Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

My sincere thank to @scrumpymike and his clan for organising another wonderful Bash. Everything went so smoothly, it's easy to overlook the amount of organisation that goes into staging this kind of event. The food was a highlight, of course, and the weather meant we could all eat lunch outside in the sunshine. Lovely!

What a fantastic selection of basses to admire and try out! The early afternoon shootout seems to have become a regular event, and @Phil Starr's insightful comparison of a wide range of bass amps didn't disappoint. Hats off to @neepheid, who drove down from Aberdeen and - amazingly - completed the 550-mile return journey in one go in a car full of gear.

It was also gratifying to see a fair number of Basschat DIY cab builds on display.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Fyi, just received a nice email from 'yorks5stringer' Keith's widow, Anna, thanking us for what we've done:

"Hi Guys

I was just saying to Loren that I hadn't heard from you since Sunday and she let me know that you had emailed us both on her email and she had presumed you had sent it to me too and that I had replied. That is the reason for the late reply.

It was very good to hear how it went and just lovely to have a couple of pics and it was very moving to see the t-shirt. Thank you for that.

I was thinking of you all, all day. Mickey sent a bass chat link too with all the comments from the Bassists. It sounded like a very successful day for you all including the food.

I was surprised to hear that you sold some stuff. It will come in very handy for the things that keep going wrong here and need fixing. So thank you. 

I have a man here from Totnes, come to see the last of keith's gear. Hopefully he will buy it.

Thank you Mike and Gabrielle - it was good to meet you.

All good wishes

Anna"

She also sent me her bank details so I can transfer the £120 we raised from the sale of Keith's stuff. I'll forward them via PM to the couple of Bashers, who told me they had taken items but didn't have cash to pay on the day.

Loren is Keith's daughter btw.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Fyi, just received a nice email from 'yorks5stringer' Keith's widow, Anna, thanking us for what we've done:

"Hi Guys

I was just saying to Loren that I hadn't heard from you since Sunday and she let me know that you had emailed us both on her email and she had presumed you had sent it to me too and that I had replied. That is the reason for the late reply.

It was very good to hear how it went and just lovely to have a couple of pics and it was very moving to see the t-shirt. Thank you for that.

I was thinking of you all, all day. Mickey sent a bass chat link too with all the comments from the Bassists. It sounded like a very successful day for you all including the food.

I was surprised to hear that you sold some stuff. It will come in very handy for the things that keep going wrong here and need fixing. So thank you. 

I have a man here from Totnes, come to see the last of keith's gear. Hopefully he will buy it.

Thank you Mike and Gabrielle - it was good to meet you.

All good wishes

Anna"

She also sent me her bank details so I can transfer the £120 we raised from the sale of Keith's stuff. I'll forward them via PM to the couple of Bashers, who told me they had taken items but didn't have cash to pay on the day.

Loren is Keith's daughter btw.

Well done. You guys bring back my faith in the insane world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Did anybody get set "write a full account of the amp shoot-out" for homework?

...no, but somebody** did advise Mrs 'squeemer' (apologies for my MCI) to take notes, as "we would certainly be tested on it all, later" 😉

(** No names, no pack drill)

Edited by sandy_r

Ah  - Mrs Screamer lol - I'll tell her you said that  - that looks like her 18 as far as I can make out 

and that's me 10  I believe , behind Stevie -  must say an excellent day - THE FOOD ------ now 

I understand why everyone was going on about  it - well this was my first time - well done all the 

organisers - will try and get down for next year too 

• Like 1

Any more?

1. neepheid   2. kateplaysbass   3. MichaelDean   4. Jabba_the_gut   5. Buddster   

7. GrahamT   9. Breadbin   10. choob.squeemer   11. stevie   12. Chienmortbb  

13. Rich   14. verb.  15. MoJoKe   16. sandy_r   17. moooper   17a. Sully (moooper jnr)   18. Mrs choob.squeemer   

19. basstone   20. obbm   21. stewblack   22. scrumpymike   23. Woodinblack   24. Graham   

25. Phil Starr   26. Sally   28. Lorna   29. Mrs Scrumpy   30. Sabby

DSC_3689bassbash.thumb.jpg.c990e2f5f1dd7cb12db5dda1fefa26c8.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

Also: @scrumpymike, did the whole day break even in the end? If not, I and I'm sure others will be ready to stick my hand in my pocket to make up any shortfall. 

Yes, we broke even with enough left over to pay for the customary post-bash Chinese take-away treat for the event team at our house - provided the few pre-paid DNAs don't ask for their money back 😐

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GrahamT said:

Personally, I would be happy to pay a higher ticket price to ensure that the event is self-supporting. 

51 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ditto. Such a brilliant day out is worth more than mere money.

Most kind and generous but it's all under control, honest 😊.  When I get a minute, I'll send a PM to the pre-paid no-shows offering them either a refund or FOC entry for next year. I'm pretty sure the latter will be the majority choice.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

Pleased to see that the performance of my Ampeg SVT-7 PRO in Sunday's amp shootout appears to have generated at least one enquiry for the one listed FS on here. I've kept revisiting the ad and wondering why on earth it's still there! It was getting to the point where I was considering buying it myself as a back-up. I think these are superb amps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Pleased to see that the performance of my Ampeg SVT-7 PRO in Sunday's amp shootout appears to have generated at least one enquiry for the one listed FS on here. I've kept revisiting the ad and wondering why on earth it's still there! It was getting to the point where I was considering buying it myself as a back-up. I think these are superb amps.

If I didn't love my ABM 600 (don't know why we didn't get one of those on stage!), I'd have been looking for one. It was a lovely thing. So easy to dial a good tone on.

I know I spent a while on the old school Trace, but that was trying to get rid of a rattle from the speaker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

NEXT YEAR'S BASH DATE FOR YOUR DIARIES:

Sunday October 13th, 2024

Usual place, usual time, usual format. The hall is booked, so BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!! ☺️

Missed my wedding anniversary, good start :)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

NEXT YEAR'S BASH DATE FOR YOUR DIARIES:

Sunday October 13th, 2024

Usual place, usual time, usual format. The hall is booked, so BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!! ☺️

I might book a holiday that week. We always seem to have good weather then.

• Haha 2