Why become a member? ×

Best live gig hats

iconic

Just for fun...

My bass playing mate and myself have noted that the best bands seem to all wear hats up this way...it is Norfolk afterall. 

My own thoughts are that the bass player should always look the most sophisticated member of the band, cerebal, a classically trained look...a black leather beret perhaps...

....where as Joe thinks cowboys hats are the height of fashion so go with the flow, even if they are so common on stage. 

Mind you, we have seen some shockers, the green Robin Hood look just didn't have the necessary gravitas matched with a beautiful old white 'n tort Stingray....apologies if that player is a member here. 😎

I used to do the gig hat thing, and I might still pull one out if I'm dressing up a little for a wedding or whatever, but at some point I decided I wasn't really feeling it any more. I went through a succession of quite silly hats in my 20s (pointy felt wizard hat, a cod medieval velvet thing, one of the Davy crockett raccoon tail jobs) and later went to a few different colour and material trilby shaped hats to tone it down a little.

• Haha 1

One of my bands is a southern rock covers - cowboy hat is mandatory stage wear (see my profile pic). My other band is generic country/americana and I do not wear a hat (although our singer thinks I should still wear the cowboy hat). 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

No hats for me on stage. They get in the way of the hairstyle.

That ship has long sailed for me. My straw panama hat is disintegrating so has been retired and I have a fabric panama hat which has yet to be gigged.

41 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I have a pork pie hat courtesy of TK Maxx one lunchtime.

Comes in handy on my frequent bad hair days. 

I miss bad hair ☹️. However, I do have quite the collection of hats to keep my bonce warm/protected from the sun, although I don’t tend to wear them on stage any more.