Why become a member? ×

Headphones

Gary Bloomfield

I’ve just bought a pair of Beyer DT990s which are a step up from the previous cheap closed-back headphones I was using. I definitely prefer open back headphones.

One thing to watch with studio quality headphones is their resistance (250 ohms in the case of the DT990s) as some consumer devices may struggle to drive them at sufficient volume. Having said that, the headphone output on my Fender Rumble is more than adequate and capable of delivering levels that are probably too loud to be sensible. 

15 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve had so many headphones, I like my Dre studio beats for listening to music but I wouldn’t say they are good for learning basslines as I think the bass is boosted

Exactly. For playing bass I like the Beyers as they sound exactly like my recorded bass does but they don’t flatter music via Spotify etc. For that I like my Grado SR60 or if there’s anyone nearby (the grados are nearly as loud from the outside as the inside!) my Bose AE2W. 

On impedance- my friend tried my 80ohm cans and his laptop was ok but his iPhone with lightning converter at full volume didn’t provide enough power for satisfactory volume. 

• Like 1

Just now, ped said:

Exactly. For playing bass I like the Beyers as they sound exactly like my recorded bass does but they don’t flatter music via Spotify etc. For that I like my Grado SR60 or if there’s anyone nearby (the grados are nearly as loud from the outside as the inside!) my Bose AE2W. 

On impedance- my friend tried my 80ohm cans and his laptop was ok but his iPhone with lightning converter at full volume didn’t provide enough power for satisfactory volume. 

Also when playing bass along with Spotify etc I don’t want too much bass from the track otherwise everything gets quite ‘crowded’. The Beyers have a lovely open soundstage which sounds just like plying in a mix. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Sorry if I’ve missed it but is there any ones in particular 

I like the DT770 Pro but @bubinga5mentioned the open back version which are probably even better but I need a bit of isolation so I don’t hear my Backbeat rumbling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found the AKG K52 more than good enough low cost, 2.5m lead, 32ohm and closed back all for under £50.

I use these with an Ashdown Tone Pocket and the combined mp3 files and bass do seem to integrate into a decent soundstage for practicing.

4 hours ago, Velarian said:

I’ve just bought a pair of Beyer DT990s which are a step up from the previous cheap closed-back headphones I was using. I definitely prefer open back headphones.

One thing to watch with studio quality headphones is their resistance (250 ohms in the case of the DT990s) as some consumer devices may struggle to drive them at sufficient volume. Having said that, the headphone output on my Fender Rumble is more than adequate and capable of delivering levels that are probably too loud to be sensible. 

I have some that are 600Ohm :( the 2021- MacBook Pro's can drive them providing you don't mind it being quite quiet. 
I ended up buying a Behringer mini mixing desk as it was the cheapest way to get something with the power to drive them!

4 hours ago, ped said:

Quite quoted myself lol 🤴

u ok hun? 

On 30/11/2022 at 23:15, ped said:

You'll have to go wired as there's too much latency on Bluetooth. Your practice amp should have a headphone jack.

If you want a set that give a very honest and natural bass sound then I'd recommend Beyerdynamic DT770pro. They're really comfortable (big ear cups that cover your whole ear and velour pads which aren't hot and sweaty like some pleather types), light and the headband isn't too tight. Reasonably priced too!

Yep. I bought them after you suggested them in one of the other headphone threads. They have been absolutely excellent 🖖.

• Like 1

You can get wireless headphones which aren't Bluetooth. I have a pair - Sennheiser HDR 120 II which I think have been replaced by the RS120. However, there is a compressor or automatic gain control (AGC) which adjusts the volume down, presumably to preserve one's hearing, and that does seem a bit strange. They're £100 which is expensive in my frame of reference (but not in @ped's, who is evidently rolling in it), but available second hand for half that.

Beyer Dynamic offer an extension cable if the bult-in cable is not long enough. Check out the subtle differences between the ordinary DT range and the DT Pro range. I use the ordinary "DT880 Edition". The Pro range has an slight upward bias in the treble which is intended, so they say, for use in music monitoring / studio work.

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/headphones-headsets.html

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/kopfhorer-verlangerungskabel.html

14 hours ago, tauzero said:

You can get wireless headphones which aren't Bluetooth. I have a pair - Sennheiser HDR 120 II which I think have been replaced by the RS120. However, there is a compressor or automatic gain control (AGC) which adjusts the volume down, presumably to preserve one's hearing, and that does seem a bit strange. They're £100 which is expensive in my frame of reference (but not in @ped's, who is evidently rolling in it), but available second hand for half that.

Am I?

I use a basic pair of Sony headphones plugged into a Blackstar Bass Headphone amp. This plugs straight into the bass’s Jack outputs so no need to use your practice amp. It also has a fairly crude range of rhythm tracks and an auxiliary so you can plug MP3/ phone or whatever your source of music is.  Cheap is h and effective solution.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Correction

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection but... what would the ideal ohmage be for headphones that will be used for 'mixed' application; laptop, PC, hifi system?  Some of these come in 32/250/600.

I'm looking to get a set as it will be easier than plugging in my KZ buds (+ Mrs Hunt can use them on her home office PC) and I'm not looking at top end, more budget headphones in the £50 range such as AKG K52/92. 

32 Ohm is easier to drive from most sources. I hear that cans with higher ohms have more detail but I'm not sure I've ever heard the same set with different Ohms to tell them apart!

I've got a set of K92s. They're quite coloured, but once I got used to that, they're perfectly good headphones. Very comfortable too as a glasses wearer!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Sorry for the thread resurrection but... what would the ideal ohmage be for headphones that will be used for 'mixed' application; laptop, PC, hifi system?  Some of these come in 32/250/600.

I'm looking to get a set as it will be easier than plugging in my KZ buds (+ Mrs Hunt can use them on her home office PC) and I'm not looking at top end, more budget headphones in the £50 range such as AKG K52/92. 

I bought some Superlux HD668B's after people on here seemed quite complimentary about them.

They're pretty good, although I haven't used them for a while.

32ohm headphones would work for most use cases. Phones, tablets, laptops, hi-fi etc.

I recently bought some Beyer Dynamic DT990s which are 250ohm and whilst they do work for general use the output level is generally set at 70-90%. I use a separate headphone amp connected to my audio interface for more critical applications. I believe 600 ohm units would generally be for studio use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Velarian said:

32ohm headphones would work for most use cases. Phones, tablets, laptops, hi-fi etc.

I recently bought some Beyer Dynamic DT990s which are 250ohm and whilst they do work for general use the output level is generally set at 70-90%. I use a separate headphone amp connected to my audio interface for more critical applications. I believe 600 ohm units would generally be for studio use. 

I have 600ohm ones.

sounds lovely, pain in the derrière to drive 

9 minutes ago, Velarian said:

What are you using to drive the 600s?

2021 onwards MacBook Pro will do at low level

and then I looked at different headphone amps but none of them seemed to have had enough power so I bought a mini behringer mixing desk that does! 

• Like 1