Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music. So underrated

YouMa

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Flesh & Blood FTW for me.

I’m a fan of most of their output, but think the first two albums are special. The debut album was a proper game changer, and so influential.

Also has the great inner gatefold where you’ve got Bryan Ferry looking like a suave alien, Andy Mackay like a futuristic teddy boy, Phil Manzanera a glam hippy, Paul Thompson a teenybopper pin up, Eno like, well, Eno, and Graham Simpson looking like a geography teacher.

Guess which one played bass?! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Also has the great inner gatefold where you’ve got Bryan Ferry looking like a suave alien, Andy Mackay like a futuristic teddy boy, Phil Manzanera a glam hippy, Paul Thompson a teenybopper pin up, Eno like, well, Eno, and Graham Simpson looking like a geography teacher.

862FFE93-A793-462B-B980-640BD9B45239.jpeg.f1e6bd42cf022918d80e1373fd7de64a.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I’m a fan of most of their output, but think the first two albums are special. The debut album was a proper game changer, and so influential.

I bought that when it came out, Remake Remodel, 2HB and Ladytron are still great tracks today.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I bought that when it came out, Remake Remodel, 2HB and Ladytron are still great tracks today.

Side 1 of the first album is probably one of the finest sides of an LP I’ve heard. 

There’s a fine reworking of Re-Make/Re-Model that Bryan Ferry does on his Let’s Stick Together album that features a fabulous slinky and groovy bass performance by John Gustafson. You’ve probably heard it, but well worth checking out if not… 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One of the few bands in my Dad's music collection that I actually liked. He had the Manifesto and Avalon albums, and I was delighted to discover their earlier stuff thanks to local second hand stores.

Then in the YouTube age it was great to see videos of them on shows like Old Grey Whistle Test. Andy Mackay's impossibly tight strides and "crotch bulge" are a little unsettling though...

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Have you heard 801 Live?...

Such a good album cover. A good bass (playing) album too. On the subject of Phil Manzanera side projects, I remember hearing a cracking version of Remote Control on Alan Freeman’s Radio 1 Saturday afternoon show that I think was part of a session he did. Manzanera’s playing is superb. Always hoped it would turn up somewhere on a reissue of something, but it sadly never has… 

The original Roxy Music, absolutely top stuff... Virginia Plain was one of the first singles I went out and bought with my own 50p pocket money, and even in the punk era, for some reason I always used to play it just before going out on our Sat. night "adventures".. like some little ritual. 

• Thanks 1

I noticed it way later, but Roxy Music's bass lines and bassists have had a huge influence on my own bass lines...

Love is the Drug is one of my favourite bass line and tune of Roxy Music, the bass being played by John Wetton IIRC.

801: so many memories coming back...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, as bassist in Roxy Magic, a well established Roxy Music tribute band, I feel I should chime in here...

Roxy had a series of great bassists, most notably John Wetton and Alan Spenner of course, but check out the bass playing on their debut album. Graham Simpson's playing is killer all the way through, in that lovely fluid, early seventies style. "Roxy Music" turned fifty last year, and we did side one of that album (plus "Virginia Plain." of course) at most of our live shows in 2022 to celebrate. I loved playing a version of Simpson's bassline on "2HB," which is a bit of a forgotten gem. John Porter's no slouch either. His bass playing on "For Your Pleasure," especially on "Do the Strand" is outstanding.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Roxy Music were underrated - they were MASSIVE at the time.

I wore out 'For Your Pleasure', what a great album.  'In Every Dream Home a Heartache' is up there in my all time favourite tunes.   Spacey weirdness - and what a guitar solo on the outro!  Ferry had such a unique style back then.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rushbo said:

Well, as bassist in Roxy Magic, a well established Roxy Music tribute band, I feel I should chime in here...

As you have played many of the tracks, have put them to paper? Any chance you have a library of bass scores?