Why become a member? ×

Thomann Experience?

JosephMartyn

I have used them few times over the years and never had an issue and its always been hassle free.  From what you read on forums if there are issues their customer service is great and things get sorted quickly.

*Edit

I think I was too quick to reply, I just noticed another discussion on here of all the horror stories. You might want to read that.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/471000-thomann-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-a-returns-saga/

Edited by bassbora
  • Like 1

Most of the time their service is great, although I have always found it somewhat on the slow side (even before the UK left the EU). 

However note that Thomann have form for sending out returned items as "new" and getting stuff back to them because it is faulty etc. has always IME been less straight-forward than it should be and has got noticeably worse since 2021. Until they have the UK returns process sorted out (whereby they always offer the option for DHL to pick it up direct from the customer rather than going through one of the "drop-off" points) I don't think I'd want to chance it buying anything large from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbora said:

I have used them few times over the years and never had an issue and its always been hassle free.  From what you read on forums if there are issues their customer service is great and things get sorted quickly.

*Edit

I think I was too quick to reply, I just noticed another discussion on here of all the horror stories. You might want to read that.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/471000-thomann-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-a-returns-saga/

I may have read this too late! Possibly history about to repeat itself...my order is on it's way! Fingers are very tightly crossed!!!

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Most of the time their service is great, although I have always found it somewhat on the slow side (even before the UK left the EU). 

However note that Thomann have form for sending out returned items as "new" and getting stuff back to them because it is faulty etc. has always IME been less straight-forward than it should be and has got noticeably worse since 2021. Until they have the UK returns process sorted out (whereby they always offer the option for DHL to pick it up direct from the customer rather than going through one of the "drop-off" points) I don't think I'd want to chance it buying anything large from them.

Good info! I took a punt and now hoping for the best! Wish me luck!!!

My history of online purchases from the usual players in the U.K. has been plagued by damaged faulty or B stock sent in place of new.

The only advantage is being in the U.K. they are easy to deal with and return goods. Some are worse than others… PMT in particular are poor in this aspect and found GAK to be a lot better in what you receive 

I wouldn’t purchase overseas based on the risk or damaged goods on arrival 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JosephMartyn said:

Has anyone bought a guitar from Thomann before?

I have, at least 12 times.

Never had any problems. Delivery to Scotland averaged 3 to 4 days from placing order.

Returned a pedal once, arranged the return via email.  Thomann's customer service is run like a call centre, staff have a procedure to follow and limited info.

Start asking questions outwith the procedure and the system stalls, stick to the basics " I want to return this" .

One other thing, they are not too interested in partial refunds, return for replacement or full refund suits their business model better.

• Like 2

Had trouble with an unopened return...

I changed my mind on colour and ordered another...

Problem was with DHL, return was via a UK holding house... Refund is meant to be when they receive and check the item.

I explained that i never opened the box, and delay was DHL etc. out or my hands, to be fair not their issue either but they refunded me.

Email exchange was all good.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JosephMartyn said:

This is reassuring! :)

Reassuring mostly for those ordering from Bulgaria, probably. Not much of a comparison with the UK. I order stuff in France, and have never had any issues. I'm not sure that the UK can be compared, really. Just sayin'. :friends:

• Like 1

I've bought 4 guitars/basses from Thomann over the last couple of years, without any problems. 

There is the old saying that an unhappy customer is more likely to share their experience, but that's not to dismiss their concerns.

I think with any high volume organisation, there will always be a few problems, but as a %age of total sales, it's probably quite small.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

I've bought 4 guitars/basses from Thomann over the last couple of years, without any problems. 

There is the old saying that an unhappy customer is more likely to share their experience, but that's not to dismiss their concerns.

I think with any high volume organisation, there will always be a few problems, but as a %age of total sales, it's probably quite small.

Wise words! I'll let folk know how it all turns out 😁

14 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

One other thing, they are not too interested in partial refunds, return for replacement or full refund suits their business model better.

Pre-Brexit I bought loads of stuff, including my band's PA.  The only time I ever had a prioblem was trying to do this ^^ so my fault, really.

Post Brexit - how does the whole VAT thing work now with returns?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Pre-Brexit I bought loads of stuff, including my band's PA.  The only time I ever had a prioblem was trying to do this ^^ so my fault, really.

Post Brexit - how does the whole VAT thing work now with returns?

Thomann sort all paperwork, just like ordering from the UK really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paul S said:

So they just refund you once they have it back, just like before?  That is excellent news.

Yeah they handle everything.

A few years ago I sent a defective item back to China and had to fill all the forms in to reclaim my import duty etc, was a PITA due to how incompetent our government are. Did the same form 3 times as they lost them twice along with evidence of the return (all sent signed for) and eventually got a call from them on a Saturday as for some reason they thought I was trying to claim it back on an item I had kept. Put me off importing expensive items from anywhere due to the hassle, make an exception for Thomann though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1