Why become a member? ×

Metallica are the new Coldplay

Rayman

I was thinking the other day that Ed Sheerhan was the new Coldplay and has been for some time.

The best selling artists will always be someone reasonably bland and inoffensive that appeals to the widest posiible audience Metallica have never been that.

They are doing some heavy promotion right now and have picked up some new younger fans via Stranger Things, but they still peaked 30 years ago. You can argue about which album they peaked with, but most fans will name one of the first 5.

They used to stick it to the man, now they are the man.

The last good thing they made was the Black album, but unfortunately that was the very record that turned them into Coldplay. 

They’re not relevant anymore, but then who IS? Who will be the next Metallica?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rayman said:

They’re not relevant anymore, but then who IS? Who will be the next Metallica

There are a hundred new Metallicas. There were never so many bands with that quality potential. But the time that there was one Queen, one Stones, one Madonna, one Metallica etc is long gone thanks to the www.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is it true that almost every track they've ever recorded is in the key of Em?

No…there are lots in the same key.

I know Jason Newsted passed comment about wanting more than just playing in Eb the rest of his life when he left.

Metallica then did St Anger in all low tunings…

referring to older style ideas as “stock”

And now - they’re back doing “stock” stuff.

”Some Kind Of Monster” documentary absolutely killed that band for me.

• Like 1

Load killed them for me, I remember having to take the inlay out to compare the lyrics to what I was hearing, so sure I was that there had been a mix up at the tape plant. I've softened to it and Reload since, it was a natural progression for them, though, unlike the forced, mediocre "back to form thrash" garbage they've been churning out since. They would probably be a better band today if they kept going that route. I love SKOM, though. It's genuinely fascinating and fair play them for releasing it.

They're an intriguing band. I can't think of any band who were so very, very good turn so horrifically awful and completely lose touch with absolutely everything which made them great. Where they could write songs which grabbed your attention and kept it for as long as the song went, now they just have songs which long outstay their welcome, with stupidly long intros and pointless repetition, it feels, just to make the song long. Why they insist on filling every minute of a CD every time is also baffling. I have to check everything they release, though. They're the guys who wrote some of the best music of the 80's, I can't disassociate them from that, even though it has been relentless turd splutter for so long.

Lars' ears must be fried, though. The hi-hats are at tinnitus-inducing levels on the four new songs I've heard, so much so that I really don't think I can stand to hear anything else. They will never stop fascinating, however.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

”Some Kind Of Monster” documentary absolutely killed that band for me.

That was hilarious. Almost (but not quite) as funny as Bros: After the Screaming Stops, the Goss brothers coming across just slightly less petualant than Metallica.

• Like 2

I've been an ardent fan of Metallica since I was 14. Not a huge fan of Reload/Garage Inc./S&M, but I've always stuck with them.

Yesterday was my birthday and normally a new Metallica album released in my birthday would be a wonderful thing but for the first time I have absolutely no drive to listen to it. I've struggled with Lars' appalling, too-loud drums for years and now hearing them programmed to death on the new stuff... I think I'm done.

That and the new songs having as much wallop as a damp flannel.

• Like 1

I was a fan too…. I saw them back in the day, on the black album tour with Newsted….. they were amazing….. I actually loved Load, but now, they’re polished, main stream and irrelevant. They’re like Depeche Mode, Taylor Swift ….. etc etc….. all just part of the machine.

I mean, I’m old…. but I’m bored to death with what’s going on in music…. It’s all so safe and dull….. and Metallica are steering the ship. Yawn……

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 21:40, Rayman said:

They used to stick it to the man, now they are the man.

The last good thing they made was the Black album, but unfortunately that was the very record that turned them into Coldplay. 

They’re not relevant anymore, but then who IS? Who will be the next Metallica?

I hated the Black album, because it was the one where they turned into Coldplay. 

I think their ubiquitousness is because of Stranger Things. Suddenly, kids everywhere were listening to and learn8ng to play Master of Puppets. There's even a guy with a Tik Tok account, who plays MoP on all sorts of things from bicycle wheel spokes to bananas.

Metallica are, not Coldplay, they are the Simpsons. Every time you encounter something new, you just can't help but check it out, knowing it's going to be terrible, but are unable to break the mental link between the current dross and the genius early years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2