Why become a member? ×

Let's Talk About Progressive Rock

Ricky 4000

Just on the subject of prog, a mate took me to see Crimson at the Albert Hall about five years back with the mighty Tony Levin on bass and chapman stick and Mr Fripp in a suit looking like a ticket collector, sat at an upturned, opened packing case with the three drummers ranged a tier below in front. It was fine (they played a bit of Red, my fave KC album after Starless & Bible Black) but it was only when watching his vlogs (called something like 'At home with RF') that I realised why I don't really like most of their music. He insists on keeping his guitars tuned to C and then playing fast but unmelodic arpeggiated passages for 5-10 minutes at a time, like exercises. I know this is serious music and I ought to, you know, make the effort and like it. But I just don't.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kitsto said:

Unless the bagpipes are used by AC/DC.

Nope, no exceptions, you let one through and then you’ve set a precedent. Harsh I know, but it’s for the best.

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Of course. I am reasonable

Really, how much?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Nope, no exceptions, you let one through and then you’ve set a precedent. Harsh I know, but it’s for the best.

Really, how much?

I take your point but AC/DC are an exceptional case. There are other rock and metal bands who have used bagpipes in an unacceptable manner, Korn for example. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Same goes for bag pipes and ukuleles

I agree about the yodelling and the ukuleles but Niteworks and Wolfstone both make very good use of the pipes, albeit in a rock rather than prog setting. 

So, pipes can* be okay.  

*Not Mull of bloody Kintyre though. 

Just now, SteveXFR said:

I take your point but AC/DC are an exceptional case. There are other rock and metal bands who have used bagpipes in an unacceptable manner, Korn for example. 

I maintain my position, there are plenty of of other tracks by AC/DC one can choose from, no exceptions. Remember, if you tolerate this, then yodelling will be next.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Now you're just quoting Manic Street Preachers lyrics

Well, up to a point, more of a paraphrase and they were quoting a propaganda poster from the Spanish civil war era.

Actually, I grew up in a house where yodelling was to be heard emanating from the gramophone, my parents owned a Frank Ifield album that featured it, so I’m a little less sensitive to it and, like @Frank Blank, I find it quite amusing in Focus tunes, a bit of whimsy in otherwise quite ‘serious’ music.

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

OOh, I know this one! All the squares are the same colour, aren't they, and it's just an optical illusion.

Well… they are all grey. Whether you think grey counts as a colour is another question.

1 hour ago, Kitsto said:

Just on the subject of prog, a mate took me to see Crimson at the Albert Hall about five years back with the mighty Tony Levin on bass and chapman stick and Mr Fripp in a suit looking like a ticket collector, sat at an upturned, opened packing case with the three drummers ranged a tier below in front. It was fine (they played a bit of Red, my fave KC album after Starless & Bible Black) but it was only when watching his vlogs (called something like 'At home with RF') that I realised why I don't really like most of their music. He insists on keeping his guitars tuned to C and then playing fast but unmelodic arpeggiated passages for 5-10 minutes at a time, like exercises. I know this is serious music and I ought to, you know, make the effort and like it. But I just don't.  

I saw Crimson at Friars in Aylesbury during the Adrian Belew era when their album Disicpline was out.  Monstrously good gig.  Levin was fab, as you might imagine, but Belew was a madman. Brilliant though.

Just the one drummer, Bill Bruford, natch

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pfretrock said:

Thanks for the backstory Dad, I've often analysed Sandy's lyrics as it is often about someone. Never thought or read of this just enjoyed her voice. Poignant.

These lyrics are by Richard Thomson, as it happens; I agree that Ms Denny had more than just a great voice.
Off the subject, but Martin Lamble was my first inspiration for playing drums, having listened to the eponymous first album. Sober, tasteful; spot on for the genre. A sad loss.

7 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

It's the drone that I hate. What note is that? I reckon God plays that drone in your ears when you die. :/

I'm not a bagpipes aficionado but isn't it basically a very loud recorder with a badly intonated backing track?

• Like 1

An acquaintance of mine once had his bagpipes blown up by the bomb squad in Bath. On his way home  from a night out whilst rather drunk he put them down while he watered the bushes in Queens Square and then forgot to pick them up before staggering home. The next morning in his rush to leave for a climbing trip he forgot all about them but saw the bomb squad had closed the square. 

When he got home and remembered them he went to the police station to see if they had been handed in as lost property. There was good news and bad. They had them but they were a bit blown up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Kitsto said:

Unless the bagpipes are used by AC/DC.

Yes, but maybe Bon is admitting the fact that by using bagpipes it is indeed a "long way to the top", thus exposing a long standing personal existential nightmare over his ability to actually "rock and roll"......

Do I win a prog prize or should I try to explain it in dance or gatefold sleeve art???