Why become a member? ×

Let's Talk About Progressive Rock

Ricky 4000

13 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, I tried to watch/listen to the video, but abandoned it before the half-way point. Ditch water..? Yes, it's about that dull. D'uh. Never mind, back to listening to music. -_-

If you can call One Direction 'music'

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

If you can call One Direction 'music'

Hmm... :friends:

'...

C’est une œuvre à la destinée singulière que la Fantaisie variée pour piano et orchestre, écrite à destination du pianiste Raoul Pugno. Singulière à plus d’un titre : reprise quelque peu après sa création en 1913 (dont à Paris, aux Concerts Lamoureux), puis tombée dans l’oubli ; jusqu’en 2009, où elle est ressuscitée au concert et au disque, déjà avec l’Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France. Et c’est cette année-là, soit trente ans après la disparition de Nadia Boulanger, que l’on découvre dans les papiers personnels de la musicienne l’amour passionné qui la liait au dédicataire de l’œuvre. Une œuvre testament en quelque sorte, puisque Raoul Pugno (1852-1914), pianiste, compositeur et aussi enseignant (au Conservatoire de Paris, avec Nadia Boulanger pour élève), devait décéder peu après, le 3 janvier 1914.

Après une introduction d’orchestre ténébreuse, le piano égrène une série de touches en accord. S’en dégage un thème, « construit d’un chant populaire russe », selon une précision du manuscrit de l’œuvre, thème repris à l’orchestre. S’échelonnent ensuite trois grands épisodes en forme de variations rhapsodiques avec une virtuosité de circonstance et un beau souffle soutenu par l’orchestre. L’esthétique rejoint celle de César Franck (dans ses Variations symphoniques par exemple) ou de Gabriel Fauré, piquée de quelques rudesses à la manière d’un Stravinsky. Autant de compositeurs que Nadia Boulanger avait côtoyés.

...'

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Or just claim that you like "the later stuff". (See: Genesis,

Never!

14 hours ago, Cato said:

I tried to listen to Rush after their excellent performace at the Taylor Hawkins tribute, but I couldn't get used to Geddy's vocals.

It does take a lot of getting used to, but I found the effort worthwhile. TBH, I tend to avoid the ‘70s output where Ged’s voice was the most shrill and have found my Rush niche in the ‘80 - early ‘90s era. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For so many years, it was the love that dare not speak its name so, finally, I can come out into the open and say it;

I like prog. 

There. I’ve said it. 

God, that feels good. 

Er….,

I also like jazz.

Don’t hate me. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

One "thing" we did, I hesitate to call it a song, involved me self making "interesting" low noises on the bass (rickenbacker of course) with the above little gizmo, whilst the singer recited a load of Aliester Crowley malarkey, from an olde leather covered book naturally... 

I was involved in a similar 'thing' in the first band I was in, playing strange guitar effects noises over HP Lovecraft lines recited by the singer and/or drummer - they were intros to songs that had a vague link to Lovecraft-like themes. 😃

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I was involved in a similar 'thing' in the first band I was in, playing strange guitar effects noises over HP Lovecraft lines recited by the singer and/or drummer - they were intros to songs that had a vague link to Lovecraft-like themes. 😃

At least it's not just me then! 👍

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I would say no Daddy.  For reference, here's what i call a bit of fusion.  Could also called be Jazz Fusion i suppose...

Has rather a ring of Nu-Fusion to it, though. Progressive enough, and more than a tinge of Rock. Not enough cowbell, but... Whatever. -_-