Why become a member? ×

DHL failed delivery

bassist_lewis

Some of the stories here have all the hallmarks of people having to fulfil "performance targets" or else... which is why I detest them because they distort behaviours. Instead of doing what is right or best, people do whatever it takes to tick the box. It's stupid. 

• Like 3

Last year I ordered a P bass from Andertons, the order details said it was to be delivered by DHL

I'd ordered on a friday afternoon so I wasn't expecting it before the following Monday, anyway Monday arrives - nothing, tracking info tells me its in Bristol depot ready for delivery, ok fair enough a day later is no problem, Tuesday - nothing, checks tracking still in Bristol Depot, phoned DHL, woman on phone say's delivery tomorrow definitely, Wednesday arrives - nothing! Checks tracking which states delivery attempt made, customer not at home, item returned to depot. I'd been in all day, they never came here at all, no knocks on the door or a card left. Phoned them up again, asked to speak to the depot manager, told him that they said they,d tried to deliver when they hadn't, his excuse was "that the driver was probably running late running late and I was too far oit of the way" I said "Great job, so when will I get my package which,was meant to be next day delivery?" He said "By Friday" it came the following Tuesday. I gave Andertons the heads up about DHL's service, they said I'm not the first customer to bring their poor work ethics to their attention and that they would be looking into it.

• Like 1

DHL seem to be in a state of complete chaos.

I ordered a part for my car back in November, I received it yesterday. I picked it up from one of their service/pick up points. Even that was a farce. The confirmation code I was emailed failed to work. Thankfully, the member of staff allowed me to take the parcel and even said she was sick to death with DHL.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, pst62 said:

Last year I ordered a P bass from Andertons, the order details said it was to be delivered by DHL

I'd ordered on a friday afternoon so I wasn't expecting it before the following Monday, anyway Monday arrives - nothing, tracking info tells me its in Bristol depot ready for delivery, ok fair enough a day later is no problem, Tuesday - nothing, checks tracking still in Bristol Depot, phoned DHL, woman on phone say's delivery tomorrow definitely, Wednesday arrives - nothing! Checks tracking which states delivery attempt made, customer not at home, item returned to depot. I'd been in all day, they never came here at all, no knocks on the door or a card left. Phoned them up again, asked to speak to the depot manager, told him that they said they,d tried to deliver when they hadn't, his excuse was "that the driver was probably running late running late and I was too far oit of the way" I said "Great job, so when will I get my package which,was meant to be next day delivery?" He said "By Friday" it came the following Tuesday. I gave Andertons the heads up about DHL's service, they said I'm not the first customer to bring their poor work ethics to their attention and that they would be looking into it.

Last time I ordered from Anderton's (a month or 2 ago) it was delivered by DPD. I wonder if they switched courier because of complaints...

Update on my situation: I put in a claim through PayPal and within 24 hours had a response for the seller saying they had raised a complaint with DHL, and earlier today I received an email saying DHL were going to contact the driver to find out where it ended up. Fingers crossed!

• Like 5

The wife bought me a HB from Thomman for xmas. DHL was doing the delivery and it landed in their Cambuslang depot on the 24th with a delivery to me date of the 28th.

28th - no show, delivery was delayed so would be done next working day

29th - sod all, not even a delivery update

30th - I ended up calling them to be told by the automated service that it was going to be loaded on the van that day. Called up again at 3 pm to get the same message.

So by now I know it ain`t happening so on the tracking page I chose the I will collect from their depot section. So all good.

As they opened at 8am and the depot is only up the motorway, I get there for just after 8. After 10 mins ringing the bell, a young lady appears and takes my tracking number and goes off to get it. It`s a large box with Thomman on it I explain. About 15 mins later, she comes back unable to locate it. I give her the saga so she decides to try one last time and this time returns with the guitar. It had been put on the van that delivers to my area but luckily she got the guy just before he left the depot.

They are a bunch of buffoons who cannot keep up with the amount of work they seem to take on. They are always on the job sites trying to employ more drivers but sod working for them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Last time I ordered from Anderton's (a month or 2 ago) it was delivered by DPD. I wonder if they switched courier because of complaints...

I'd like to think so, I've since had an Andertons delivery by DPD too. and IIRC back in 2018 my Vintage Pro Thunderbird came from them via UPS.

To be fair to DHL; my experience was good with them this week.   I ordered an item on eBay from Spain on Monday, they told me to expect it Thursday via DHL.   On Thursday the DHL driver phoned me ahead of delivery, and patiently talked me through how to pay the duty online before delivery.    Turned up 20 mins or so later, nice guy, good service in this instance anyway.  👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

The wife bought me a HB from Thomman for xmas. DHL was doing the delivery and it landed in their Cambuslang depot on the 24th with a delivery to me date of the 28th.

28th - no show, delivery was delayed so would be done next working day

29th - sod all, not even a delivery update

30th - I ended up calling them to be told by the automated service that it was going to be loaded on the van that day. Called up again at 3 pm to get the same message.

