Why become a member? ×

What on earth?

BassFace1991

I still can't believe (actually, sadly I can :( ) the amount of luddite hate that ERBs get on Farcebook whenever a pic of one is posted in a bass group. It amuses me that everyone who posts "that's not a bass it's a harp" or "just get a piano" or "Jaco only needed 4" seems to think they're the first ever to say it. Still, at least by publicising their bass bigotry it makes it easy to know which idiots to block. 

ERBs are very much not my cup of darjeeling, but I take my hat off to anyone who makes music with one. I like to see boundaries being pushed. Although only using 2 strings seems like a weird waste!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

When I was playing Dad-rock covers I could have got away with a 2 string bass tuned to E and A for most of the songs. I once took my Atlansia Solitaire single string fretless bass to a practice just to see how useful it was in a "real-world" situation. IIRC the fretless aspect was more of a drawback than the fact it only had a single string.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always thought ZZTop were a band that included a hefty dollop of humour in their act. Anyone remember the furry guitars they used to play or listened to their lyrics (eg: Pearl Necklace!!)? 🤣 For me they always seemed to take their music seriously but not themselves. Anyone notice the barrels on the front of Frank Beards kit? My guessing is they're not there for the nuances of bourbon infused tonewood 🤣🤣

@Rich I know what you mean about some of the "luddite hate" and there are certain key subjects or phrases which trigger the same predictable responses from the same people.....ZZZZzzzzzzz 💤😴 Trigger words and phrases include (but not limited to)  ERB's, slapping, tapping, anything above the 5th fret, non-Fender basses, basses without a tort guard, any developments in bass guitar design since 1968, heft, valve watts, class D, tone woods.....🤣🤣 But I guess thats a whole controversial thread on its own!

Anyway, I've now clambered down from my soapbox and back to the video.....always liked a bit of "You Got Me Under Pressure" 👍

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 3