Why become a member? ×

You have £300 and you HAVE to buy a new bass today…..

Rayman

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

G&L Tribute LB-100

G&L Tribute JB-2

G&L Tribute Kiloton (B-stock)

All £299 at Andertons right now.  The LB-100 does P, the JB-2 does J, the Kiloton (sorta) does passive SR.  All done with aplomb.  Very happy with my Tribute LB-100.

This - you've got to shlep to one specific store but it's difficult to see anything beating the LB-100 at that price. You can't get the good Squiers for under 300 and the Affinity's are nowhere near. 

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Assuming the shop's busy-ish..

You could always ask to try the bass of your choice, then subtly meander towards the door... And do a runner.. 

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

Under the long coat and walk out like Rolf Harris singing 'Jake the Peg'.

For shame, kidding or not.

Currently in stock at Fair Deal Music -  a shop about 20mins from Rushbo HQ:

763857456_Screenshot2023-05-05135028.jpg.57f993e5305cd88b60942ae127f1cf8e.jpg

I would happily gig with that any day of the week.

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You could always ask to try the bass of your choice, then subtly meander towards the door... And do a runner.. 

Do You believe loosing Your Karma points would help ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I think the Stranglers did this in Andertons in the 70`s. You would think that old JJ would have paid them back :ph34r:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rayman said:

…… there’s a gig tonight, and you can’t access your gear. There’s an amp at the venue, but you need a bass.

It has to be new, from a store, today and there’s no time to modify it.

What are you going to buy?

**** it, I've changed my mind. I'll buy the cheapest bass in the shop which meets the criteria:

image.png.b4917c99e873edbbdd69961ce60e0388.png

Do the gig, then at the end smash it into the (not mine) amp they've supplied, and/or the drum kit, AND DEFINITELY the guitarist's kit too (will try to get the pedals in a golf club sweeping motion also).

Because its less than half the £300 allocated, upon the howls of derision and "that could have made a perfectly good bass for a child to learn and enjoy music on", I STILL HAVE £190.01 to buy them a bass AND A CHEAP AMP!

Win-win all round. Except for the guitarist. And maybe the drummer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

**** it, I've changed my mind. I'll buy the cheapest bass in the shop which meets the criteria:

Do the gig, then at the end smash it into the (not mine) amp they've supplied, and/or the drum kit, AND DEFINITELY the guitarist's kit too (will try to get the pedals in a golf club sweeping motion also).

Because its less than half the £300 allocated, upon the howls of derision and "that could have made a perfectly good bass for a child to learn and enjoy music on", I STILL HAVE £190.01 to buy them a bass AND A CHEAP AMP!

Win-win all round. Except for the guitarist. And maybe the drummer.

You say that now….. but you’ll bond with it during the gig….. and want to keep it.

As @neepheid @Jonesy and @jezzaboy have mentioned, one of the G&L Tributes on sale at Andertons.

It just so happens I gigged my G&L Kiloton tribute last Saturday and it performed very well, especially when our drummer dropped a stick during Basket Case, it held us all together.

G&L necks can be a bit chunky, not one of my preferences but the Kiloton and the JB-2 have a narrow jazz sized nut, even though they stick out a bit at the back, so I'd probably get one of those JB-2s

• Like 1

Whatever feels and sounds the best. Probably a Yamaha or Ibanez from my experience, although a Vintage brand P or J would be worth a shot if available. 

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Maybe go to nearest store and start playing a russian roulet !!!

If you're waltzing into a shop with a shooter, you may as well have all their cash and a couple of expensive basses... Tho tbh you may find a jeweller's down the road a better "blag"... 

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If you're waltzing into a shop with a shooter, you may as well have all their cash and a couple of expensive basses... Tho tbh you may find a jeweller's down the road a better "blag"... 

I won't and i don't :)