Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz bass

nilorius

I own a US Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass, a US 75 Reissue, a Mex 70s reissue, and have owned a MIJ Geddy Lee and a Mex Roadworn. 

My favourite is my MIJ 60s style reissue, that I put together from parts off Ebay. It's got a lot of character, plays great and is fitted with a John East Retro pre amp.

I have a pair of stunning Power Jazz Bass Specials, which actually have a PJ pickup configuration. Fender Japan were pumping out a few models in "the series"  in the 80's (I guess) and there was a Jazz model called the JB-555 which I am guessing would have had the exact same necks as the Jazz Bass Specials, so, I'd be all over one of those.

Fender-JB-555-1-683x1024.jpg

https://bassbros.co.uk/sold-basses/1984-fender-japan-jb-555-jazz-bass-boxer/

I also want a fretless Jazz Bass Special

• Like 1

A fretted Jaco Artist. 

I know you fretted a fretless Jaco but Fender made a few factory fretted versions. I tried one in a shop many years ago but couldn't afford it at the time unfortunately. 

Otherwise, I'll have a nice 70s reissue with a fat neck please if you're buying. 😉

My main is a late 90s MIA jazz.

I have dropped Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs a bad donkey bridge and a refin in LPB metallic.

I recently added a lusithand single NFP jazzplate preamp to it and that thing is the business!! 

20221125_173421.thumb.jpg.de38a073c97e8a4899d019b7de4919dc.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lidl e said:

My main is a late 90s MIA jazz.

I have dropped Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs a bad donkey bridge and a refin in LPB metallic.

I recently added a lusithand single NFP jazzplate preamp to it and that thing is the business!! 

20221125_173421.thumb.jpg.de38a073c97e8a4899d019b7de4919dc.jpg

I see what you did. Nice co-ordination happening there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Neither the image, nor the string count of a 4-string Fender bass suits any of the musical projects I am currently (and likely to be in the future) involved with.

Bar maybe 80s hair metal, i can't imagine any genre where a jazz bass wouldn't fit the image.

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But they are so boring... IMO the only way to be more boring than having a Jazz would be to have a Precision.

i'm big into pointy basses, old ibanez and odd basses in general, but i always find a jazz bass to be the most sexxy of alloy shapes.

i've got a cool p-style i've built but i've never had an actual fender P and for the first time in all my playing, i'm gassing for one

• Like 1

I have a USA one from 2006, which I love dearly. All standard, with the S1 switch, I can't think why I would change anything; it does the job very well. and is probably my most gigged bass.

I have a couple of Precisions and a Sadowsky Tesco Express fiver, which is my main squeeze with the current band, however the Jazz is the one I wouldn't part with.

17 minutes ago, lidl e said:

i'm big into pointy basses, old ibanez and odd basses in general, but i always find a jazz bass to be the most sexxy of alloy shapes.

I briefly owned a Squier VM fretless Jazz when I was getting into playing fretless bass almost 20 years ago. I hated pretty much everything about it. I didn't sound as good or play as well as the £70 Wesley Acrylic defretted bass that it was supposed to replace; and when used standing up with it on a strap I couldn't properly reach the G-String machine head, although I had no problems with the much larger Overwater Original. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lonestar said:

I have a couple of Precisions and a Sadowsky Tesco Express fiver, which is my main squeeze with the current band, however the Jazz is the one I wouldn't part with.

How do you find the Sadowsky (and I'm glad I'm not the only one whose brain immediately went to Tesco)? I keep veering between wanting one and thinking I should save up for a second-hand Japanese one (or go for the one brand new one still on sale - not saying where though!), or go a different route entirely.

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Neither the image, nor the string count of a 4-string Fender bass suits any of the musical projects I am currently (and likely to be in the future) involved with.

So why post on a very specific thread about Fender Jazz basses?? 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

You know, I think we have all got the idea now, you're a real cool guy who likes stuff that is edgy.  But do you really have to keep p!ssing on everyone's chips just to keep telling us?  You've hijacked a perfectly innocent thread to once again tell us you find Fenders boring.  You know a lot of people, including me, like them so can't you just leave us alone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I’ve got quite a few fender jazzes various colours and types , the one I’d say is a favourite is a 2014 Olympic white US one, but very close is a jazz elite, both very different , it took me a while to get used to the elite active controls but now I know the sweet spots , and build wise I think you would struggle to get a better quality than the elite 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

My faves are the 2013-16 Fender US Standards.

I've recently got a sunburst 2015 US Std with the CS p/ups for a particular project. Playing it yesterday I was struck by how good it sounds. Probably the only Fender I have ever owned that I have left completely stock. 

I've also got a 2009 US Std (with Bart p/ups), a really nice Xotic active 4 string Jazz, a matching 5 string Xotic, not to mention a 70s P bass (Bart p/up & Badass bridge). I suppose that you could say that I have gone full circle and gone back to Fender / Fender type basses, whereas for many years I was using a succession of different active basses (basically, anything that didn't look like a Fender). 

Edited by peteb