Why become a member? ×

Respected or fave bass players but with a small body of work

Barking Spiders

11 hours ago, Doctor J said:

You can also hear him with Kyuss, Masters of Reality, Mondo Generator, Vista Chino, Dwarves, Stöner and more. Not a small body of work by any means.

Thanks again Dr. J. I did go and listen to the latest Stöner album (Totally...) today. Loved it! 👊

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 18:48, Vin Venal said:

I mean obviously there's Cliff Burton, cuz he dead. Do dead people count?

He's on three albums and most people still think of him as the god of metal bass.

Jason Newstead could get a mention as well. He's only on 2 records and you can't hear him on one. He's a solid bassist and deserved better

• Like 2

On 19/10/2022 at 10:47, Grimalkin said:

Andy Rourke.

I love the guy! He does have quite a body of work up his quiet sleeves though...

6 released albums with The Smiths, loads of singles and a couple of albums with Morrissey, he's recorded an album each with The Pretenders, Sinead O'connor, D.A.R.K., Freebass and Ian Brown. He's also still active with his latest project Blitz Vega. Good lad! 👍 

On 19/10/2022 at 11:59, Bassassin said:

Tony played on 8 BC albums & dozens of non-album tracks. Great player (and certainly an influence of mine) but that's a significant output.

Wasn’t Tony Butler a session player when not in Big Country? In which case he could have large body of work … albeit  anonymous .

Glen Cornick, Jethro Tull. Played on the first three Tull albums, but "Replaced" cos he liked to party more than playing. When you consider how many albums and Tours Tull went to do its a comparatively small body of work for one of my all time favorite bassists. He played with a band called Paris but I never caught up with them. 

Doug Rauch.

He is best known for his playing in Santana in the early to mid,1970s. Also played with Carly Simon Betty Davis, Lenny White, Billy Cobham and very briefly with David Bowie.

A superb player and highly original bass player who was ahead of his time.  He had the whole funky 16th note thing going long before the wider world was aware of Jaco, and he did some double thumping too.

Unfortunately Doug became overwhelmed by drug problems and depression by the time he was 26, dropped out of the music business and died at 28 years old in 1979.  One of the very best players of that era, for sure.

By way of contrast, another one would be Chris Bostock who played with the JoBoxers in the early 1980s and a few other notables during that decade. Always liked his playing but he didn't go on to make very many more recordings.

Edited by Misdee