Why become a member? ×

Smallest 500+ watt head?

ukbassboy

Pretty much as per the title, I'm interested to know what the smallest (size and weight) head that puts out 500w or more into 4 ohms is?

I'm lucky enough to have a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0 which is both light and ridiculously powerful (2x 600w into 4 ohms) running into a Barefaced Big One which is my main gigging rig. That is already pretty light and small, certainly so for the masses of noise they generate but as they normally reside in a practice room two counties over, I'm also looking for an even smaller setup for home and pub gigs. I recently picked up a Markbass Nano Mark 2 which is insanely small for a 300w amp; that got me thinking though, what is the smallest head that puts out at least 500w? Something like the Tecamp Puma 500/Eich T500? I have a Helix Stomp so pretty confident I can use that to dial in pretty much any sound I want (particularly given how flat the BF cabs normally are), so I don't need a complicated pre or anything, just interested in what the art of the possible is these days in size vs power?! 

A Quilter Bass Block 800 maybe?

It's 800w into 4 ohms so should put out about 600/700 into your Barefaced cab. It's dimensions are 218mm x 190mm x 76mm and 3.7lbs according to the blurb.

Tiny and super light - I love mine.....

(ps Not my pedalboard - It's just a pic to show the size of the BB800)

image.thumb.png.da62d5efe18bc63643ca718f712bd3cb.png

Edited by Mudpup

Some great suggestions already - hadn't noted the Begantino Forte or Quilter BB800 previously so will check them out. 

@d-basser I have considered a power amp but not seen one that offers a clear advantage in size, power and price vs a class D bass head. I'm also not completely sure I'm ready to ditch the convenience of some EQ controls pointing straight at me all gig! 

On 27/02/2023 at 08:50, ukbassboy said:

@d-basser I have considered a power amp but not seen one that offers a clear advantage in size, power and price vs a class D bass head. I'm also not completely sure I'm ready to ditch the convenience of some EQ controls pointing straight at me all gig

Most power amps are for PA or Disco use  and so have 2 channels. A preamp does not take up much room, hence bass amps are smaller. The smallest head I have used at that sort of power is the Ashdown Retroglide 800. It uses the same power section as the larger RM800, Mesa 800W heads and others, although Mesa do seem to squeeze more power from it than most. 

You could also look at the Harley Benton Block 800. It also uses the same power module and although many dismiss the pre-amp, it is a lot of power for the money. https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_block_800b.htm

Edited by Chienmortbb

2 hours ago, ukbassboy said:

I have considered a power amp but not seen one that offers a clear advantage in size, power and price vs a class D bass head. I'm also not completely sure I'm ready to ditch the convenience of some EQ controls pointing straight at me all gig! 

GSS Sumo? GSS make several power amps, up to 1200W, which are very compact. Not too expensive, either. Someone was selling one on here recently.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

I can recommend a TecAmp Puma 900 as @Paul S mentions, very light and compact. 600w at 8 ohms and the full 900 at 4 ohms obviously. Very clean and clear, I use it with both my Barefaced set ups. Comes in its own little handbag too 😂

The new equivalent is the Eich T-900 I think. I think you can still pick up the Puma relatively cheap second hand. 

• Like 2

On 27/02/2023 at 09:41, Chienmortbb said:

You coy,d also look at the Harley Benton Block 800. It also uses the same power module and although many dismiss the pre-amp, it is a lot of power for the money. https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_block_800b.htm

The 800B looks really interesting - same ICEpower power stage as most of the expensive 'branded' options at a fraction of the price. Might keep an eye out for one on marketplace. 

It's not clear what speaker you want to use this with, you refer to the amp and big one 'residing two counties away'. If you are using a speaker that efficient you wouldn't need 500W+ so your downsized rig could be one of the ELF/BAM/Gnome 200W amps with a suitable speaker

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I can recommend a TecAmp Puma 900 as @Paul S mentions, very light and compact. 600w at 8 ohms and the full 900 at 4 ohms obviously. Very clean and clear, I use it with both my Barefaced set ups. Comes in its own little handbag too 😂

The new equivalent is the Eich T-900 I think. I think you can still pick up the Puma relatively cheap second hand. 

