Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite 40th Anniversary are Live!

joe_geezer

• joe_geezer changed the title to Status Graphite 40th Anniversary are Live!

Just received the email and had a good look - 12 of the 40th Anniversary, and 18 Special Edition.  Prices for the former around £7500, and for latter, around £5k up to £6.5k.  Not sure about the 'remastering' but all of the basses look beautiful and finishing is exactly as one would expect.  Looks like I'll be sticking with my old SII.  The new basses are well out of range (not that I suspect that Status will have any problem in selling these very rapidly)

Edited by three
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, three said:

Just received the email and had a good look - 12 of the 40th Anniversary, and 18 Special Edition.  Prices for the former around £7500, and for latter, around £5k up to £6.5k.  Not sure about the 'remastering' but all of the basses look beautiful and finishing is exactly as one would expect.  Looks like I'll be sticking with my old SII.  The new basses are well out of range (not that I suspect that Status will have any problem in selling these very rapidly)

Couldn't put it better myself & yep, I will also be sticking to my old S2 :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I thought they'd closed the business... An odd April fool joke?

The machine (never) stops! If you read Robs introduction to the 40th Anniversary basses, he mentions -

I currently have no plans to continue graphite composite production so these
will be our last graphite composite basses.

So does that leave things open to working 100% with wood? Maybe some T-basses in the future?

Edited by joe_geezer

2 hours ago, Geddys nose said:

If you have a existing S2000 I think the S/H price has just shot up again for you.

Just had a glance at 'Basses for Sale' - it would appear you're right

Edited by three
spelling
  • Like 1

I was kinda expecting these to be actual new instruments, built from scratch. I was surprised to read these were unfinished instruments and molds that have been revived, modernized (truss rod added, and updated preamps with current-issue pots). They turned out beautifully, and this is an incredible opportunity to own a unique, updated 1980s S2000, but those prices are eye-watering. 

• Like 1

I always fancied a Series 2, probably a nostalgia thing from seeing the Trace Elliot and Status adverts when I was a teenager. Well out of my price range now. But I do still have a composite headless Moses neck so will have to build something around that.

• Like 1

I'll always regret parting with my s2 classic deluxe back in the day, anything more than an energy is hopelessly beyond me now. :( I do still hope to pick up a Washburn status one day though. 

010F95D7-3FB8-4899-BD60-867E78A2E7C1.jpeg

7AAE492F-2338-424E-A2C2-D40587E54E9A.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 1

In truth, I'm still kicking myself as I waited for a week after I had the money for a Stealth and at the end of that week they in effect shut for reasons which became clear later.

There is no way I'd buy one at those prices. I think the highest price stock 4 string was about £3500. I have no axe to grind about it as Rob has more than put his time in and given his health issues, he deserves to retire. Besides, I bought the last ever Buzzard which is an insane instrument, so I've always been more than happy with that.

I do fear that were the business to be sold on in 3 years when he finally retires, the prices will double much like the way Wal prices have went up since 2008 when Paul Herman restarted the brand. I think in the almost 2 years waiting for mine to be built, there were 4 price rises. Again, no axe to grind there either as I've got a brilliant Mk2 which I had built in 2015 which is amazing.

• Like 1

I find it odd that I put an original S2 up at bass direct in superb condition last year and we could only get £3250 for it. These later basses are not the original thing but fetch much higher prices. 

In contrast an early Fender would always outprice an ‘Anniversary’ reproduction.

image.thumb.png.b7bff56f4aed868f46e3df0400b838ae.png

Edited by MJJS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Doesn’t sound like anyone here has contacted Rob about any of these instruments.

I sent a message registering my interest, but have heard nothing.

Anyone had any response?

I'd be very surprised if any were still not sold after about 5 minutes of that email being sent 

We are living in a new reality when there is a market for "vintage" Status basses, considering how they were the embodiment of everything modern and progressive at the time. I remember when they first came out! 

These look like a fitting farewell from a superb British company. I'd like an earlier 80's style model in the plain graphite weave, but it looks like they are all gone.😟

• Like 1

I sold my Series II in the mid '90s, just when I started really getting into  Jazz basses. The Status had been with me since '86 and suddenly, one day, I fell out of love with it and sold it to a guy in a guitar shop who was desperate for it. About a year later, he offered to sell it back to me but I declined. It wasn't until the early/mid 2000's that I began hankering after it again. After much seeking, I found it on Statii. I remember contacting the owner, asking him  if he'd consider selling it, and he pretty much said 'no chance'. C'est la vie.

82820605_Statii(1).thumb.jpg.ae064a9ee7aa70b14756df7556a5a37d.jpg

Edited by NikNik