Why become a member? ×

Well, somebody's getting a bit up themselves... (Royal Blood content)

Rich

On 01/06/2023 at 21:06, SteveXFR said:

Obviously that's the time to break in to the material from your experimental jazz side project. They're not in to it anyway. 

Or I've seen people bring in some flippant or absurd stage chat in a deadpan way just to see if anyone's paying attention, which can have a lot more charm than getting bitter at the audience.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

They were on. I watched one number. Don't know if they did another one - couldn't be bothered to stay up to see. Not a fan, but my partner's youngest son is part of their management team.

Royal Crud.

They did just the one song 25 minutes in.

On 04/06/2023 at 08:11, Rayman said:

If was on a stage in front of thousands of people, playing music I loved and getting paid, with a successful career behind me and a big fan base, I’d be very happy indeed, and I certainly wouldn’t be moaning about it, I’d be feeling very lucky and grateful.

Absolutely 100%. Back in the day I recall reading an interview with then-Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, where he expressed his anger at musicians who complain about going on tour etc, he said something along the lines of "every morning when I wake up I never cease to be amazed at my good luck, actually being paid to do the thing that I love most... If you hate it that much, give up and be a janitor or something...". I always thought he was a tít TBH but he was bang on with that.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 7

On 01/06/2023 at 21:06, SteveXFR said:

Obviously that's the time to break in to the material from your experimental jazz side project. They're not in to it anyway. 

On bass, Derek Smalls... He wrote this...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

No one wants to hear songs written by the bassist (unless it's Lemmy)

Or Steve Harris, or Sting, or Jack Bruce, or Paul McCartney, or Jaco, or Chris Squire, or Geddy Lee, or Cliff Burton, or Flea, or Les Claypool, or...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Or me, you cheeky bas!

Edit: oh wait, I forgot, no-one wants to hear our songs regardless of who wrote them.  Now I'm sad.

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Or Steve Harris, or Sting, or Jack Bruce, or Paul McCartney, or Jaco, or Chris Squire, or Geddy Lee, or Cliff Burton, or Flea, or Les Claypool, or...

Only jazz weirdos and bassists like Jaco. I have opinions about Les Claypool that would get me murdered around here. When  did Flea last write a decent song? I know I still had long hair. Cliff Burton was legendary but allowed Lars to play drums on his songs and that's unforgivable. 

You forgot Geezer Butler, everything he's done is exceptional.

We'll not mention Jerry Only, we'll apart from this to say we won't mention him.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 15:43, SteveXFR said:

Only jazz weirdos and bassists like Jaco. I have opinions about Les Claypool that would get me murdered around here. When  did Flea last write a decent song? I know I still had long hair. Cliff Burton was legendary but allowed Lars to play drums on his songs and that's unforgivable. 

You forgot Geezer Butler, everything he's done is exceptional.

We'll not mention Jerry Only, we'll apart from this to say we won't mention him.

I guess Geezer is included in the concluding ", or...", though a bit strange I forgot to include him by name, I got his signature EMG Geezer Butler signature P pickup in my main bass, and much like him it's absolutely exceptional. 

Also I happen to be one of those jazz weirdos you speak of, though more of an experimental/avantgarde music weirdo really, but used to be a metal head, and still listen to some of that devilish heavy music every once in a while, though most day I listen to the Danish national radio's DAB/online streaming jazz station.

As for Les Claypool I got kind of an ambivalent relationship to his music, regardless I have great respect for his bass playing and artistic skills in general.

Rest I largely agree with though, if only I knew this Jerry you mention (I genuinely got no idea... Edit! : Just looked it up, but while I do know Misfits, I am just not particular well versed in their musical output, which perhaps is a grave oversight from my side).

Also don't get me started about Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I am never going to forgive Anthony Kiedis, that small minded conceited donkey hole, for sabotaging Mr. Bungle's career and contributing to their break up (basically he called all festivals that had both Red Hot Chili Peppers and Mr. Bungle on the program, and refused to play if they didn't drop Mr. Bungle), just because they happened to call their album, which was released about the same time as Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Californication", "California".

I guess he was jealous of Mike Paton for actually being able to sing, and a genius at that too might I add, or maybe because Mr. Bungle's "California" album made Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Californication" look like a child doodle, devoid of any kind of real talent, in comparison (not that Mr. Bungle's genius experimental/avantgarde prog rock in reality was ever going to be any real competition to Red Hot Chili Pepper's sucking up watered down mind numbing pop rock). 

That said Flea actually seems like a genuinely nice and well meaning human being, despite acting like a 7 year old with ADHD (and as far as I recall from what I read about this whole incident he did actually at some occasion apologize to Mike Paton for Anthony Kiedis actions).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Phil Lynott anybody?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I guess Geezer is included in the concluding ", or...", though a bit strange I forgot to include him, I got his signature EMG Geezer Butler signature P pickup in my main bass, and much like him it's absolutely exceptional. 

Also I happen to be one of those jazz weirdos you speak of, though more of an experimental/avantgarde music weirdo really, but used to be a metal head, and still listen to some of that devilish heavy music every once in a while, Also don't get me started about Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Well you definitely got started!.

I just find all their music post BSSM rather bland and their use of the word California just a lazy way to fill syllables with as few words as possible. 

I actually like Les Claypools song writing, I just wish he'd drop about three quarters of the notes. Having said that, if we all liked the same thing then everyone would only listen to Robbie Williams and that's not a world I want to live in.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 13:36, Baloney Balderdash said:

Or Kim Deal, or Robert Been, or Roger Waters, or Steve Severin...

• Like 1

On 01/06/2023 at 23:09, Bassybert said:

The only person at a gig who loves a drum solo is the drummer.

And maybe, just maybe an audience member who plays the drums. But even then it's like watching your wife having sex with another man.

An explorer is trekking through a jungle. In the distance is the sound of tribal drums. All of a sudden the drums stop. The native guide suddenly looks very worried and agitated and says "Oh no, no, no. Drums stop. Very bad, very bad". The explorer asks "Why is it bad? What happens when the drums stop?". The guide replies "When drums stop, bass solo start"

• Haha 3

On 04/06/2023 at 08:11, Rayman said:

If was on a stage in front of thousands of people, playing music I loved and getting paid, with a successful career behind me

That may well be where he's put it.

• Haha 2

On 02/06/2023 at 00:09, Bassybert said:

The only person at a gig who loves a drum solo is the drummer.

And maybe, just maybe an audience member who plays the drums. But even then it's like watching your wife having sex with another man.

Please count me, as well as the majority of the kind of audience I've ever played for, out of that statement.

And I'd claim that any person who love music and is at the gig primarily to actually listen to music, rather than just to be entertained, would.