The TecAmp Puma 900/Eich T900 seems to be the winner form-factor wise vs the various "block" incarnations. Presume the ICEpower 250ASX2 modules that Eich use are just a smaller profile. I did read that the tested output of the 900 is closer to 700w but that's more than enough for me! Will keep an eye out for a 900 on marketplace. 

1 minute ago, Phil Starr said:

It's not clear what speaker you want to use this with, you refer to the amp and big one 'residing two counties away'. If you are using a speaker that efficient you wouldn't need 500W+ so your downsized rig could be one of the ELF/BAM/Gnome 200W amps with a suitable speaker

In all likelihood a Barefaced Big Baby, but possibly Super Midget/Mini. I have an Ashdown 410 at home at the moment but that needs to go in favour of something I can lift into the car on my own without damaging either the speaker, Car, or my back! 

I have very recently purchased a Markbass Nano Mark 2 locally though that was completely spur of the moment and without understanding what developments there have been in amp design over the last 12 years or so since I bought the Shuttlemax. That may well be all I ever need for the smaller setup, but know I found 150w @8ohms a little lacking in the past so keen to (retrospectively!) understand what modern class D amps are capable of in a very small package. A LOT is the answer! 

I've done small pub gigs with a Warwick Gnome and a 1x12+Horn so you would be as loud with your Big Baby. I can match the drums in volume so I don't need any more, that's what the PA is for. I don't suppose ther is a lot left but it has been a perfectly workable solution down the Dog and Duck. With your Big One I don't think you'd struggle at all.

We ran some measurements on those three and there is a lot of family resemblance. They all have a smiley face response with the midrange controls and the midrange dip centred on 400Hz. The Warwick has a rising top end response and the Elf a very traditional mid suck out smiley face. You can eq them to get pretty much the same sound but the Elf probably sounds nicest out of the box. They also all trim the bass with a bit of HPF which is good as it isn't really needed and the amp protects the speakers a little.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Subway D-800 is 800 watts into 2 or 4 ohms, the aux input is suitable for using as a power amp input.

Thanks for swinging by @agedhorse, I'm a big fan of your work on the GB 12.0 which has provided me with years of sterling service so always enjoy your input to our forums!!

The D-800 does look like a very nice amp, but from what I can tell availability on the new or used market in Europe is next to non-existent, so not something I can readily consider. I also feel like the form factor more closely resembles my 12.0 so would be more a replacement for that (if it ever dies and you can't fix it!) rather than an ultra compact option. 

It's like Top Trumps here.

I've looked at small amps, currently running a Darkglass AO900 (into a pair of DG112s).  To be honest, I could probably have gotten away with just buying the Microtubes 900v2, as it's a little less aggressive (anyone fancy a swap?  lol).  It's smallish, not much bigger than a Stephen King novel.

Honourable mentions?  GSS Baby Sumo or the Demeter Mini 800D.

21 hours ago, ukbassboy said:

Thanks for swinging by @agedhorse, I'm a big fan of your work on the GB 12.0 which has provided me with years of sterling service so always enjoy your input to our forums!!

The D-800 does look like a very nice amp, but from what I can tell availability on the new or used market in Europe is next to non-existent, so not something I can readily consider. I also feel like the form factor more closely resembles my 12.0 so would be more a replacement for that (if it ever dies and you can't fix it!) rather than an ultra compact option. 

It's quite different from the ShuttleMax amps and about 1/3 the size.

I would expect that you will start seeing Subway products in Europe in the next 3 months or so, we are finally digging ourselves out of backorders and parts sourcing issues. Crazy times we are living in.

• Like 5

The way I look at it is that the smaller the size the easier it is for someone to steal. My main power amp is capable of 2KW and with it's pre-amp in a 4 space SKB case I can pick it up with two fingers.  That's small enough and light enough for me. :)