Why become a member? ×

Where is the New Angry Music?

Doctor J

Much of the anger has either dissolved into depression or is projected onto "others". Then you have the culture and normalisation of pathological narcissism, 'The Century of the Self', so that is obviously going to produce lean results.

Just as the last of the native Indians were kept quiet on reservations with rough whiskey and baubles and bangles, we took to the comforters too...

https://www.highexistence.com/amusing-ourselves-to-death-huxley-vs-orwell/

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.”

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World.

• Like 2

“Punks don’t like to hear it but they and Mrs. Thatcher were both on the coattails of something bigger, which was the rise of individualism where we could be whatever we wanted to be,” he explains. “The Sex Pistols’ song ‘I Wanna Be Me’ came at the same time as a speech by Mrs. Thatcher that had pretty much the same message."

Adam Curtis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

“Punks don’t like to hear it but they and Mrs. Thatcher were both on the coattails of something bigger, which was the rise of individualism where we could be whatever we wanted to be,” he explains. “The Sex Pistols’ song ‘I Wanna Be Me’ came at the same time as a speech by Mrs. Thatcher that had pretty much the same message."

Adam Curtis.

All groups (including punks) who claim to be individuals all seem to look the same and behave the same. They're probably less individual than the normies

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

All groups (including punks) who claim to be individuals all seem to look the same and behave the same. They're probably less individual than the normies

The conformity of individualism. It's exactly what they're suppose to be against. That's what Rotten meant...

Commodified herd mentality.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I can't think of anything recent, but then I can't think of anything that would beat Swift's observations of almost three hundred years ago, he could have written it yesterday afternoon:

"His majesty, in another audience, was at the pains to recapitulate the sum of all I had spoken; compared the questions he made with the answers I had given; then taking me into his hands, and stroking me gently, delivered himself in these words, which I shall never forget, nor the manner he spoke them in: “My little friend Grildrig, you have made a most admirable panegyric upon your country; you have clearly proved, that ignorance, idleness, and vice, are the proper ingredients for qualifying a legislator; that laws are best explained, interpreted, and applied, by those whose interest and abilities lie in perverting, confounding, and eluding them. I observe among you some lines of an institution, which, in its original, might have been tolerable, but these half erased, and the rest wholly blurred and blotted by corruptions. It does not appear, from all you have said, how any one perfection is required toward the procurement of any one station among you; much less, that men are ennobled on account of their virtue; that priests are advanced for their piety or learning; soldiers, for their conduct or valour; judges, for their integrity; senators, for the love of their country; or counsellors for their wisdom. As for yourself,” continued the king, “who have spent the greatest part of your life in travelling, I am well disposed to hope you may hitherto have escaped many vices of your country. But by what I have gathered from your own relation, and the answers I have with much pains wrung and extorted from you, I cannot but conclude the bulk of your natives to be the most pernicious race of little odious vermin that nature ever suffered to crawl upon the surface of the earth.”

Jonathan Swift - Gulliver's Travels: Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World 1726.

The current cultural zeitgeist is more Taylor Swift, and that means contrived blandness and, above all, studious avoidance of real controversy. Don't do anything that could alienate a significant amount of consumers or sponsors.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Misdee said:

The current cultural zeitgeist is more Taylor Swift, and that means contrived blandness and, above all, studious avoidance of real controversy. Don't do anything that could alienate a significant amount of consumers or sponsors.

It's helpful if you can connect your product to a movement:

“The principles underlying propaganda are extremely simple. Find some common desire, some widespread unconscious fear or anxiety; think out some way to relate this wish or fear to the product you have to sell; then build a bridge of verbal or pictorial symbols over which your customer can pass from fact to compensatory dream, and from the dream to the illusion that your product, when purchased, will make the dream come true. They are selling hope."

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World Revisited.

Like marketing The Spice Girls as a cause for feminism. Purchase a Spice Girls product and support feminism...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

They're a local band from Westbury in Wiltshire. They put on a decent show. Proper old fashioned punk rock

Yep -We've had them at a couple of our festivals and I've done monitors for them a few times. Very popular with the cider-punk crowd.

No top of the tops to me means no representation of the countrys feeling through music.

Without a mainstream national music program, it's harder to get music of the people / sign of the times into the national public eye.

Hence without looking I guess the charts is still full of forgettable drivel rather than any meaningful lasting social representation of the times.

Edited by la bam

25 minutes ago, la bam said:

No top of the tops to me means no representation of the countrys feeling through music.

Without a mainstream national music program, it's harder to get music of the people / sign of the times into the national public eye.

Hence without looking I guess the charts is still full of forgettable drivel rather than any meaningful lasting social representation of the times.

Music for people who don't like music will always sell more than challenging music. That's why Coldplay,  Nickelback and Imagine Dragons sell so many records, it's background music rather than music to listen to.

• Like 3