Why become a member? ×

Met my Goat today !

Wonky2

8 hours ago, Wonky2 said:

so, if you happen to hear his next album, he’s recording it at home and using that trade elf….. 

I’ll listen to it, and I’ll smile to know that the bass I’ll hear on it will be coming from the amp that I demo’d for him ! 

It’s when you hear your riffs you came up with while demo’ing you need to start cursing 🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Wonky2 said:

Thanks guys, a long post I know but just  had to tell someone who would understand!

Really cool to hear he’s a nice chap. His lines are up there with Jamerson, Rocco, Jaco and flea, in terms of influence on my bass journey. Not sure how well I could have kept my cool.

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Brilliant!! He hasn't aged much either.. 

not a bit! 
and he’s older than me as when we were talking gear he told me he plays a 74 jazz which jay bought him for his 21st birthday….. I told him I play a 76 jazz so great we were both using YOB jazz’s…..

I asked him bout Warwick and he said nahhh he was hankering to go back to Alembic.  
never thought I’d be shooting the stinky poo with stu zender, it was crazy bonkers yet completely normal hahah 

• Like 2

Just now, OliverBlackman said:

Really cool to hear he’s a nice chap. His lines are up there with Jamerson, Rocco, Jaco and flea, in terms of influence on my bass journey. Not sure how well I could have kept my cool.

Yeah we also talked about our early days influences and how he would run home from school to play jaco lines any minute of the day….

I said “funny that, for me ,it was stu zender lines !” 
which he found heart warming. 
said fame and money was nothing next to that feeling of having inspired people….. 

when I talk to anyone about that first album I usually mention how my mum bought me the album on cassette and how I literally wore the tape out playing it back and forth , the music just seemed to fade off the tape.

same with blood sugar sex magic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Wow! Ace day and story.

Imagine if you’d said in the booth: heard this one? And plonked out one of his lines…

”s’alright,” he says, “geezer wrote a nice line.”

To be fair I’m surprised I never as his lines are always in there somewhere when I’m noodling away…..

I stopped listening to Jamiroquai when he parted company with the band but those first two albums are still as great  today as they were way back them…

these days I thump away like Jamerson or duck Dunn, funny how things change for you as you get older but his dug in funk finger and thumb style shaped the flavour of my playing today……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

This is a great thread, must have been an awesome situation to have been in.

It sure was……. 
strange thing is, I only went there by chance as my son was at an open day at Lancaster uni, trains were a bit off so I drove him up there, I dropped him off and took advantage of the time to go to promenade, it’s a great shop and I actually traded my last amp there a few years back.

im near Liverpool so it’s a good drive up there , and no way I’d have been there otherwise.

we were delayed too by a broken down bus on the M6 so timeing was perfect….

destiny You might say…

manifest destiny 😂👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I have no idea who the guy is but Promenade Music in  Morecambe is a brilliant shop. 

Leftyp, he’s the original bass player from Jamiroquai ….. and has played around the world with many other super cool artists too…..

those first two albums were absolutely STONKING and at that time of the first, he’d only been playing for around two years.  That in it self was outrageous given not only the skill in the hands but also the width of feels in writing those perfect lines….. 

his short term level of experience at his tender age of 19 impressed on me (I was 17) that if I practiced day and night I could be that good.

it’s what pushed me on to live the bass, to firmly accept my role as a musician but namely, a bass player. 
As if a formal line in the sand to say, nope, not guitar, not drums, not keys…. It’s bass.  And further more, it’s groove.

now…. Whilst I could play like him (not really, but yes to some degree) back then I was simply copying him and his style….. could I have written lines like his? Not on your nelly mate, they’re something else entirely. Next level stinky poo.

maybe even a few levels above that.

So yep, I get not everyone will

inow him or his lines, but if I tell you he literally woke me up to what bass is about , that should cover it…

😍👍

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cato said:

Loved Jamiroqai back in the day, caught them live 2 or three times in the 90s.

Zender's basslines were absolutely key to their sound. A lot of the time the bass was the main hook of their songs.

Oh absolutley yes…..

the band I play in today plays very different music to that, but that influence , it’s still there in my own playing and means the lines are more than just bottom end girth of chord progressions… nope, they’re lines.