Why become a member? ×

New lighter Vintage and Compacts in stock!

alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='545389' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:35 PM']I see they say that getting a good bass sound is one of the hardest things when recording. I've always found it an absolute doddle, pick up bass, plug in, play, done - so I must be doing something right! I spend a thousand times as long getting the drums sorted.

Alex[/quote]

+1

New(ish) strings, decent bass, decent technique.DI (+mic for the overdriven amp crowd - pay attention oto phase between them)

Works every time.

Drums are a complete nightmare in comparison!

zillions of mics, spillage like an oil tanker, dodgy technique (more often than not) and then there are cymbals (how many drummers can play a hihat at an appropriate level to the snare?)

Then you almost always have to eq the nuts off it :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='545378' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:24 PM']"ah but you need an astrophysics degree to play root notes..."[/quote]

[i]finally[/i] a use for my undergraduate degree !!

:)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='pete.young' post='545793' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:16 PM']In a vain attempt to drag you back on topic, when will Midgets be available and what about Big Baby ?[/quote]

Midgets should be in next couple of weeks, Big Baby box will be done by then too but probably a fair bit of crossover tweaking before release.

Alex

[quote name='Musicman20' post='556698' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:43 PM']The double midget sounds good...how will it compare in weight to the Compact...and how will it compare in tone? I presuming roughly the same size?[/quote]

A smidgeon taller, more sensitive, slightly greater power handling, more midrange, less bottom. Slightly heavier because each 12" driver is almost as heavy as each 15" driver.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='556816' date='Jul 31 2009, 09:15 AM']A smidgeon taller, more sensitive, slightly greater power handling, more midrange, less bottom. Slightly heavier because each 12" driver is almost as heavy as each 15" driver.

Alex[/quote]

Cool! Well hopefully Ill try this Compact thats on tour...see how it fits in....then also have a think on the double midget. All in all the double midget sounds impressive.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='557981' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:21 PM']Midget!

Alex[/quote]

Hi Alex

Apologies if you have posted this elsewhere, but how would a pair of these compare to the rest of the range - Big One, Vintage, a pair of compacts..?

Ta!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='557989' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:31 PM']Hi Alex

Apologies if you have posted this elsewhere, but how would a pair of these compare to the rest of the range - Big One, Vintage, a pair of compacts..?

Ta![/quote]

Id like to hear this...thats why im tempted by either a double midget with horn, or two midgets one with a horn.....or a Compact with a midget!

Thanks for the Midget photo Alex! Looks cute but I'm wondering how you're going to deal with fixing the grille securely. I imagined that the cab would be a bit wider so that you had room to mimic the Compact's very neat arrangement.

And I'd still like to see a photo of a finished Midget sitting on top of a Compact, when you're ready.

I've gigged a few times with the Compact/LMII/passive P-bass set-up. I love the tone and I'm suitably impressed by the volume too but I'd still prefer a 4-ohm option to get more headroom. Although the Compact/Midget combination sounds ideal for me I'm still having thoughts about 2 Compacts. I know what to expect from the latter but I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the Compact/Midget, perhaps even some test results.

[quote name='mikek' post='558938' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:22 AM']Thanks for the Midget photo Alex! Looks cute but I'm wondering how you're going to deal with fixing the grille securely. I imagined that the cab would be a bit wider so that you had room to mimic the Compact's very neat arrangement.

And I'd still like to see a photo of a finished Midget sitting on top of a Compact, when you're ready.

I've gigged a few times with the Compact/LMII/passive P-bass set-up. I love the tone and I'm suitably impressed by the volume too but I'd still prefer a 4-ohm option to get more headroom. Although the Compact/Midget combination sounds ideal for me I'm still having thoughts about 2 Compacts. I know what to expect from the latter but I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the Compact/Midget, perhaps even some test results.[/quote]

+1 That would be interesting to see.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mikek' post='558938' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:22 AM']Thanks for the Midget photo Alex! Looks cute but I'm wondering how you're going to deal with fixing the grille securely. I imagined that the cab would be a bit wider so that you had room to mimic the Compact's very neat arrangement.[/quote]

Life keeps getting in the way of the Midget completion, v annoying. However the way the grill is fixed on the Compact would make the Midget wider than necessary - bear in mind that many bass cabs just have the grill mounted a few rubber spacers, so this method should work just fine. It'll also allow a fabric grill to be fitted or a coaxial tweeter.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm thinking of updating my bass setup and came across your website - I'm interested in the big one and was wondering what kind of wait time there is on these at the moment? Also, I'm looking at buying a bass head to go with it (I'm currently using an Allligator bass combo I got in about 1992 but it weighs about 5 stone and I'm struggling to move it these days!) and was wondering whether 200watts is enough to power it adequately, or would you recommend going a bit higher?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have a few Big Ones at the moment - just waiting for crossovers to be fitted so I can have them done in a couple of days. Regarding power requirement, it totally depends on how loud your band is and your tonal preference. The quieter the band, obviously the less the power needed. But also the smoother your playing (better control of dynamics) or the greater your tolerance of the aggressive grind that clipping will give, the less power you'll need. So 200W could be fine if either you're not too loud, or you like getting angry or you're a really smooth controlled player. But if you're in a loud metal band and you like a super clean slap sound then you might need 1000W. Whereabouts do you lie?

Alex