Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

OK, so this is me starting a new topic for

This year's Bash ☺️

The hall is booked from 10am to 4pm on

Sunday, October 8th, 2023

so get that date in your diaries NOW!

The Memorial Hall, Cheddon Fitzpaine, Rowford, TAUNTON, TA2 8JY  https://www.cheddonfitzpainevillagehall.co.uk/

(The picture below shows the entrance to the hall driveway but the old lodge pictured is a private house)

IMG_5125.JPG

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yep - obviously going to be there. Who knows what to bring though, I guess the only new things I have is the ibanez AGB205, and the NS WAV5 bass, but I am sure we will have one of those! Well, its quite a way until october so who knows what will arrive in that time.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I'll bring the usual collection of home built speaker projects and am happy to run a shootout. 

Yes, these are always v.interesting, some surprising results too. I'll have my Barefaced cab if you want to do a 2x12 comparison, although I think that was what we had in 2021. Did you do one last year?

As for a live player, I'm not sure I'd want to get my feeble chops out in public... :$

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

As for a live player, I'm not sure I'd want to get my feeble chops out in public... :$

my feelings too :)

There's another problem I found this year, it's hard to be technician, compere and play bass at the same time. It would be good to be a bit slicker so people can get a bit more out of it and another person up on stage would be really helpful.

Any shootout would have to be set up really carefully to be really meaningful so this is mainly for fun and to stimulate the old brain cells. I did wonder about something different this year. Deliberately choosing different sized drivers/cabs or trying identical drivers in a range of cab sizes. Maybe forget cabs and try different amps with the same cab and make it an amp shootout.

1 minute ago, Phil Starr said:

Maybe forget cabs and try different amps with the same cab and make it an amp shootout.

Ooh, that's not a bad shout. My G-B Shuttle 9.2 available if we go down that route.

16 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

There's another problem I found this year, it's hard to be technician, compere and play bass at the same time. It would be good to be a bit slicker so people can get a bit more out of it and another person up on stage would be really helpful.

Any shootout would have to be set up really carefully to be really meaningful so this is mainly for fun and to stimulate the old brain cells. I did wonder about something different this year. Deliberately choosing different sized drivers/cabs or trying identical drivers in a range of cab sizes. Maybe forget cabs and try different amps with the same cab and make it an amp shootout.

Yeah Phil, your efforts are heroic and as well as being well appreciated are often affirming the sound and build quality from your projects and the BC and LFSys designs when pitched against the more established top end products. Any sneak preview of projects in the pipeline for this years' bash?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I'm up for that too. Suggest we use Stevie's LFSys Monaco, for which I am now an unashamed, totally biased advocate 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 10:32, MichaelDean said:

Ooooh, I'd like to come along this year. Not been to a bass bash before!

You'll be more than welcome. Bring any gear you want (or bring none, it's your choice) and remember to not have a big breakfast :lol:

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2