Why become a member? ×

What would You choose ?

nilorius

I'd get them to make me a Bass VI, but with a Shergold Marathon 6-string bass width and profile neck, 13.5mm string spacing at the bridge with a Graphic Ghost saddle system fitted. Then the pickups and vibrato system adjusted to match the wider string spacing. Standard Bass VI controls for the magnetic pickups terminating in a jack socket, and Roland standard multiway socket for the Ghost system to drive a Roland V-system. Gotoh machine heads that look like the Fender ones but have better enclosed gearing. Colour would be a metallic flake white including the neck, ebony finger board with block inlays and binding. Chrome scratch plate and hardware.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

I would select the options that would give me the greatest return from selling it.

13 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Because Jon Shuker already has ☺️

This...on both counts.

Ohhh, OK, I'll play: theoretically, if I wasn't going to sell it immediately, I'd want a Precision from the lightest piece of Ash they had (for a 7lbs total weight), Geddy-slim Jazz neck, brass nut, birdseye maple board (no markers)...in black. East P-Retro (tho they couldn't do that), Hipshot Ultralites (probably couldn't do that), Schaller 3D bridge (probably couldn't do that), maybe a DiMarzio DP122 pickup (probably couldn't do that).

Still wouldn't be as good as Jon's work, tho...in fact, re-reading that, I'd be having them make a copy of Jon's take on their original bass... 🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nilorius said:

If You had a situation from Fender custom shop hand made your choice for free! What would You choose - the body, neck, fingerboard, electronics, tuners - jazz bass or precision ?

I'll play (and not be a party pooper beyond wishing that this question was about the G&L custom shop instead of Fender)

Precision

Couldn't care less about body wood - ash, alder, poplar, whatever.

Black finish

Anodised gold pickguard

Reverse P pickup (would like some slightly hotter/overwound bobbins compared to normal)

Maple neck, I guess.  Why not throw in the skunk stripe?

Ebony fretboard with 21 frets, not 20 (that never made sense to me)

Block inlays

Matching black headstock

Gold hardware (whatever their top of the line stuff is)

If it had to be a Fender, I'd get them to make me a Roscoe Beck 5 with the 80s Performer body shape.

image.png.8735cf38f7c0dc2778b40cba1190e146.png

On the other hand, I could just get Jon Shuker to build me a headless version... oh god, the GAS strikes... 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I know that Fender often make higher spec models of artists signature instruments for them, if they do that for JMJ with his Mustang then it would be nice to get one of those.

I keep seeing these references and I find it a bit puzzling as I can't remember Jean-Michel Jarre ever playing bass.

• Haha 4

5-string, 34" scale Starcaster Bass. All black including the neck with an ebony fingerboard. Blocks and binding on the fingerboard. Reduced sized tuner keys to allow 5-in-line without needing to enlarge the headstock.

Edited by BigRedX

i think i'd go for a mustang 5 string, 30" scale, ebony board, blocks and binding, jazz pickups (60's wind) 18mm spacing and a super chunky neck, Nitro Daphne blue and matching headstock and Hipshot ultralite lollypop tuners and Hipshot bridge., 

as  i don't have such a magic pass i'll have to build it myself (albeit as a 4 string) using a Harley benton neck and some Wilkinson pickups and hardware.

the custom 5 string that andyjr1515 built me will have to do for my short scale 5 string duties.

Matt

If I was going to pay CS money then I really would insist on my custom choices.

This would mean Jazz profile thru neck 5er (they've done this before), with brass nut, ebony fretboard, 24 fret with active Lusithand preamp and SimS pickups. Alternatively either a PJ or HP pickup configuration.

Jazz body in green - probably British Racing green - with chambered body to reduce weight. Headless would be lovely but I expect that this would be one step too far for Fender. Aged brass hardware. 

Not very Fenderish really - I could probably get something along these lines from Overwater/ ACG/ Shuker for significantly less, buy everybody who was involved a bottle of Scotch each and still be in front.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

If I was going to pay CS money then I really would insist on my custom choices.

This would mean Jazz profile thru neck 5er (they've done this before), with brass nut, ebony fretboard, 24 fret with active Lusithand preamp and SimS pickups. Alternatively either a PJ or HP pickup configuration.

Jazz body in green - probably British Racing green - with chambered body to reduce weight. Headless would be lovely but I expect that this would be one step too far for Fender. Aged brass hardware. 

Not very Fenderish really - I could probably get something along these lines from Overwater/ ACG/ Shuker for significantly less, buy everybody who was involved a bottle of Scotch each and still be in front.

If it works out for you, remember I sent in this response and now consider myself 'involved'. A bottle of Loch Dubh please. 🫠

• Haha 1

Lefthanded Mustang Bass in aged Lake Placid Blue with white competition stripes on a lightweight alder body, with a gloss nitro maple neck, rosewood veneer fingerboard, matching headstock, lollipop tuners, regular Mustang electronics BUT! with a stacked '51 P style pickup under a closed cover as a bridge pickup, so the appearance matches the Mustang splitcoil. Mint green or aged white pickguard, VVT controls. With both pickups essentially being humbuckers, any position of the controls will be humcancelling. 

Essentially, this but with an added bridge pickup and lollipops:

tvto1fpdeex96broq0g4.jpg

1 hour ago, Huge Hands said:

If they would build anything you wanted, I would get a 5-string slab body 51-P with 19mm spacing and rely on them to make it look reasonably in proportion, not like some of the home builds I have seen with weird headstocks. 

That's easy, just make it headless.