Why become a member? ×

Metallica are the new Coldplay

Rayman

On 16/04/2023 at 10:54, Doctor J said:

Metallica are, not Coldplay, they are the Simpsons. Every time you encounter something new, you just can't help but check it out, knowing it's going to be terrible, but are unable to break the mental link between the current dross and the genius early years.

This! Metallica’s first four albums are just perfect. Seasons 3-8 of the Simpsons are just perfect. Everything since then has just been a shadow of what came before. Both are great examples of something legendary truly losing its way. 

• Like 3

On 15/04/2023 at 00:04, Downunderwonder said:

If making it big in Norway while singing in Maori is sign....Alien Weaponry.

They went on a metal festival tour of Scandinavia and found the audiences singing back to them.

Te internet for the win.

Cracking band. I can't remember how I came across them but I'm very happy I did.

I've listened to it a fair bit since it arrived on the doorstep.

There are some interesting songs there, but nothing WOW. 

Lars' rat-a-tat snare stuff got really tiring and the volume/ eq of them cut across everything else (I guess we know who spent most time at the studio and signed the cheque)

Some of the tracks had real potential, but either threw away the best riffs or were just too long.

All IMO etc....

I'd go as far as say the first five albums were great (bass volume aside). The black album did have some classic tunes. One and Enter Sandman may not be as heavy as the earlier stuff but still up with their best songs.

Everything after that has just been forgettable really.

• Like 1

All of my favourite 'tallica stuff was done early in their career, but that doesn't mean that I won't listen to newer stuff. A band that's been around as long as Metallica are in the impossible position of either putting out the same sounding record until they call it quits or trying new things and risking alienating their established fanbase.

I'd rather have a band that stretches and challenges itself to grow than listen to the same E minor pentatonic riff for the rest of my days.

Different strokes and all that.

• Like 2

How about this…

We, as punters, are programmed (or swayed by the media) to love a band as they rise to stardom, then suddenly hate them for that popularity and turn on them because we’re told to….

Metallica

Coldplay

U2

Madonna

REM

Just off the top of my head. Let’s be honest, these are examples of ridiculously talented writers, performers, artists….. and we hate them all. Why? I can’t answer that.

Madonna for example, is an unbelievably talented performer and musician, who, knew exactly how to direct her band both in and out of the studio, about the musicality of her songs, and sang many of her hits in one take, while giving the hired help instructions on exactly what to do and how to play it.

Now…. we think she’s a washed up pensioner with terrible plastic surgery.

The music industry is an abomination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

RTL is absolutely amazing 

I think so; it's a band who've hit their stride but are still rising meteorically.  My favourite Metallica album since the day I heard it.  MoP might be their pinnacle but I love the ambition and savagery of RTL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayman said:

How about this…

We, as punters, are programmed (or swayed by the media) to love a band as they rise to stardom, then suddenly hate them for that popularity and turn on them because we’re told to….

Metallica

Coldplay

U2

Madonna

REM

Just off the top of my head. Let’s be honest, these are examples of ridiculously talented writers, performers, artists….. and we hate them all. Why? I can’t answer that.

Madonna for example, is an unbelievably talented performer and musician, who, knew exactly how to direct her band both in and out of the studio, about the musicality of her songs, and sang many of her hits in one take, while giving the hired help instructions on exactly what to do and how to play it.

Now…. we think she’s a washed up pensioner with terrible plastic surgery.

The music industry is an abomination.

They remain five of the biggest bands/artists in the world today, so not everybody hates them!