Why become a member? ×

Neck ”depth”

1 minute ago, Cato said:

Dear Dr @Ricky 4000

I've got my set square out and my nipples are around 1 inch to either side of my ear lobes.

Should I see my GP?

Hhhhhhh, as Dave sort of pointed out - maybe forget what I said about lobes, and just go with the centre of earhole to earhole vs nipple to nipple.

That works for all animals (including humans), with nipples in a pair or pairs.

HTH. 👌

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ricky 4000 said:

Hhhhhhh, as Dave sort of pointed out - maybe forget what I said about lobes, and just go with the centre of earhole to earhole vs nipple to nipple.

That works for all animals (including humans), with nipples in a pair or pairs.

HTH. 👌

And we're definitely talking earholes?

• Haha 2

On 09/02/2023 at 06:24, PaulThePlug said:

As for stripping the paint...

A gloss finish can get a little grabby with a sweaty paw...

Simply knocking the sheen off with a fine wet n dry, light sanding paper, or scotchbright pad can improve matters.

I like the feel of unfinished wood, but not practical, and some neck manf won't g'tee unless finished.

A wipe of Danish, or other type all as a minimum.

Fender do a lovely satin finish on some models. Right up your street.

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I thought so too. It could have been a lot better had the attitudes been left out and we discussed in a more friendly and open manner.

Shame but that's BC for you.

Dave

On the whole I find BC a pretty laid back place, and that's what makes it disappointing.  I had opinions to share on the matter but by the time I got here, there was far too much weight being thrown around so I couldn't be bothered.  That was also a disappointing angle.

EDIT: the OP appears to have effed off, so I think I'll share some of my thoughts now.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve only got one bass with a painted neck and that’s my Hohner B2A , I’ve played it for a few long sessions and it’s surprisingly not sticky at all, which being painted I thought it would, they are quite rounded but very comfortable 

Ahh, another old trope thrown around like confetti.  SOME people find gloss finished necks (regardless of colour) sticky.  They're probably sweaty so-and-sos, so is it really the bass's fault?  ;) I have dry skin (that needs to be actively looked after, but not to the level of psoraisis or suchlike conditions) and it's like built in talcum powder.  As a result, neck finish never bothered me, regardless of what it is.

• Like 3

I have a heavily lacquered neck on the back of one of my Ibanez basses and I hated it, its still like it, but i found like 2 songs in, my hands had lubed up the back of the neck from sweat enough that I was all good, not the best solution but it worked and the only bass i had for the gig at the time, over time it sorta wore it away in areas that my hand stuck the most and now it plays a lot smoother (which by i mean, my hand doesn't grip to the lacquer as much) a satin or natural finish is my preferred but ill work with what i've got

14 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I thought it was so for men, but I was surprised it's the same for women too.

Spooky. :ph34r:

Does that mean that women's [1] heads get wider when they lie down?

[1] And men's, when they are sufficiently obese

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Yes - your nipples are exactly the same distance apart as your earlobes.

Not just yours, I mean everybody's.

Relatively.

👍

That is arcane knowledge, Ricky. I applaud you 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

So was Basso a duplicate account then? I see his account has been deleted...

Do I win a prize?

I'd say unlikely.  I noticed that he'd joined in 2015, despite only coming out slugging just now.  Grimalkin crashed through the skylight with his dukes up straight away.

Weird why people do that. What's the point ?

Anyhow, i have owned basses with lacquered or painted necks and cant say they ever really bothered me. 

Oddly enough i found my Warwick Thumb NT was bad for my hand sticking on the back of the neck usually into the latter part of a gig. It almost felt like the sweat / dirt from my hand had built up and clogged up the neck. I had to regularly wipe it clean after every 2-3 songs to stop that happening. That was in the days when smoking was allowed in venues so that wont have helped. 

Venues used to hot sticky, manky places in the good ole' days 😂

Dave