Why become a member? ×

Headphones

Gary Bloomfield

You'll have to go wired as there's too much latency on Bluetooth. Your practice amp should have a headphone jack.

If you want a set that give a very honest and natural bass sound then I'd recommend Beyerdynamic DT770pro. They're really comfortable (big ear cups that cover your whole ear and velour pads which aren't hot and sweaty like some pleather types), light and the headband isn't too tight. Reasonably priced too!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ped said:

You'll have to go wired as there's too much latency on Bluetooth.

I tried the Ashdown Meters and had this issue, totally unusable for playing an instrument for me. I also had the issue wired, which I can only assume is down to processing and applying of an EQ.

2 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Question @ped @PaulThePlug why does lag/latency matter when using headphones for practice? Surely the delay isn't critical In this application, unlike when playing along with others?

Trust me, you will notice the lag, and it will be a major distraction. I think some Bluetooth codecs offer low latency. AptX from a quick Google says it's less than 40 milliseconds. That's still too much in my book.

I think things like laptops measure the latency for Bluetooth and delay things like videos so they sync up with the audio. If they didn't you'd know all about it!

5 minutes ago, chyc said:

Trust me, you will notice the lag, and it will be a major distraction. I think some Bluetooth codecs offer low latency. AptX from a quick Google says it's less than 40 milliseconds. That's still too much in my book.

I think things like laptops measure the latency for Bluetooth and delay things like videos so they sync up with the audio. If they didn't you'd know all about it!

Of course, I'm forgetting Gary is putting his bass back through the headphones. Schoolboy error here (I always play unplugged so was only considering the signal from the music source).

6 hours ago, chyc said:

Sound travels at roughly 340 m/s, so a 40 millisecond lag is like having your amp fifteen metres away. If you have some long cables and a big room or a dry day, you could try this out. 

22 hours ago, ped said:

You'll have to go wired as there's too much latency on Bluetooth. Your practice amp should have a headphone jack.

If you want a set that give a very honest and natural bass sound then I'd recommend Beyerdynamic DT770pro. They're really comfortable (big ear cups that cover your whole ear and velour pads which aren't hot and sweaty like some pleather types), light and the headband isn't too tight. Reasonably priced too!

Cheers Ped. Never even thought about this . Wired it is then  longest lead i can find 

3 minutes ago, Gary Bloomfield said:

Cheers Ped. Never even thought about this . Wired it is then  longest lead i can find 

Yeah maybe one day consumer level headphones will have zero latency like the boss WAZA air system. The Beyers that I mentioned above come with a very long and nice quality (non tangly) cable. 

You could also use in ears with a long extension cable. Years ago, I was in a band that needed IEMs, so had had a 20ft planet waves one taped to my lead so it ended at the right point where my cable went through my strap. It was a really good solution for me and kept things neat and tidy. If I paired that with my current KZ ZX10 IEMs, I'd have been a very happy bunny. 

Might even need to resurrect the idea for practice now. I do still have that cable...

This topic again and once more. Should there be a sticky here, maybe?

Go to a store that has several models. Use some music you know very well. Take the priciest headphones and start listening. Come down the price level step by step, and the first time you hear a difference (except volume), you need to step back one level upwards. There you are. There you have your headphones.

I have a pair of special hifi headphones which response surely is everything but flat. But they are ergonomic, because they fit me, and me only. I would not suggest to buy something that fits me: you need to find the ones you want to wear on a daily basis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, itu said:

This topic again and once more. Should there be a sticky here, maybe?

Go to a store that has several models. Use some music you know very well. Take the priciest headphones and start listening. Come down the price level step by step, and the first time you hear a difference (except volume), you need to step back one level upwards. There you are. There you have your headphones.

I have a pair of special hifi headphones which response surely is everything but flat. But they are ergonomic, because they fit me, and me only. I would not suggest to buy something that fits me: you need to find the ones you want to wear on a daily basis.

That would be amazing in theory but finding somewhere with a number of similar high end types in stock is nigh on impossible. If shops do have headphones they tend to be lower to mid range and their idea of high end are Beats by ‘Dr’ Dre

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A friend at work wanted to buy some decent headphones so the only way he could do that was to ask everyone to bring theirs in. We did a bit shootout and he ended up buying the Beyers. We did say that a high end headphone shop (‘Headphone House’) would be a great business. You could run it from a van! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ped said:

A friend at work wanted to buy some decent headphones so the only way he could do that was to ask everyone to bring theirs in. We did a bit shootout and he ended up buying the Beyers. We did say that a high end headphone shop (‘Headphone House’) would be a great business. You could run it from a van! 

The Transducer Testing Transit 

Edited by LukeFRC
Added even more wit!
  • Haha 1