Why become a member? ×

Day of sale blues

Beedster

Anyone else notice this? Muct be some form of cognitive dissonance or similar. 

I have a 2000 maple fretless Precision, a real beauty but to be honest, rarely played and only gigged once.

85889CA6-7388-485F-A821-A6B007AF9C96_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.93525d1e08c28e2d0dbd8396418ab9b8.jpeg

I also have an Enfield Fusion fretless, not a real beauty to my eye, but a great bass.

584084678_Enfield1.thumb.jpg.66c337770c6eb18c1db4abe769385624.jpg

I didn't get on with the Enfield at first, so I listed it for sale about two months back and now play it almost every day.

So I decided to withdraw it and list the Precision, and today can't put the bloody Precision down, while I knew I liked it, it now feels like the most amazing bass I've ever owned. 

OK, the solution is obvious (i can hear you screaming it), keep them both. 

So, what would you do good people of Basschat? 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, the obvious answer is, as you have already said, keep them both. However, something must have driven to put them up for sale, what was that? Once you highlight what it is that made to decide to out them, does this still stand and is something that will always be a niggle? If yes, back on the FS pile. If no, but keeping both isn’t really an option, which one will niggle the least? Once you’ve done that, keep the less problematic one. Conversely, stick with your original plan to sell both and wait for the seller’s regret ;) .

• Like 1

Is the question "why have I fallen in love again with the basses that I have put up for sale?"?

Clearly, you bought them because you liked them at the time. So, no surprise that you still like them.

But maybe you no longer need two of them.  It's a hard choice  - the same happened with me, when I showed my dad the Boulder Creek 5 string acoustic bass that I was about to sell... after 10 minutes of playing, it went back in the case, for me to keep.

• Like 1

Give the P to me Chris. That way you’ll truly know if you made a mistake or not. 

All the effort you’ll put in to ask for it back, to no avail, will serve as a useful life lesson. 

I’m your true friend here. You know my address, I’ll print the label.

You’re welcome mate.

St John 

• Haha 8

Been there - I feel your pain. 

Seller's remorse is a known phenomenon,  however so is Nagging Wife's Ear. Which would be worse? 

Personally I'd keep both.  If you sell you'd probably waste the money on bills and sheet.

Or worse, sell then  crave what you sold, and spend years unsuccessfully trying to find the same bass to buy back. I write this from experience. 

Keep them both.

• Like 1

I'm in that position over quite a lot of things I own. I've reached the age where I have all the toys I ever wanted (and then some). Whilst I'm not tripping over stuff (mainly because I have a decent sized attic) and don't need money, I recognise that my excuse for owning much of it - that I grew up poor and had b*gger all - doesn't really cut it any longer. Can't take it with you and all that.

It applies to a lot more than musical instruments and equipment. I've been fortunate and can afford to indulge myself (within reason, obviously). As a result, I've bought a lot of things in recent years simply because I wanted them years ago and couldn't afford them. 

I'm beginning to dip a toe into the murky waters of selling stuff I rarely if ever use. It's hard. I sort through things and put aside those I never use and think I can bear to part with and then the trouble starts. I pick up each item to take photos of it for eBay and it suddenly becomes something I can't live without.

First world problems, eh?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I sold my one, my fretless Ibanez MC940 and my Bravewood Sting replica because I'm done with the tribute thing.

They were all amazing basses and I really loved them but it was time to be done with them

With them gone I have no desire to do the Sting thing (which is good) but I should have kept them in all honesty, I have many other guitars that don't get used but I have kept them

Just keep them mate

• Like 1

I’ve sold almost all the basses and guitars I own and don’t regret any of them. Currently have just four left to go. (Squier P/J, anniversary Jazz, 71 Martin D35, and a US tele). 

My house is tidier, wallet heavier, and domestically happier!

Which reminds me, I should be advertising them soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I'm in that position over quite a lot of things I own. I've reached the age where I have all the toys I ever wanted (and then some). Whilst I'm not tripping over stuff (mainly because I have a decent sized attic) and don't need money, I recognise that my excuse for owning much of it - that I grew up poor and had b*gger all - doesn't really cut it any longer. Can't take it with you and all that.

It applies to a lot more than musical instruments and equipment. I've been fortunate and can afford to indulge myself (within reason, obviously). As a result, I've bought a lot of things in recent years simply because I wanted them years ago and couldn't afford them. 

I'm beginning to dip a toe into the murky waters of selling stuff I rarely if ever use. It's hard. I sort through things and put aside those I never use and think I can bear to part with and then the trouble starts. I pick up each item to take photos of it for eBay and it suddenly becomes something I can't live without.

First world problems, eh?

I can relate to this....except the last paragraph. 

• Like 1

Keep it!
Been there, and bought the t-shirt.

When you then spend time trying to track down the instrument you sold or one very similar, the replacement never quite matches the memory of the original.

If funds and circumstances allow, keep it………..or let me have first dibs on that gorgeous fretless P.😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Beedster said:

So, what would you do good people of Basschat?

Mostly we have a honeymoon period and then it's just a bass.

A really good instrument is one that keeps on getting better as you learn it more - it sounds like you have one in the Enfield. It's not just materially good, it's grown to you.

The Fretless P. How good is it out of 10? if it's good enough keep it, otherwise how much will you loose on selling it and making the beautiful bitsa fretless P you would inevitably make ?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

The Fretless P. How good is it out of 10? if it's good enough keep it, otherwise how much will you loose on selling it and making the beautiful bitsa fretless P you would inevitably make ?

"Can't put the bloody Precision down, while I knew I liked it, it now feels like the most amazing bass I've ever owned."

Sounds like a 10 to me.

Just aesthetically speaking, I prefer the P, if that helps @Beedster choose just one (knowing that he hangs on my every post ;) ).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Mostly we have a honeymoon period and then it's just a bass.

A really good instrument is one that keeps on getting better as you learn it more - it sounds like you have one in the Enfield. It's not just materially good, it's grown to you.

Um, like this Luke :)

F7DCE829-5DE5-452D-BA5E-3DE40B42720D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d60a0709bd22e317b68886e2873f75ba.jpeg

Just started obvs 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As per the Enfield thread, I've put a lovely MIJ 62RI fretted neck on it and it just works, and I'm about to install a J-Retro and a Badass II. I think I prefer the fretted over fretless. 

0CC16CA8-D1E1-4496-8CFA-F9FC4C1B4EB8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.47a79f5326e1733fd28aa629ab26c0d7.jpeg

So, in theory I keep the Enfield as my fretted and the Precision as my fretless and all is good with the world 👍

Giving it some serious thought......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

As per the Enfield thread, I've put a lovely MIJ 62RI fretted neck on it and it just works, and I'm about to install a J-Retro and a Badass II. I think I prefer the fretted over fretless. 

0CC16CA8-D1E1-4496-8CFA-F9FC4C1B4EB8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.47a79f5326e1733fd28aa629ab26c0d7.jpeg

So, in theory I keep the Enfield as my fretted and the Precision as my fretless and all is good with the world 👍

Giving it some serious thought......

In a world that doesn't make a lot of sense these days, this post is a shining beacon of sanity. Sorted, job done, nothing more to see here, move along.

• Thanks 1