Why become a member? ×

Leads and Patch Cables

Maxcat

Collective knowledge request. I’m in need of some new cables/leads and I’m wondering if there is someone out there that took over the mantle of “Best cables in Town” from the one and only marvellous OBBM. All my stuff was made by Dave back in the day but because they were such good quality, they’ve only just started to wear.Anyone got any recommendations for quality cabling? Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

There will be many, and generally using the same components. ClearTone cables are such a manufacturer. Link here: ClearTone Cables. Welcome to award-session.com ClearTone Cables

Beat me to it Steve. I’ve had ClearTone cables for years and they’re still going strong.

As others have pointed out, you can’t go wrong with leads featuring Neutrik 

connectors and cabling such as Van Damme. 

• Like 2

The last cable I had made for me was a totally bulletproof one by OBBM. These days I make all my own leads & patch cables -- I really enjoy soldering and find it therapeutic, maybe** I'm weird :lol: -- but I'll be following this thread with interest for recommendations.

** yes, I know, there's no 'maybe' about it :crazy:

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

The last cable I had made for me was a totally bulletproof one by OBBM. These days I make all my own leads & patch cables -- I really enjoy soldering and find it therapeutic, maybe I'm weird :lol: -- but I'll be following this thread with interest for recommendations.

I rewired my entire studio after changing over to UAD2 hardware from Focusrite, the only looms I didn't make up were the D-subs from the A16, which came with the unit second hand, but I did clip all the ends and rewire XLR and TRS for the appropriate inputs and outputs, as you say, there's something very therapeutic about it as long a s you have a decent solder station.

Don't think I'd care to get into an EDAC though...

• Haha 1

i have a whirlwind lead " the leader" going right back from the 80s, i still use it to day,

in that time i have got good leads for my studio like "Reference cables" used live and studio by Nile Rodgers.

http://www.referencelaboratory.com/web/index.php?mode=home&lang=en

great leads no doubt but i cant hear the diff between these and my whirlwind,

and the whirlwind i think is more durable it never Twists, where as the Reference cable is very soft and if not coiled right will twist.

also another lead i have had for a long time now and never seen another is a "Monteray" thats stood the test of time.

and my VTG audio from the usa but you never seem to hear or see anything from them now,

wiring my studio patchbays iv been using Van Damme silver core.

and for live pa stuff i got a shed full of evolution and proell livewire, the live wires have a lifetime guarentee, not bad for a lead thats so cheap, i have had a few go down but they do get heavy used.

loads of the cheaper leads i have used over the years, you find the copper earth and brading starting to go black and rotting.

but not my whirlwinds the reference the monteray or the VTG.

Now... my pet hate 😡... when guys in the band dont coil the leads right and chuck them in the flight case, one backing girl singer got quite offended when i told her not to knot them, in the end i got so fed up of telling her and showing her i told her just to leave them alone, GGUUUURRRR

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.b7b6fceaaeddea0aab7f4188fd252583.JPG

Edited by funkgod

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

In lieu of obbm, the last time I needed leads (short XLRs because I was fed up of hiding 3-5 metre ones when the connection was less than a metre away) I used https://www.designacable.com/

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

There's also Lynx - https://custom-lynx.co.uk/ who I've had a few cables from when I was feeling lazy or didn't have the plugs or cable to hand.

I've used both of these for a variety of different cables. Both are very good and reasonably priced.

10 hours ago, stevie said:

Have you had a word with @Chienmortbb on here? I believe he's taken over from OBBM. He certainly makes some very nice cables at reasonable prices.

Another vote for @Chienmortbb.

I've also used Custom Lynx and Deignacable and can't fault them but I recently dropped him a line enquiring about a 10 metre XLR cable and he was around £5 cheaper than the above and was using the same quality components (Neutrik jacks and Sommer cable).

2 hours ago, Maxcat said:

Thanks all. Great information and some really useful options. Time to get spending. Cheers.

As some have said, I bought most of Dave/OBBM's stock when he retired and have been making cables for folks on here ever since. Happy to quote for you. I will soon have a website running, but in the meantime just DM me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

As some have said, I bought most of Dave/OBBM's stock when he retired and have been making cables for folks on here ever since. Happy to quote for you. I will soon have a website running, but in the meantime just DM me.

You have a formidable legacy to live up to, all the best with it.  

21 hours ago, funkgod said:

Now... my pet hate 😡... when guys in the band dont coil the leads right and chuck them in the flight case, one backing girl singer got quite offended when i told her not to knot them, in the end i got so fed up of telling her and showing her i told her just to leave them alone, GGUUUURRRR

Whilst I appreciate the help that the other band members give, I invariably spend a half hour the day after a gig recoiling/repacking the audio and power cable cases!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

That’s great I’ll be in touch mate. Cheers

• Like 1