? The Great Conundrum...

binky_bass

53 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Kinal MK5, Overwater Progress 5, ‘78 Precision, MIJ Marcus Miller Jazz, Lakland DJ5, Lakland JO4, Warwick $$, Shuker 5, countless Stingrays, countless  Fender Precisions, Gretch Thunderjet, ESP Horizon 5 ……. on and on and on….

In general, if I lose love of a bass then that's it, no remorse.  I forget why I felt the need to move on the Bongo...as I've mentioned elsewhere, tonally I never quite nailed it; there was a tiny sweet spot between clarity and mush.  I wish I'd persisted.

• Like 1

Bought a Mike Lull PJ4 and traded in both my main basses at the time (a 1995 USA precision and 2008 USA Jazz) plus about £900 on top. 

One gig later I realised the Lull wasn’t my kind of thing at all. The two Fenders were gone by then, and then I sold the Lull anyway in due course, at a considerable loss, leaving me without any of the three basses involved!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

In general, if I lose love of a bass then that's it, no remorse.  I forget why I felt the need to move on the Bongo...as I've mentioned elsewhere, tonally I never quite nailed it; there was a tiny sweet spot between clarity and mush.  I wish I'd persisted.

As has been mentioned before, past basses and past girlfriends have a lot in common 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Hoping once the Bongo arrives (tomorrow if I'm lucky) my current feeling of sellers remorse will subside!

The gap needs filling!

20230531_120220.thumb.jpg.ae092e06df7accf445046620a53967e9.jpg

I was going to suggest you cut that ugly headstock off the Bongo but then you wouldn't be able to hang it up.

Once you sell stuff it just becomes easier. Yes, you might want an old bass back, but once you sell and sell and sell, you realise it doesnt really matter. Theres so much bass supply out there and so many easy accessible ways to buy it, you'll soon get over any sellers remorse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, relatable!

my first ‘big bass’ was a Stingray Special 5 in Cruz teal. It got it for my 30th and as the Specials just came out. Loved it to bits, colour was discontinued the next year. 

Stupidly sold it cause I needed the money, but some dozens of basses later I started looking for it/another one endlessly. Tough task. 

I managed to track down the bass which is now with someone of this parish - he teased with maybe selling it back to me, I appealed to his kindness and sentimental value but it did not happen as the owner still loved it. 

I contacted everyone including the BIMM as I have a friend studying there and they had a unit in Cruz Teal too - they wouldn’t sell it to me either. 

Nonetheless after a year searching I ended up finding a 5HH Cruz teal (2 pickups instead of one) and jumped to buy it from the US and import it into the UK. 

N Stuff Music had it brand new even if it had been 2-3 years out of production, talk about luck????? even bringing it into the UK with customs etc cost me about £2.4K, same as when they were first introduced here (now crazily priced at 3.2k+…!). 

Enjoyed it, recorded with it, loved it, but some personal loss last October dragged me to think ‘what’s the point’ and sold it to this forum too. 

I asked dibs first if the new owner of my second ever 5 Cruz Teal was to ever let it go, and sometime this February I got the call. 

I’m in a better frame of mind now, I’ve future proofed myself selling other basses and gear to stay low in budget and not need to ever sell it again and even with a new car and private health care etc I am not selling it. 

Happy ending eh?

especially after searching literally all over the world for this:

FEAB1FC8-35B1-448F-8561-C38F59FDBB1C.thumb.jpeg.37ea64a8ee6341dc6499e5f75c59bff3.jpeg

IMG_1333.thumb.jpeg.cc34da8fc5f2ab408c5312bd2061ebc1.jpeg

IMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.ce5b5834ae1c300f0a5e1b4ff7ee87a2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes you just get an itch for something different and it's only with hindsight that you realise that you should have probably stuck with what you had. I sold a USA Fender Precision years ago and used the proceeds to build a Jazz from parts that was pretty underwhelming. Last year I sold a MIJ Precision and built another 50s-style P. The new bass is nice, but after finishing the build I realised that I'd have probably been better off keeping the MIJ. Perhaps the moral of the story is that I shouldn't build my own bitsas.

• Haha 1

On 31/05/2023 at 12:51, JottoSW1 said:

I just keep everything,  nothing as high end as any of these.

As I'm left handed anything I've found is less easy to swap/replace.

This. I'm like this too, I have basses sitting in my rack that I never ever play but they would be incredibly hard to replace when seller's remorse hits. At the same time I have to admit that out of the 70+ guitars and basses I have owned there are only about three that I actually miss. And there have been a few instruments that I just wasn't ready for, and which I would appreciate a lot more now than I did when I owned them. One was a very high-end Human Base that was built for the now-gone German bass store "Mr.Bassman". They had two bass models based on regular production models, one being a Clover Slapper with some custom features and one being a Human Base Base-X neck-through with a rosewood top, Bartolini soapbars and 2-band electronics. They called it the Mr.Bassman "No Sweat" and I would love to have it back. It looked like this but lefty:

99721626_NoSweat.jpg.96b2ad0bd55b532d15e 

I’m having seller’s remorse these days about letting my ‘63 P go. However, it was over 10 years ago and it went for what we’re very good reasons at the time and it allowed me to explore other bass solutions, I was not to know I’d come full circle.

• Like 1

To add to that I regret selling my JMJ when they were going for £750 last year everywhere around January. 

Great little bass, just butter and rejecting the thought of paying £950+ for them merely 18 months later. The principle of it and that, now I’m on a crusade against that pricing 😂

just very glad I’ve had a shot at keeping my #1 bass, the one I’d do signature if ever brands would come knocking on my door haha - the rest can come and go. 

Ander. 

On 10/06/2023 at 11:17, LeftyJ said:

This. I'm like this too, I have basses sitting in my rack that I never ever play but they would be incredibly hard to replace when seller's remorse hits. At the same time I have to admit that out of the 70+ guitars and basses I have owned there are only about three that I actually miss. And there have been a few instruments that I just wasn't ready for, and which I would appreciate a lot more now than I did when I owned them. One was a very high-end Human Base that was built for the now-gone German bass store "Mr.Bassman". They had two bass models based on regular production models, one being a Clover Slapper with some custom features and one being a Human Base Base-X neck-through with a rosewood top, Bartolini soapbars and 2-band electronics. They called it the Mr.Bassman "No Sweat" and I would love to have it back. It looked like this but lefty:

99721626_NoSweat.jpg.96b2ad0bd55b532d15e 

Love that Bass.

I do try to rotate and play EVERYTHING even my old cheapies some of which are surprisingly good.

However I've been sidetracked by an ASM Hydrasynth Explorer, an awesome little synth that makes me sound like I can play !

Also "had to" buy a clearance sale Laney nexus tube as I doubt we'll see their like again. Silly overkill for me, but GAS.