Why become a member? ×

New lighter Vintage and Compacts in stock!

alexclaber

No cabs left from this batch. Next production run will be:

10 x Compact
5 x Big One
2 x Vintage

Let me know if you want to reserve one of these and if you'd like the non-Vintage ones given than 'old school' look. PM or email me rather than reply here, I'd rather keep this thread as tidy as possible! If there's enough demand I'll get more Vintage models made but they take up rather a lot of space once complete so I don't want to sit on them for too long...

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='503182' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:01 PM']What does the Compact look like with old school styling?[/quote]

I know this one - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=466780"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=466780[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='503182' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:01 PM']Are you thinking of creating any super light 4x10 cabs?[/quote]

If he did, they'd be in a vertically stacked array.

S.P.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='503182' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:01 PM']What does the Compact look like with old school styling?

Are you thinking of creating any super light 4x10 cabs?[/quote]

I believe Alex has mentioned not being able to get 10" drivers as good as the 15" drivers he uses.

Also the 410 design is nowhere near as good as what Alex provides already.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='503325' date='Jun 1 2009, 09:33 PM']Ive no doubt the 15s sound great....and I know ill get told im wrong, but I love the force of 4 10s at once...or 8 hahah.[/quote]

Four 10"s at once have nowhere near the force of the one 15" in the Big One at once, though you'll probably have to hear it to believe it if you're not into all the techy numbers! The main problem I have with 4x10"s is the off-axis response is so poor unless you make it as a vertical column which is too inconvenient in size and shape. You can get round this by only using the woofers for lows and then having a separate midrange driver, but if you're doing that then four 10"s will sound the same as one 15" and the area x excursion will be what determines max output (and the 15" in the Big One has more area x excursion that the best four neo 10"s all working in unison, plus it weighs less).

It is quite a big mental shift to go from the conventional 4x10" approach that's been dominant for the last 25 years but before that everyone was into much bigger cabs, often with bigger woofers and I believe bass players are forward thinking enough to again take the risk of trying something that challenges convention!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='503501' date='Jun 2 2009, 08:04 AM']Four 10"s at once have nowhere near the force of the one 15" in the Big One at once, though you'll probably have to hear it to believe it if you're not into all the techy numbers! The main problem I have with 4x10"s is the off-axis response is so poor unless you make it as a vertical column which is too inconvenient in size and shape. You can get round this by only using the woofers for lows and then having a separate midrange driver, but if you're doing that then four 10"s will sound the same as one 15" and the area x excursion will be what determines max output (and the 15" in the Big One has more area x excursion that the best four neo 10"s all working in unison, plus it weighs less).

It is quite a big mental shift to go from the conventional 4x10" approach that's been dominant for the last 25 years but before that everyone was into much bigger cabs, often with bigger woofers and I believe bass players are forward thinking enough to again take the risk of trying something that challenges convention!

Alex[/quote]

This does indeed make sense. Please don't think my 'brush off' of the technical side of cabinet making and speakers is ignorance; for me its all a learning process. Im in the middle of a law post grad so my head is exploding with information, I can't fit much more in. Over the past few months I've concentrated a lot of my bass gear and playing, more so than I ever have, and its leaving me with a lowwwww bank balance! I am enjoying it though, and its interesting to know how these items actually work. I've never owned a neo cab, but I am ready to buy one soon as an option to my rig arsenal.

I will keep an eye out for what you are making. My preference, because I admit I am vain even with bass equipment, is that vintage look you have in the other thread. That indeed is a nice finish! I'd pay more for a vintage style.

Have you thought, well no doubt you have, about other finishes, like tweed? (like Fender Bassman, Aguilar).

It'd also be cool to have a 'vintage' logo to go with the vintage look, so the player has two options on styling completely. Just a few ideas I thought i'd chip in :)

Im going off on one....Ill watch out for the new pics on your new models.

Sinking under the sheer weight of bass cabs here...

Everyone that's waiting for a Compact, they'll be going out on Monday, just been too short of time to get them finished and tested! Still waiting on shipping cartons for the Big Ones, so once they're here I'll start final assembly on them, hopefully shipping towards the end of next week. Vintages slowly moving, maybe the week after? I was hoping I might be left with some stock but as it stands there's just one Compact and one Vintage unclaimed.

Alex

[quote name='Musicman20' post='505636' date='Jun 4 2009, 05:49 PM']Bloomin heck that was quick! How long does it take you to get stock back?[/quote]

Depends how fast we can build them! Also waiting on more drivers to come in so target is end of June.

Next batches will be:

10 x Compact
10 x Midget
5 x Big One
1 x Big Baby
1 x Double Midget

More Big Babies, Double Midgets and Vintages can be made to order, only a finite amount of space here so it's juggling act as to what I attempt to hold in stock based on anticipated demand.

Alex

[quote name='Musicman20' post='505713' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:56 PM']Do you have anymore pics of the Compact and Big One? Round the back etc?[/quote]

I'll be doing a photo session soon so I'll add that. The back of the Compact is completely blank bar a single Speakon jack in the upper left corner. Same on the Big One bar the inset roller-blade casters on the bottom rear edge. They don't have a conventional input plate because it would add weight and lower rigidity - plus normally that's also where you'd mount the crossover but the crossover on the Big One is far too big and heavy to go on such a plate.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='505713' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:56 PM']Can you put the vintage finish onto these two? Or dont you recommend it?[/quote]

Yes, £25 extra. Something I keep omitting to mention on the site! Two Compacts and one Big One from this batch are vintageised.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='505731' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:13 PM']I'll be doing a photo session soon so I'll add that. The back of the Compact is completely blank bar a single Speakon jack in the upper left corner. Same on the Big One bar the inset roller-blade casters on the bottom rear edge. They don't have a conventional input plate because it would add weight and lower rigidity - plus normally that's also where you'd mount the crossover but the crossover on the Big One is far too big and heavy to go on such a plate.

Yes, £25 extra. Something I keep omitting to mention on the site! Two Compacts and one Big One from this batch are vintageised.

Alex[/quote]

Wicked....id love to see some pics of the vintageised cabs!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='505731' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:13 PM']...but the crossover on the Big One is far too big and heavy to go on such a plate.[/quote]
Seriously, you can't say that and [i]not[/i] give us pictures of the über-behemoth crossover. :)

PICS! WE DEMAND PICS!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='505731' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:13 PM']Two Compacts...from this batch are vintageised...[/quote]

...and they're heading my way :) :lol: :rolleyes:
I'll get pic's up ASAP for you all to see. Should look sweet under my Mesa Boogie Bass 400+!

JTB

[quote name='jonthebass' post='506305' date='Jun 5 2009, 01:09 PM']...and they're heading my way :) :lol: :rolleyes:
I'll get pic's up ASAP for you all to see. Should look sweet under my Mesa Boogie Bass 400+!

JTB[/quote]
Two of them? You'll flatten everything in sight! Good work that man :D