Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

This sounds cool! Will see if I'm free, but fingers crossed! I went to one very small bass doo in Birmingham about 8-10 years ago, but that's the only one I've been to. 

Just getting back to BC after a lengthy hiatus. 🙏

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dang it!  I haven't been to a bass bash since the demise of the Moffat bashes and was thinking of hatching a plan to come down.  Unfortunately, I checked the calendar and I've got a gig the night before.

./~ I drove all night ./~ - eh, no, Aberdeen > Taunton after playing a gig, would probably fall asleep at the wheel.

Have a good one, folks.

• Sad 1

On 01/04/2023 at 11:18, neepheid said:

Dang it!  I haven't been to a bass bash since the demise of the Moffat bashes and was thinking of hatching a plan to come down.  Unfortunately, I checked the calendar and I've got a gig the night before.

./~ I drove all night ./~ - eh, no, Aberdeen > Taunton after playing a gig, would probably fall asleep at the wheel.

Have a good one, folks.

Could you get to the Midlands Bash in Nottingham on 22 April?

Edited by Richard R
Got the ruddy date wrong! Now corrected!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is a list so far of definite and possible attendees for the Absent Friends Memorial SWBB 2023. Feel free to copy/paste/amend/etc:

1. The food. Oh god, the food.
  2. @scrumpymike 
  3. @Jabba_the_gut - an array of stunning builds, probably
  4. @Rich - Spector Q4, Shuker 5-string, G-B Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T
  5. @Kateplaysbass - assorted short scale loveliness and Ashdown ampiness
  6. @Woodinblack - Ibanez AGB205, possibly NS WAV5 bass, various amps for mooted amp shootout (tbc)
  7. @basstone 
  8. @Phil Starr - the usual top notch collection of home built speaker projects and other fascinating stuff
  9. @BreadBin 
  10. ✝️
  11. @MichaelDean 
  12. @TRBboy 
  13. @Chienmortbb - loads of stuff 
  14. @Thor - a few bits
  15. @Frank Blank - Jabba short scale fretted and fretless, Ibanez SRC6, Grace Design Alix, QSC K12.2
Edited by Rich
It's not just Norm we'll be missing :(
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Steve @Chownybass, will you be able to join us or are you going to be running round a city somewhere? :D 

October? No runs that I know of! :) Will probably have some guitars again by then too! 

With that said. I'm only £44 from my London Marathon sponsorship target. I'll shamelessly plug that anywhere. And you brought it up! https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/stephen-chown-london-marathon

• Haha 2

On 14/04/2023 at 10:04, Rich said:

OK, this is a list so far of definite and possible attendees for the Absent Friends Memorial SWBB 2023. Feel free to copy/paste/amend/etc:

EDIT: see original post for up to date list

Thanks for that Rich.

Edited by Rich

Horrified to see I am not on the list. So I WILL be there, and as to what I am bringing?

From,

Basses Fender Aerodyne/Sire Marcus Miller M2

Amps Bugera Veyron M1001/Ashdown Retroglide 800 and possibly home build 500 watt bass head based on one of @passinwind's pre-amp designs.

Cabs TBC but one of the LFSys designs.

Effects Zoom B2-Four, Zoom B1-Four

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

October? No runs that I know of! :) Will probably have some guitars again by then too! 

With that said. I'm only £44 from my London Marathon sponsorship target. I'll shamelessly plug that anywhere. And you brought it up! https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/stephen-chown-london-marathon

Mrs Scrumpy and I have just lobbed a tenner in your direction, so only £34 short 🙂 Now then, about your attendance at this year's Bash... 😉 

20 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Horrified to see I am not on the list. So I WILL be there, and as to what I am bringing?

From,

Amps Bugera Veyron M1001/Ashdown Retroglide 800 and possibly home build 500 watt bass head based on one of @passinwind's pre-amp designs.

You're on the list now :D that home-brewed amp would definitely be of particular interest, I suspect. 

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

From,

Are you documenting your home build on here? I'd be interested in the design and build 🙂

• Like 1

Let's see if I can stay longer than fifteen minutes this time.

I'll be driving down the evening before from Essex, staying in a hotel and driving back after. Should have room for one passenger.

The food. Oh god, the food.

@scrumpymike -

@Jabba_the_gut - an array of stunning builds, probably

@Rich - Spector Q4, Shuker 5-string, G-B Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T

@Kateplaysbass - custom build short scale

@Woodinblack - Ibanez AGB205, possibly NS WAV5 bass, various amps for mooted amp shootout (tbc)

@basstone –

@Phil Starr - the usual collection of home built speaker projects

@BreadBin

@MichaelDean

@TRBboy

@Chienmortbb - loads of stuff 

@Thor- a few bits

@Frank Blank - Jabba short scale fretted and fretless, Ibanez SRC6, Grace Design Alix, QSC K12.2

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

So I’ve got the following kit, if any one is interested I’m happy to bring some/any of it along:

Sadowsky Will Lee 4

Sadowsky UV70

Oly white ’69 Jazz

Xotic Chuck Rainey XP4

Lakland Duck Dunn

Marshall VBA400

Aguilar DB750

MarkBass F1

Trace Elliot RAH600SMX

Mesa Boogie TT800

Orange AD200B

Barefaced Big Twin 2

Aguilar GS412

Pete😊

Edited by Thor
Added a few bits
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So as well as the gorgeous custom short scale, I have a few other shorties and would be happy to bring any that people want to try (subject to still having them - a couple of these are up for sale!):

Maruszczyk Jake 4P

Spector Bantam

Atelier Baby Z PJ

Eastwood Airline Map

Nordstrand Acinonyx 

Amp-wise, it's Ashdown all the way - CTM 30 and ABM300, with 1x15 and 2x10 cabs. 

I'd be interested in seeing the Lakland Duck Dunn 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

As well as a collection of the BassChat speaker designs and the shootout John @Chienmortbb and I should be running some frequency response tests on amps this year. If you want your's tested then make sure you bring it along.

I'd definitely be interested to see how my Shuttle 9.2 does.