Why become a member? ×

Bassists who don't play their own signature basses

Beedster

Tony Butler Vintage P bass, I've never seen him with one in his hands bar the adverts.....nice looking bass though....and I think his usual gigging and recording P has the tone control disabled, the Vintage hasn't? 

tony_butler_2_9c8aba23-9d0a-4943-b5d1-47c2bc4e4207.jpg

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

I've seen Justin Meldal-Johnsen on TV appearances with St Vincent where he was playing either his Fender Signature, mustang or possibly the original '67 the signature is based on—but he did also played a Hofner club bass for a bit of variety. I don't play my JMJs due to them being associated with Mr Meldal Johnsen, but due to them being excellent instruments in their own right.

7 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I know he has used it live but didn't he generally play an Aria the same as Cliffs?

He played an Aria for the the recording of the Garage Days EP, one of Cliff's I believe. An unmistakable tone. It's probably the only time Metallica have had a decent bass presence, but thankfully Jason was duly punished on the next release.

28 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Gene Simmons and Rex Brown, anyone?

Well, OK.  The Thunderbirds probably come out for a song or two...

That is literally what happens 😄

Rex then switches back to Spectors. Not sure if he plays his Warwick signature either.

That said, he's going to be playing it even less now as some European festivals have dropped them from the bill...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2023 at 08:17, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've never understood why Flea doesn't use the same basses live as he does in the studio? Wal and Stingray 5.

I'm guessing... cos Wal filter based preamp is a bit of a devil to adjust on the fly...

Anything in the studio has probably been processed to death...

and I think I read that he liked the carbon necks as they never moved, so on tour, they were consistent with no issues of altering the truss rod or getting action right. They just don't move.

But you know, I read this on the internet so it could be complete b*llocks.

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2023 at 17:56, Doctor J said:

The only time I recall him with an Aria was a pic on the Garage Days sleeve. He had BC Rich with F&J, then ESP, Wal, Bob Rock's NS2 in the studio, Alembic and Sadowsky.

In between Alembic and Sadowsky he had a signature Spector SSD based on their SD model which came and went in the blink of an eye. He may have played it, but not for very long.

He played it between 94-95 and then shelved it. I got to see him with it in 1995 at donnington and as a 10 year old I was blown away and have wanted one since. Unfortunately they are as rare as rocking horse stinky poo and he owns 99% of them. They were the spector j4 j5 and so on. 

On 23/01/2023 at 20:04, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I've seen Justin Meldal-Johnsen on TV appearances with St Vincent where he was playing either his Fender Signature, mustang or possibly the original '67 the signature is based on—but he did also played a Hofner club bass for a bit of variety. I don't play my JMJs due to them being associated with Mr Meldal Johnsen, but due to them being excellent instruments in their own right.

I’ve just bought a JMJ Mustang, and same here, bought because it fits my needs and it’s a great instrument. Although I know of some of the bands/artists he’s worked with I’m not familiar with their material so his name/ the bass being an sig model  had no bearing on my purchase. 

Depends why they endorsed the bass. Maybe it was a business decision and all they needed were some photos for the advertising.

I don't follow signature instruments but, did Sting ever play his? I know that Nathan East and Andrew Gouche play theirs.