So by now I know it ain`t happening so on the tracking page I chose the I will collect from their depot section. So all good.

As they opened at 8am and the depot is only up the motorway, I get there for just after 8. After 10 mins ringing the bell, a young lady appears and takes my tracking number and goes off to get it. It`s a large box with Thomman on it I explain. About 15 mins later, she comes back unable to locate it. I give her the saga so she decides to try one last time and this time returns with the guitar. It had been put on the van that delivers to my area but luckily she got the guy just before he left the depot.

They are a bunch of buffoons who cannot keep up with the amount of work they seem to take on. They are always on the job sites trying to employ more drivers but sod working for them.

I worked for a courier company that used DHL for overseas shipping 30 years ago.

They were always trouble laden and in my view have always been the bottom if the pile as far as courier companies go.

Just so unprofessional.

I find DPD to be always very effective.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2023 at 16:39, Ralf1e said:

I worked for a courier company that used DHL for overseas shipping 30 years ago.

They were always trouble laden and in my view have always been the bottom if the pile as far as courier companies go.

Just so unprofessional.

I find DPD to be always very effective.

We use DHL by default where I work. Probably about 20 items in and similar number out each day. Most of the incoming are from the far east, most of the outgoing are to UK & the rest of Europe.

Rarely have any issues, almost never lost anything either. Their systems are better that their main rivals ( UPS & Fedex ) which makes our life much easier. They seem to have adapted quite well to Brexit too and understand the customs issues shipping to different countries around the world.

We use them for items of all value, from a few pounds up to close to 7 figures ( we have out own insurance cover, don't use theirs )

This might all be because we spend £250k per year with them ( most of the incoming is paid for by us ).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this forum and just came across this post about DHL's failed delivery. It's frustrating to hear about people being let down by delivery services, especially when it's due to a company's focus on meeting performance targets rather than providing good service. On a positive note, have any of you tried using DHL's Automated Shipping Solution for E-commerce? I've heard they offer a dhl shopify integration, which could be helpful for online sellers. But I'm curious to know if anyone has had any experiences with it - good or bad.

Edited by Shamshoo

For the third time in as many days, my parcel from Thomann got out for delivery only to be returned to depot at the end of the day. 

and oh, DHL broke the packaging but “managed to fix it”, that is according to the customer service I have been talking to. 😡

Edited by ordep

It's such a lottery these days.  I hold my breath no matter who the delivery service is.

Ordered a dual bass case from Gear4music on the 1st may, despatched on the 1st may via DHL, received on 2nd may, so it wasnt late, had delivery update from DHL via text, giving approx 2 hour window and it arrived in that window, the packaging was faultless and undamaged, and the driver rang my bell.

I had to have a  lay down with my crack pipe and a cuppa

• Haha 4

I had the exact same scenario with a customer who bought some of my artwork. I sent it signed for, via our friends at the Royal Mail. They delivered it and somebody signed for it, but it wasn’t my customer or his neighbours, and it was never seen again. Royal Mail didn’t want to know.

I bought something from the Netherlands on 10th March which was couriered via DHL.

The online tracking shows that it cleared customs on 15th March and has shown as 'Planning being made' after 'Departure from the international sorting center'  ever since. (today is 5th May)

I managed to get a Paypal refund after starting a dispute for non-delivery.

The vendor was extremely reluctant and only refunded after a nasty trustpilot review.

I wonder if my purchase will ever arrive?

Edited by Twigman

Update: DHL decided that they will just return the item to thomann as they “cannot gain access to the property” which is bs as our front door is just a few steps from the public road and they have delivered to us several times before. So I immediately called CS, only to be passed around then got cut off. Tried online chat, told the agent that I will just pick it up from the depot as soon as I can, and was promised that it will be tagged as for collection and will be ready for me to collect. Drove 45 mins, and what do you know, it is on its way to Germany already. 

• Sad 2

Outrageous!!

Parcelforce on the other hand get loads of stick for their poor performance yet the last three 48 hours delivery transactions have arrived safely in 24 hours. 

You can't trust any of them or their reputations. Hit and Miss - booked it and start to pray.

1 hour ago, ordep said:

Update: DHL decided that they will just return the item to thomann as they “cannot gain access to the property” which is bs as our front door is just a few steps from the public road and they have delivered to us several times before. So I immediately called CS, only to be passed around then got cut off. Tried online chat, told the agent that I will just pick it up from the depot as soon as I can, and was promised that it will be tagged as for collection and will be ready for me to collect. Drove 45 mins, and what do you know, it is on its way to Germany already. 

They are Chinee. They come from whan king

I've had numerous terrible experiences with DHL, probably 50% of the time they just drive up to the house, wait a minute, then leave so their tracker shows 'they tried to deliver'. Its ridiculous. 

To balance the equation, I bought a Warwick Alien 6 string acoustic bass from Richtone a week ago and from the point I paid to the point I was playing it was exactly 19 hours. Delivered by DHL, so that particular delivery driver was spot on! If only they were all like that.